Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Advanced metal shaping - where the hell should I cut this ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Apr 21, 2014.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Upon further review of your photos, I still wouldn't cut anything just yet! You've still got to weld in the sail panels, and tie in the lower filler panel below the deck lid, and tie the quarters to where they join in with the wheelhouses. As the quarter hangs now, the rear most area is outboard from where it will need to be, and will need twisting inboard to meet the quarter. That twisting or ''tweeking'' could well change the shape of the area you're fighting!

I'd suggest you tack in those other panels, add some braces to the deck opening, and refine the various shapes of ALL the panels, once the basic panel gaps have been established. You'll drive yourself ta serious drink trying to refine shapes on damaged areas, only to have to rework those areas when you discover your basic panel shut lines were off to begin with.:mad:

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Now anytime I check in to this thread I feel like I'm watching the season finale of the latest hit TV drama LOL.

3. Damn ! :)

Attached Files:

4. While it was quiet, and nobody was looking ...

Now the big part of the 1/4 behind the door is really really out of wack, lol
    The line and flow of the bead is much better in this pic and even better now as I've played with it some more. Still playing with clamps but that's 1-1/2 smaller at the tail here.

Attached Files:

5. Roadsir

Roadsir

Curious what is the history on the body? I think I recall seeing pictures of it with paint on it and didn't quite look like a '34.
    Was it tweaked from damage?, or tweaked from the hands of the previous owner?

You have your hands full, but it looks like you are making great progress.

6. Thanks man !

Oh yeah it's tweaked, but it didnt have to be.
    Check it out here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850807

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

8. Too cool. Now what?
    Subscribed

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Looks better already!

10. I just went through the other post. It is amazing what bondo and nice paint will hide. When purchasing a car/project I always carry a magnet!!!

11. I've got the bead almost where I need it on the top view.
    But messing with it throws this side view of the line off, right now it looks like the tail needs to come down a little, but the bead has to still come out a little.
    It's got my wheel house off by 1-1/2 " now! remember that they were made to fit where it was before I cut it apart. 1-1/2" might as well be a mile.

Attached Files:

12. Here we go ! Nice now.

Attached Files:

13. On the other side,
    By tape measure it needs 3/4" to match.
    Then what would you say that roof needs?
    3" or so maybe stretch? Too early to tell yet but its going to need something

Ok now the picture shows up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  14. Slow going - lining up the 1/4s took for ever !
    But there's some

I needed to make a 1/2 x 1 and shrink stretch the profiles I wanted and then tacked them to the noodle like 1/4s . Both sides the same. Exactly the same ugghhhh

Attached Files:

15. Here's how I got there.
    Measure measure measure and measure some more.
    Then plot those points.
    With a pieces of 3/8 x 1 oak, we bent it to catch all the points we could. This creates a natural flowing curve, kinda sexy too.
    Then make that 1/2 x 1 follow the lines.

Attached Files:

16. Those curves need to flow natural from the doors out into thin air.
    They sort of tell you were they want to be. Just getting them even side to side at about 20 different pints is really time consuming and makes me want to throw shit unless I walk away for a while. Just when you think you got it, I'd measure something else and find something not right enough.

Wound up cutting 3/4 up from the bead and 2" off the deck lid.
    This was this morning and finally the 1/4s are where they are staying.

Attached Files:

17. The rest of the day was screwing around moving the deck lid opening around to match the side profile. But that's set now too.

Attached Files:

18. Then I started getting the metal figured out .

Attached Files:

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

20. This is the deck lid profile line i mentioned earlier after it was moved. It was all cattywhompasses and wound up bringing the tail down over an inch and moving the frame back about 1/2".
    That wasnt fun because it was braced well, then remove the braces and you have a jello like structure you are attempting place precisely.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  21. Thanks!

Here's another angle that shows how it lays a little better

Attached Files:

22. Boy that looks just great! Nice job.

23. I need a deep throat shrinker and I'm kinda stuck.

Anyone want to rent/lease/trade me one?