Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Hillman Husky 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HuskyV8, Feb 28, 2014.

1. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Yeah, fits the car perfectly. I've always liked the mechanical gauges too since you can tell the temp even when the car is turned off.

2. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

What a cool project...speaking of cool, have you considered going with an electric fan or maybe a pair? That might be one solution to your fan/thermostat issue.

Please keep us updated with pictures....lots of pictures.

3. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I'm hoping I can stick with a mechanical fan. I'm going to try and figure out a way to do it.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The Alum type thermost housing that's 90 degrees and swivels is spot on. I have one on my Five Six because of custom core support a non stock rad as well. I JB welded the O-ring grove, meaning I filled it in then use a gasket rather than the O-ring. No leak ever. Oh ya, I painted it black so it didn't look so billet ;) :)

5. George

George

Any reason to not use the OEM crossover (opening is on the top!)?

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just wondering if this pulley might be on upside down? Isn't that raised area around the center opening supposed to fit into the harmonic balancer to center it?

7. 4tford

4tford

I had an issue with my crossover with the front discharge I look at installing these offsets from Holley it might work for your application instead of buying a different crossover.

Attached Files:

8. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I did pull the original cross over out last night to see if it was an option. I hope to look at it more later this weekend.

9. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

That could be. I did try it the other way but it was spaced too far out and the pulleys didn't line up. It could be that the washer behind that bolt is too big and is keeping it from seating correctly. Last night I emailed Bob at Hot Heads to see if that's what's going on.

10. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Thanks for the info. I'll look this one up to see if it might work. We'll find a way....some way or the other.

11. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I was looking at these last night. Only found the dimensions on one and it measured 2 7/8" tall and I have 3" of room from the mounting flange to the fan. I might be able to change the fan to get a little more room.

Right now I've got the original 18" 392 fan in there. I can change that to something else if it helps. What size fan are other people using on their 392's?

12. cheesegrater

cheesegrater
    from california

Everyone has their way: Heres mine Leave the outside alone muffle the motor to make quiet as possible make it safe put in a strong rearend Funky wheels & blow peoples mind when you smoke by them

13. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Sounds like a good formula.

14. expavr

expavr

"Right now I've got the original 18" 392 fan in there. I can change that to something else if it helps. What size fan are other people using on their 392's?"

Its hard to tell from the photo that shows the radiator installed, but it looks like the hood support brace will partially block some airflow which makes it important to take advantage of as much surface area as possible on the radiator. When it comes to that the size of the fan may not be as important as a shroud which concentrates the airflow through the core. The other thing to consider is that with the conventional fan the engine RPM dictates how much air is being pulled through the core. This can become a problem in stop and go traffic. I'm using a shrouded electric fan for cooling a 392. It pulls 3500 CFM and cycles on and off regardless of engine speed which makes it much easier to maintain the engine's temp at 180* in all traffic conditions.

15. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Thanks for the info Expavr. The hood support brace area will block some airflow. There is a piece above that brace that has a rubber piece that seals it against the hood. The idea is to force air through it. That was for the original 43 HP motor but I'll give it a try. The plan is to try and fit a shroud to get the fan so it really pulls air through. If I can help it I'm going to avoid an electric fan but will go to one if I have to. My other Husky with a 345 HP 302/C4 has a similar fan with no shroud and runs below 180 most of the time.

Right now I'm concentrating on how to fit an upper radiator hose and will then tackle the shroud and how to fit one.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think the washer/bolt needs to come off and stack on top of the pulley with a longer bolt once the pulley is mounted on the balancer. That way the raised area on the pulley seats in the balancer to center it.

17. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I'm working with Bob at Hot Heads to find out for sure. All these parts came from him including the bolt and washer so I probably have something put together wrong.

Bob has been a great help and resource so I'm sure he'll help me get it figured out. He's been answering my questions over the weekend.....including today...Easter Sunday. Thanks Bob!

I know what I'm doing is out of the box a little so some of these are the fun challenges to overcome.

18. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Talked to Bob at Hot Heads and I have the wrong lower pulley. I got the right part number ordered but the pulley in the box didn't match the part number on the box they sent. Bob is sending me the correct pulley.

The damper I am using has a 2 1/4" index but the pulley I got had a 2" index so it wasn't seating and centering itself. The new pulley he is sending will also have a 2 1/4" index.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sound's fimiliar? Oh ya that's it. The joke about the Hot Dog in the Hall Way :eek: ;) :D

20. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Still working on getting the radiator mounting planned out. I ordered a 15" and a 17" fan today from Summit. I'm hoping these fit a little better than the 392 fan. Need to find just a little more room for that upper radiator hose.

Yesterday I ordered a 90 degree swivel outlet for the water crossover. Hoping it arrives today. Might also go to the local wrecking yard to look for a fan shroud.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I use a local sheet metal shop to have shrouds built. I just make them up from construction paper; then take that to the shop and he makes one from sheet metal to match. Usually only charges me $20-$25 to make them.

22. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I might have to do that. Went to the local wrecking yard yesterday and they didn't have anything that was even close.

Some interesting cars at this place including an Edsel, Toronados, Ramblers, Mercury, and several other 50's Fords. I even saw an old Vega wagon...with a 4 speed.

23. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Does anyone out there have one of these supercharged PAW water crossovers they would be willing to sell? I need the one on the upper right hand corner of this picture. This would simplify the routing of the upper radiator hose for me.

[​IMG]

24. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

D-Russ, thanks for the first hand info. I just put in a 14" fan and one of those swivel necks. It would possibly work but I'm going to look for something similar to what you did. I did buy another one to try and it may work too. Here are the two I have.

The first is the swivel neck. It's only 1/4" away from the fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is from Summit and is listed as being for small/big block Chevy Mfr. #: 10108470. This has a pretty good angle. It does come close to the alt bracket but I think it would be pretty easy finding a hose for this. This type can be found polished or chromed too I believe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ The thing's we subject our selve's to. I feel the pain, but hey, without it there would be no gain.

26. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Feeling lots of pain for every small bit of gain on this one.

27. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

So tinkering around tonight I found a new obstacle. I thought I had almost figured out the water neck situation when another problem popped up. Looking at pulley alignment I started to picture where the fan belt would go. I got out the tape measure to get an idea if how long a belt I would need and I could see that the water neck was in the direct path of where the belt needs to go. Another problem that will now need solving.

Looking at the Hot Heads air cond bracket I have I can see it's very similar to the alt bracket. The holes seem to line up so it may be possible that I can have it machined to be a reverse image of the alt bracket. This will allow me to move the alt to the passenger side which I think will solve the problem.

Sure wish I could find a bracket that would mount the alt in the mid level of the engine. That's not really possible though because to get the pulleys to line up it needs to be down low by the oil pan or up high above the valve cover.

[​IMG]

28. alumslot

alumslot

I need one small to clear a 3 duce set up. I found this one small but it cost a lot. Very good quality. Hope this might help.

Jim

paceperformance.com/i-5147258-pss1053-chevy-stainless-steel-thermostat-housing-natural-finish.html

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Do you have enough room to put a fan spacer between the fan and pulley? A small spacer will get the fan away from the hose outlet.

30. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

The belt would hit right in the middle so I'd need a big spacer. That would also throw off the alternator alignment and that would be difficult to fix. I'm trying to avoid that as it's space challenged up by the radiator. I went to the Chevy water pump to save room on the front end.