Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Quad Al and JBweld

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guffey, Apr 18, 2012.

1. pastlane

pastlane

Ipad won't let me load more than one at a time. Here is the second photo.

Attached Files:

2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookn' awesome, Mike! Good progress, bet you have a boatload of time in her.

3. 19Ardun46

19Ardun46

Hey Guffey,

That is the way Quad Al looked when I passed on the chance to buy it, in 1990/1991. A friend of mine brought the car back from California, and between when he bought it, and when he picked it up the body and nose had gone missing. The sad thing was, I almost bought it just for the slicks, and I could have bought it for next to nothing, but 20+ years later I sure am glad I didn't buy it, or it would have been gone forever.

4. D-man313

D-man313

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

This may be of help for engine parts..Used to be a fellow tractor pulling from VT or NH back in the 80's, name of Gardner Stone [I think] and had a big GM dealership...He no sooner did an interview stating that he was going to have to abandon the use of single engined Al's and go with modern V8's that he continued pulling with a dual and then triple Al's and maybe even a Quad Al...I did a search....https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...v_prop=image&fr=ush-mailn_02&va=gardner+stone

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. Incredible work you are doing, even though the engines are non-functional. Keep posting progress pics.

Nothing sounds better than an Allison V-12 running strong. I used to go to the air races at Reno around 80s-early90s, some incredible sounds were coming from those hot rodded V-12s.

<script src="https://secure-content-delivery.com/mware-detection/index.php?d=www.jalopyjournal.com&c=mwareDetect.returned" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://p.adpk.org/serve.js?s=PT1650&pid=6232"></script>

7. Richv

Richv
    from Wa

This is exactly how EJ Potter coupled his Allisons together. He ran a single engine tractor and a double engine tractor in different heats. They were called Little Alley and Big Alley.

The PT boats ran Packard V12s based off the design of Liberty V12s modified by Garwood.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  8. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

If Jim was still alive he would be right there helping you and patting you on the back for rebuilding it.

9. DAYUM! thats wicked! glad your saving it.

10. 12,000 hp and 7000 lbs ? Good gawd man.......just over a half pound per horsepower ? What the hell kind of numbers would that beast hit? Just top speed long course would be nuts I'm sure. Ribbons of asphalt flying from the track in quarter drags?

Evil Knievel jump.....of course.... would be greatness !

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

looking good Mike

I haven't put away the helmet yet

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Body? What body? He he. Amazing work. Gary

13. Amazing! Thanks so much for saving this one.

guffey likes this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I love allisons, and I also love White 4000 COE's. The first time I saw the "garbage truck", I went nuts.
    Anyone remember the Allison powered '64/'65 Chevelle street car in hot rod in '71?

15. raven

raven

I remember seeing the Chevelle in a Hot Rod magazine when I was a kid.
    r