Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jerico 4 speed transmission vs Muncie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodored, Apr 18, 2010.

1. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Hello Fellow Hambers,

Anyone had any experience with running a Jerico 4 speed transmission on the street instead of a muncie? Do the $$ really buy anything on the street?

Thanks

redlineracer42 likes this.
  2. can you do without synchros?

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I'm not sure but I don't think the Jerico has syncro's in it I think its race only, of course that doesn't mean it can't be street driven its just more of a pain in the ass down shifting. If you are looking for a stronger trans go with a Richmond 5 speed.

Pat

4. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

I could, But can they handle a 700hp bbc in a 56 2dr post with a 4.11 9" spool turni'n 29 14.50 slicks?:eek:

5. 4406

from Oklahoma

Yes. My friend Chris runs a 427 Failane wagon and it does get some street time.

6. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

7. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

The Richmond Street 5-Speed truly lives up to it's name as that is all that transmission is good for.....street driving. The moment you try to do anything serious with those trannys, they just hang up between gears no matter how meticulouly you set up that shifter. I lusted after one of those 5-Speeds for 20 years and it was a huge disappointment. Never again! Anyway, a friend of mine has a Jerico 4-Speed in a pretty serious Rat-motored Street/Strip Chevy II that can click off high-10's and still participate in a leg of the Power Tour. He absolutely loves the Jercio and says that there is a very low cost option of adding the Road Race Synchros(I think that's what he said) to the standard Drag Racing model that greatly improves streetabilty. I think the only drawback to the Jerico is it's high price. Something like $3300 last time I checked, but I think that if it's going into a "keeper" car, it can be considered a lifetime tranny!

8. You don't have to use the clutch to upshift. Depending on which Jerico trans, you do have to use the clutch to down shift. There is also another clutchless trans, besides Lenco. The name escapes me.. too many Cervesas

9. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

"The Richmond Street 5-Speed truly lives up to it's name as that is all that transmission is good for.....street driving. The moment you try to do anything serious with those trannys, they just hang up between gears no matter how meticulouly you set up that shifter."

They don't hang up if you use a Long shifter.
    I can button shift mine.

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The Jerico is just a beefed up Ford Toploader crashbox - originally designed for NASCAR. Can you run it on the street? Yeah, of course. Will you like it? Probably not...

redlineracer42 likes this.
  11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

G-Force? That uses large-faced dog clutches in lieu of synchros, and is based on Richmond architecture.

Or perhaps you mean the B&J, which works on the Lenco principle.

12. Herdez

Herdez

It all depends on the horse power level and abuse your going to be doing to the drivetrain. Ive owned all Muncie versions, m20, m21, m22 and even a heavy duty Muncie 3 spd which has the same gearing as a th350 and in my car right now.

I used them behind 400hp 355s and a 550hp + 408 big block. The m22 had that noisy sound all day long. The m20 ended up behind a 600hp 468 and didnt break with street tires but burnt many clutches.

Another guy I knew had a Richmond 5 speed with 4.5s in a 55 chevy and never broke anything that i can think of, plus he even had a Route 66 cruise from Texas to Cali. Very fun car to watch.

Just recently on the Round Up cruise a friend of mine had his 55 chevy with a '79 super t-10 he installed just days before with an in-line Hurst. The shifter was the only problem in stop and go traffic.

I think a Jerico is over kill for the street unless you just gotta have it. Heres a video of a Jerico http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXI_doRrcPM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wXI_doRrcPM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wXI_doRrcPM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

13. Most of the time when someone says Jerico they speak of the clutchless version with split sliders, not for the street and very fragile on cutch set-up. I ran a clutched Jerico on the street and drag raced wth it for a couple of years with great sucess in a 3500# camaro with a 509 and a plate. Shifting with the shit on. I put about 300 passes on it and sold it to Mustang guy who probably put on couple hundred more. They use a face tooth engagement with no syncros. Looks like a late model Harley trans. If you've got the money and want to drive with a speeder, do it.

Attached Files:

14. Herdez

Herdez

Did your car come out in a mag a long time ago...in the 9s?

Cptfalcon likes this.
  15. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

I saw a guy at the Charlotte Auto Fair that had about 6 Jerico transmissions with shifters for sale priced from $1700 - $3000. He had both 3 and 4 speeds, but having ZERO experience I had no idea even what I was looking at. I took down his number and I will give him a call and report back on what he had to say. Thanks for the tip on synchros.

16. enginebloch

enginebloch
    from norfolk va

There are many variations of the jerico transmissions. They have different ratios depending on the track where it was raced. The transmissions for the road coarses have syncros since there is a lot of up and down shifting. Many of the better drivers will just match revs anyway though.

17. I got some ink with the car in early 90's. It was featured in Popular Hotrodding 30th anniversary issue and a few others.

18. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Liberty

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And there was a Jeffco trans based on the Lenco too. 3 and 4 speeds, convertor or clutch.

20. Paul Y

Paul Y

Run a DNE 4 + 1 and had nothing but trouble with it before I went to a Long shifter.

Problem solved, shifts beautifully. Trans is behind a 480hp BBC with Mickey T sportsman pros in my 56 Chevy.

And yes. I do have a lead foot as the shelf full of broken bits will attest.....

P.:D

21. Herdez

Herdez

Ha! I had that issue and kept it for the article on your car. It was a clean setup. I guess in the early 90s it was really fast to run a street car with a 4 speed into the 9s. I didnt know what a Jerico was back then until I saw the one on your car. cool!

22. So BTT, yes you can run a Jerico on the street, Yes you can spray a stick shift car. At least you could 20 years ago. 9.16 @153mph:eek:

Attached Files:

23. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

And that same jerico is in a 3700 lb cougar that runs 10s, and goes on the street.If ya aint pullin gears..........

24. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Sweet ride marty !!!:)

25. I run a Jerico DR4-4 in one of my cars. From first hand experience there is no comparison to a Muncie street trans. By design they don't ship with synchro sets (needed for down shifting) but are available. And yes if static clutch setting is soft (I run an old school Hays 10.5" rag), disengaging to upshift is easy. Unlike a typical street trans a Jerico does not disengage easily at high speed, but slides effortlessly into the next higher gear level without clutch disengaging. A true "clutchless" trans, as mentioned above, includes spring loaded split sliders, and they don't stay engaged when releasing shift pressure except for high gear.

26. I run a Liberty faceplated TKO 600 on the street alllll the time! I run 10.75 @ 125 and it has a .64-1 OVERDRIVE!!!!! 25 year old slicks! 001.JPG SINISTER 1 Savanna stylin....jpg