Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brake light switch???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiddy windy, Apr 22, 2014.

1. fiddy windy

fiddy windy
    from S.Carolina

Does anyone know where the brake light switch is on a 1950 Chrysler Windsor? The guy I bought the car from had new brake lines put on the car. I think they did not put the switch back on. I can't find it.

I got H.A.M.B apps for that!

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I'd imagine that car had a hydraulic switch mounted very near or on the master. Wires are probably dangling nearby.

3. fiddy windy

fiddy windy
    from S.Carolina

Yea me to. That why I think they left it off. Still haven't located the wires yet guess I'll have to find the terminal block in the rear and trace them out.

I got H.A.M.B apps for that!

4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I would put a switch on the pedal. Fluid pressure switches tend to fail and start fires when they do as brake fluid is flammable.

5. George

George

On some the hyd. switch is on the "splitter".

6. Man,I have never heard that one,,I have inline switches on all my cars. HRP

7. Forget about the hydraulic switch, get a brake light switch for a '55-'59 Chevy / GMC pickup. It is a lever type mechanical switch that will work on anything that has the pedal assembly under the floor. Mounts to underside of toe board, switch lever activated by pedal arm, simple as it gets.

8. Back of the master, in the splitter. It's hydraulic.

BTW, I just use a relay with the hydraulic switch on mine. Cuts the current going through the switch, makes 'em last forever. No issues.

Cosmo

9. My 50 Desoto's switch is about 3/4 of the way back on the frame on the drivers side rear. The wires should be hanging back there somewhere. I bought my replacement switch at Advance Auto Parts and they had it in stock.

10. What kind of relay?

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Considering how many cars came factory equipped with pressure switches, I'm amazed I've never heard of one catching fire yet? I just replaced my 51 year old switch, but it was still working. Just wanted everything new when I built the car.