Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transmission Shims

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marlinmustang, Apr 14, 2014.

1. marlinmustang

marlinmustang
    from Nanuet NY

I started a project that someone else put a 351w in a 59 Ford. I have to raise the tail shaft around 5/8 of a inch to get a better angle for thre transmission. I can not find any shims. What sould I use? I can get a 5/8 inch peice of steel and cut it to work. What is the right way to do this?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Any single piece of 5/8" metal OR several pieces of thinner stock, cut to shape and size with appropriate holes for the bolts to pass through will be just fine.

I don't think there actually is any such item pre-made especially for this purpose.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  3. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

If you're trying to get a better angle for the driveshaft then you should install degree shims at the rear axle perches to correct for the amount the transmission is off, if that's feasible. I would probably try to tweak the transmission like yourself if the angle was more than 6 degrees off because the shims start to get pretty thick at that point but maybe you could use a combo of the two to get you where you want to be.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  4. I'd do this (or aluminum) if you're determined to address this from this end instead of the rear end, or wheel alignment shims if they'll work

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014

5. marlinmustang

marlinmustang
    from Nanuet NY

The tail shaft and engine is way off. It is a start just to get it to the point were I can measure at set the angels. By eye site it looks okay.