Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '40 ford modified hot rod truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2345.coupe, Nov 16, 2013.

1. adam401

adam401

This ^ 100%

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. thanks man....I think it's gonna be a blast to drive also...

I don't have to roll the truck outside to see your "issues" and I appreciate your concern and tack in pointing out the dispositioned looking front end. I've seen that early on into this build..... but I want the axle at the mid-engine mark......

yea, thanks man, I've been telling my friends it would look different if I did what you just described..........here's the deal....I know what your saying is correct for ''your look". Those changes would make the car balls on if I wanted "that look". My goal is to be driving this girl by may 2014, june the latest. Then in sept. the Adirondack Nationals in Lake George. Then my model a coupe build, then my '30 ford sedan build.....so time is not on my side.
    I appreciate your comments and trust me , your suggestions will take up a lot of space in my head. If I'm not happy with how she looks I will certainly change her. HaHa... mock it up and stare at it , man that's what I do......

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  3. Agree with louvers, the front axle centerline needs to come forward to around the grille shell like suggested. As it sits now it looks like a pickup with the rear end cut off and shortened up. Like those airline tugs you see at the airport. Bad proportions distract from what you want as end result. Longer wheelbase will also ride better.

The funny thing is after all your changes, there is not much left of the 48 F-1 frame and axle.

The top of the grille shell should be slightly less than the cowl. *If* you had a hood, it should slope downward just a bit for best aesthetics. A top chop would make it look better also, but with your severe channeling, you would end up with no room.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I hope my buddy Jeem doesn't kill me for posting this here, but here is the one that is burned in my mind as what I would like to do with one of these trucks. Thing is, with a little tweaking you could have something similar with what you are working at right now. I'll shut up now and let you continue with where you are headed, but check this out....

Attached Files:

5. HotRod33

HotRod33

That is a pretty cool sketch. ...

6. luke13

luke13

ive watched this from the start, and youve taken the critisim well, the style is not exactly my cup of tea, but good on ya. thats what suits you its your vsion an thanks for sharing, but i do hope you drop the grill to follow the line of your fire wall at least.

7. My honest opinion is that it looks like a rat rod.. BUUUUUT...

I don't mind these trucks IF they are done well, there isn't many of them around that are done well or look right.. but there is that picture of the one that is completely side on.. i'll try and find it.. The proportions seems to be a 1/3 deal.. Get the length of the whole truck.. and divide it into three equal portions. The front, the cab, and the bed. It seems to look good when done like that.

Need Louvers sketch above to me looks like the above 3rds thing i've mentioned.. and it looks as good as a bobber truck is going to get! Copy that, and you'll have a winner (as far as bobber trucks goes..).

8. Heres some examples i googled up that i think look proportionately correct.

This one is probably the best.

[​IMG]

Or this one is very close..

[​IMG]

This also is not so bad..

[​IMG]

I also seem to remember "minewithnoshine" building one of these trucks from memory.. years ago though and it came up good. Search for that.

On the other hand.. this is what yours reminds me of..

[​IMG]

This looks fucking terrible.

9. Also.. if it was me wanting a fenderless truck.. i'd build a Model A to '34 truck. They look so much better.

10. I love this guy.........telling me my car looks fucking terrible plus insulting someone's elses build......
    I think my car looks great since I've lowered the radiator/grille. If I'm not mistaken hot rodding started because people wanted something different than their parents car so they modified their parents car. They used the parts they could scrounge up and parts they could afford. They build an affordable "dream".Their own dream. Some people copied other people's ideas while others just build their own personal dream car.You just want to stuff me into your ''mold" so my car looks like all the others. I don't fit in your "mold". I want a mid-engine axle hot rod, you don't...I win, it's my build. Nothing can be different in your "little world". Well I don't live in your little world ...I live in a world where anything is possible and where it's ok to build your own dreams, and I'm having a fucking ball doing it......I'm building and driving my dreams.............

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  11. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

These trucks are real tuff to jugle the perportions around on so they look write, spend some time on it and it will pay off. Here's one of my favorites

Brad

Attached Files:

12. I think that truck is sweet. I know what you're saying about ..''proportions". If I wanted that look I would have built a frame and done things differently. Remember, I'm not finished yet, still lots more to do.
    thanks for your tactfulness, I appreciate it.

13. lowered the grille/radiator 4", now it's the same height as the cowl hood line, gonna swap out the thermostat housing so I can lower the top radiator hose ......also added a drive shaft loop........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. sota

sota

What a load

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  15. sub-floor almost completed...next is the steering.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. this is what I came up with for steering.....appears to work and function well, reinforced the dash bottom and tied it into the firewall, real solid ....turns smoothly with full weight on it. No binding or clunking......just need a smaller steering wheel. Need to find a ford steering wheel adapter to fit the f-1 shaft and upgrade to a newer, smaller steering wheel.Not having very good luck finding the 'correct" adapter.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. I looked at that option and wanted to go that route. If I wasn't running 3 pedals I could of had enough room to pull that off. As it stands now, I have no room for a gas pedal so I have to modify the brake and clutch pedals to make room for a gas pedal.
    thanks for the question.

18. started wiring......using the rebel wiring kit........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. banginona40

banginona40

20. chazintx2008

chazintx2008

Something to be said for making your vision a reality. I like the bobber truck style. I plan to take an old pickup cab and rework the hell out of it just to see if the ideas in my head will actually look good.
    As long as its safe for you and others on the road...make yourself happy first..

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. thanks man...that's the way I see it...
    good luck on your build.....

22. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

2345.coupe, I Just now found this thread, and I read it all. You must have had marvelous parents to prepare you so well for life. Anyone can learn to weld or any other supposed need that some pointed out.

Not just anyone can learn to handle life as well as you do... such as adjust and do something over with no complaint, or handle criticism with class (even if it isn't given with that same class). You have my admiration. Tell your folks, "Ya done good." :)

bengeltiger likes this.
  23. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Glad you got help with the important welding....really love you keeping a ford in a ford and not a nother rodent motor(talk about rats and mice yuck) ...looks like your learning a bunch as you go and havin fun!.....one question though, don't you think "bobber " trucks look like somebody forgot to finish em?......lookin forward to seeing it done!

24. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Oh hey it looks like I got promoted!.....not a fng anymore!.....still like your build 2345

25. my preparation for being happy, joyous, and free today came from years of being restless,irritable and discontent.

thanks for your kind words.........

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  26. good, now think about running with the "big boys" and becoming a ''Alliance Member"

the reason I post on the HAMB is for members to point out the good and not so good points of my build.I want to have a safe ride.
    For me, I like the look of the model a rear spring and crossmember, with the ford rear and parallel bars showing. Topped of with a z'ed up frame and model T oval gas tank, i think that's cooolest.

27. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I agree

28. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think if you bob those frame horns out front it will go a long way. That should be at the top of your list. I agree with louvers bout the front axle and stance but I understand where you're coming from.

So, you just need to put your mind towards other ways of getting the look to work. An Idea I had was to put some sheetmetal in that gap between your radiator and your block, kinda like the 35 radiators with the oversized reservoirs on top. Take some cardboard and play with wrapping it around your shell some.

Another thing to consider would be a mock 35 radiator top and hood sides. That might be a hot ticket.

I like where your rear end landed. I think if you try some bedsides on back there it will be a look you'll like.

I did a quick and very dirty photochop for you just to illustrate:

Attached Files:

29. the front rails are not finished yet. I've got the truck insured and registered with '40 tags in N.Y.S., so I'm "legal" for the open road. My goal is to finish her up, drive her and get the bugs out,then drive the wheels off her.Then this winter I'll consider making chances eg. moving the axle forward.

volvobrynk likes this.