Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects new to H.A.M.B, wanted to share my project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mjhartz87, Oct 8, 2013.

1. mjhartz87

mjhartz87
    from Conroe TX

hello all, my name is josh and i joined the HAMB to obtain knowledge and share what little i have.

i picked up a 1936 chevy half ton a couple of years ago and i am finally getting around to working on it. when i purchased it out of corsicana, it was a total heap but hopefully someday ill get this ol' glory on the road. i recently purchased a home and am finally getting the shop completed.

since purchasing it i have obtained a 1938 1.5 ton chassis (did not have the original). i have sectioned it and boxed it most of the way so far. i added a heidts ifs kit and i have a ford 9" and a tci 4-link to still be fabbed to it. here are a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mjhartz87

mjhartz87
    from Conroe TX

3. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Nice,bet you can't wait for those headers to turn blue,you seem to know what your doin,keep it up,good luck Gaz!

4. mjhartz87

mjhartz87
    from Conroe TX

i honestly have ideas on what im supposed to do and how i think i can do it but im no where near to knowing what i am doing. haha

and yes, i cant wait to see those headers turn blue but im not sure if i want to use that engine anymore. im a diesel guy at heart and part of me wants to try and throw in a cummins 3.9 4bt. how i would love to have a diesel in there. im not a fan of exhaust stacks on new model diesels but this fully restored with a chrome stack coming out the wood bed would be sweet!!

5. Lukefink

Lukefink

Mjhartz87 what is the name of the blue paint you sprayed on the engine its Rad!

6. BadBlownMotor

BadBlownMotor
    from Michigan

Welcome to The H.A.M.B.

I like the looks of the old bodies like the 1936, but they aren't very roomy inside however. I'm a big guy (6'3") so maybe that's part of the problem. I have a friend who has a 1936... well... sort of. He is much smaller than me and he barely fits in the driver side behind the wheel.

Here's some candied photos below...Lol!

Attached Files:

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

Welcome! Lookin good, you have skills, keep posting progress. John

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

It looks like you are having fun and you are doing good quality work. Good! Just dont claim this is a traditional hotrod. Traditional hotrods have NEVER used diesel engines.
    You may want to look up the definition of the word 'restored'. It means identical to the day it came out of the factory

Words having meaning. If they dont have meaning, no one will be able to understand what is being said.

9. welcome to the board ....

you have a good start on the project =)

10. You're where ya belong, welcome!

11. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Great start. Didn't see the answer to what color you painted the block. Looks cool. What color??

12. mjhartz87

mjhartz87
    from Conroe TX

It is an Eastwood cermaic engine paint. I do believe this it's the olds 455 color but to be sure the part# 777 51683. When looking be sure to check out the amc metallic engine paint! It's got more of a greenish hue look to it. It took me forever to decide with one.

I've always loved the low cab models. Sure a ford would have been nice for parts availability but that takes away half the fun. Love the candy btw. I'm six foot so I'm doing all I can to make the most of the room.

Kind words but trust me. I'm lacking some skills this is my first really old project and retrospectively it's totally the easiest thing in the world but In actually parts are very rare, I have no sheet metal skills. Everything has become easier knowing that anything and everything is game on. I can do whatever we want. With this truck my intention is to run the full fenders. The 1938 1.5 ton chassis I'm using is only 36" wide in the back and my ford 9" is only 50" wide. Realistically I have a TON of room for back spacing and tucking some big meat under the fenders.

About time! All those childhood years of my father making me watch the Sunday power block instead of looney tunes!! It's his fault I'm a Motörhead and a pack rat!

Eastwood ceramic engine paint. Part# 777 51683. They have tons of great colors and I love the metal flake ones!

13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good so far.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Your friend is purdy.......:eek::p

15. mjhartz87

mjhartz87
    from Conroe TX

there are plenty of stovebolts out there and since purchasing it i have come across some similiar projects to this one but in my better shape. i feel pretty guilty about this one bc it was a rat rodder/rust rodders dream! the petina was freakin awesome as well as all the bullet holes and rust out bottom of the cab.

16. xwing01

xwing01

killer start, welcome

17. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

great start i have 36 as well went a little different direction but if you have any question i have done a ton of research about theses trucks feel free to message me anytime

18. Welcome from CT!

19. 1badbaker

1badbaker

Awesome looking project, Good luck and Welcome.

20. I like trucks,
    keep the updates coming!

21. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

Welcome from Wyoming.

Keep up the good work, looks like you do just fine. I had a 27 1ton that I sold a year ago, man do I regret that dumb move. Since the new owner hasn't done anything with it yet and I really miss that truck, I am trying to get it back.

Best of luck on your project,

22. bcarlson

bcarlson

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Welcome to the H.A.M.B. Looks like you are off to a good start.
    That engine color remines me of pontiac blue.

24. rustang

rustang

Great looking start on your truck.... looks like it will turn out sweet...
    Tom

25. mjhartz87

mjhartz87
    from Conroe TX

Little update: haven't been able to do to much due to my shop not having electrical but I will be trenching this week. Right now I'm at the welding stage. I have gone through an olds 9.3 rear end and it's been hollowed and ready for the 4 link. Before I do that I need to set a motor and trans to determine pinion angle and ride height.

This week I got the ifs completely installed and ready for some roller wheels.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397633055.093447.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397633113.794952.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397633164.282922.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397633244.087628.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Nice project I wish my cab was in that good of condition , with mine I could drain pasta.

27. 392modela

392modela

Welcome to the hamb and hello from Wisconsin

28. Roger53

Roger53

Cool keep them pic's coming ! Roger

29. CAMSHAFT666

CAMSHAFT666

Welcome from Washington state!
    Cool chebby!

30. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

I've heard in the past of people coating the inside of chrome headers with grease to form a carbon coat to help keep the chrome from turning blue. Anybody know if there's any truth to this or just an old wives tale?