Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bondo Detector

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Apr 15, 2014.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I could see it now, you spend 40 hours cutting and buffing your perfect black paint job and some numb nut wants to rub some bondo detector all over it. that's a good way to get punched.

I'm thinking a stud sensor would not work that way.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

figure that even some really nice rides have a skim coating of body filler. coated magnet does not always work. Filler-Detective 99.95 - Yikes? but, there are hi-tech ones around $3000 all the way down to $18.50 on eBay (paint thickness meter gauge tester)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  4. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Open the trunk, doors, and hood and look on the back side for rough metal work. Usually rough on the inside means lots of plastic on the outside. Pretty tough to disguise a bondo wagon if you know what to look for.

Factory spot weld areas that are smoothed off, door and trunk edges that are super thick, and wavy body work mean mucho mud.

As said above a skim coat of plastic is an acceptable way of finishing off a car that has had proper metal work.

5. I used to buy for a dealer and I used a much more expensive version. It basically measured paint thickness. I got used to knowing how thick paint should be in a respectable range. When the meter reading spike, you know you have a thick spot with filler.

It saves a lot of time at an auction when they're selling 1 car every 30 seconds in 16 lanes. Not much time to fully inspect things. My paint meter saved my butt several times.

6. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

The Hardy Boys used to take their pen knives and scrape off the top layer of paint in an unseen area. You know, to make sure if that suspicious black car was really the same as the green one that nearly ran down old Chet in downtown Bayport.

You could try that. ;)

7. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

You better be carrying a gun as well as a knife buddy!

8. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

BTW, I went over my car with a strong magnet & did not manage to spot hardly any of the bondo. A weak magnet worked better. Of course the paint was toast so no problem for me on my own car. ;)

Fortunately the few thick spots are manageable repairs.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think it is the other way around. people who work the metal so they need less bondo are the rare ones.

bondo is king! get it done quick. it only needs to look good on top....that seems to be the motto of the day.

10. williebill

williebill

Bought an old Merc back in the 70s, thought I was being really smart to take a magnet with me to look at the car. The magnet felt about the same as I gently drug it across a black primered car. Thought I was buying a straight, clean body for under $100, and it had a Y block in it, too.
    Too bad that it all felt the same, because the entire lower body had about 1/2 inch of bondo all over it. All over.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

working on a car right now that was the finest example of bondo sculpture anywhere. it was in light tan high build primer and looked good, then another shop decided to strip it to bare metal. big mistake. lots of patches and 2 new doors later it is coming back. the doors had a rust patch all along the bottom, filled with bondo and no backing of any kind, not even duct tape or old socks. it actually looked like it was ready for paint the first time I saw it.

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

I use a leather covered magnetic money clip. Doesn't hurt the paint.

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

A light tap with a knuckle and an ear for THAT sound is all I need to find excessive filler.

14. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have used those flexible magnets that business give away. They won't hurt the paint and they are not very magnetic.
    Cheap, handy to keep in your pocket, and after you use it a few times you will know how to gauge it!
    KK

15. JD Miller

JD Miller

16. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

More often than not bad bondo bodywork is telltale if you look to the edges, underneath and insides of panels. The "shortcut" work is reflected there. Structure repairs can be a good indicator of work done. Most laser straight cars are skim coated front to back as is the fashion now, yet somehow sterile.

17. Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  18. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

wow that was one serious bondo bucket 31

19. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

I always get a kick out of all the old geezers at swap meets knuckle tappin every inch of the car their looking at. Half of them dont even know what the hell their looking at.
    They all got bondo. ALL. Unless of course you find one thats been stuck in an underground time capsule since the day it was made.
    The only way your gonna find out what you have is if you strip the sucker down and start grindin. That is... If ya got the balls

20. Yeah it WAS !
    Coming along with silly time consuming stuff, takes all day and nothing spectacular to show for it.

21. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Sometimes previous body work is fairly obvious. What I've found as a good way, is to put a car up on a hoist/rack and look at the quarters and other panels from down below. You'll have a different perspective look at it. While it's up in the air, you'll be able to look at other things too.

22. morac41

morac41

Hi .... I had a knuckle head wanting to buy a 38 ford coupe I had and brought his magnet with him...started to runing it over the the beaver tail and it fell off...His comment's were " jeez its full of bog" I said ...jeez magnets dont stick on lead...he just walked around scratchin his head after that...as I had to give a lesson how body seams were lead loaded back then.......sometimes 3/4" thick.....I've see 33-34 A pillers neally all lead.......

23. jeta12

jeta12

We have a filler detector and it works good.

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

With the prices today, you can't blame a guy for wanting to use one of those devices. And as mentioned, slim coats are the norm today for laser straight finishes. Where these come in handy is when the sh!t gets deep. Beats knuckle- knocking. Ain't technology wunnerful....

25. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

I use my trusty magnet its never failed me yet but I also have a good eye and usually see everything before i can even pull it out of my pocket ,but as stated before if you look up at a car you will see everything the guys who use gallons and gallons of the stuff to fix dents and rust are to lazy to finish it off where you can't normally see

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks all for the replies. I have a car of unknown history that I want to sell and thought I'd try to be as honest about it as possible, particularly after reading 31 Vicky's latest thread :)

I tried a stud finder, that did't work. I'll just look it over as best I can, take pictures behind whatever I can get behind. It's not a valuable car that one would travel far to inspect.

27. I hope that thread helps other people, too late for me but hopefully karma will bring that body man out of the sky right to my door :)

A paint mills gauge concept should work well too.
    Those cause no damage but the tested area is small.
    It's like a magnetic spring loaded micrometer gizmo.