Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Purposely tarnishing chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jtrod49, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Not Rguing trying to get my point across maybe I should describe this better when looking at the grille and teeth it was nothing to cover up it was purposely done to achieve a look that this person was going for every other tooth is chrome while the others are nickel and most all of the grille is nickel except where the running lights are ill take better pics and maybe get a better response I never knew people were so against certain ideas and its not patina to me it's just a different look that's it I don't like the mismatch chrome and nickel and I can't afford the chrome so I have to do something

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Terrible80

Terrible80

Maybe some teeth are from a different bumper?

3. I'll take a picture so u can better see and There are diff teeth being that it has 11 but u can see where it's been done let me get better pictures

4. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

How is chrome a bandwagon? Lol its stock!
    Anyways, make sure to tape off the areas really good and use the saturated rag plus gloves. That chemical is nasty stuff you dont want on your paint or skin. It will dull it slightly so be ready to buff it back to the satin sheen. I understand why youre wanting to make it all the same! Goodluck!

5. I'm on the " chrome looks good, tarnish not so much" bandwagon. Maybe you can find a bumper with good chrome still intact for less than re-chroming yours?

6. When I was doing electroplating , we had a bath for removing chrome. It was caustic soda (heated) and applied 6v across the job, 30sec to a minute and all chrome gone , just left the base nickel untouched.

Google should give details.

7. JesseJerk

JesseJerk
    from Las Vegas

I age guitar parts with Pool Acid. Works for chrome and nickel. Just don't submerge the parts. I put them in a container and place a bowl with acid in it and close up the container. Just the fumes in the container from the bowl of acid with make them look nice and old.

8. Thanks much guys glad ya see whatI'm trying to do I'm not a big fan of shiny chrome I like the satin clean hotrod edgy look ill make sure and post pics to show a before and after

9. Gotta a little ticked when I was gettin bashed your right it's stock I got aggravated but I do think chrome is somewhat overrated and everyone's got chrome trim time for a change thanks for the tips

10. JT,
    I think that you're going to find that there are bored people here on the HAMB that have nothing better to do than to debate what is "traditional" and what is not, or why what THEY like is better than what YOU like... Gets me angry sometimes. I've watched enough movies and have seen enough photos from the 40's, 50's and 60's and I am convinced that there were more than a few cars running around out there with primer on them, mismatched colored body panels, and yes, even chrome that was not brilliant and perfect. to be very clear I'm NOT a fan of the "sh!tbox / r*t r*ds" either, but I'm in the same boat that you are at the moment... I'm doing a "made up barn-find" and I don't want brand-new looking chrome parts on an otherwise "aged" looking truck, AND I simply don't have the "gold chain budget" to go out and spend thousands of dollars on my truck. I've asked similar questions and have gotten reamed, and not surprisingly, I got very few positive responses or good information either!
    There are a handful of really helpful people in here though, and eventually, hopefully, one of them will lend you a hand and give you the information that you need without also giving you a hard time. I, for one, like what you're doing! :)

11. Bout time thanks brother

12. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

Older thread but tought I'd share some of my knowledge.

1 thing that was mentioned about chrome was that it wouldn't go onto copper. That is false. Chrome was actually plated directly onto copper during the nickel shortage in 1953 as mentioned in another post earlier. Chrome is a metal that has its own color. Depending how its applied or prepared can be a dull gray to the beautiful blueish luster we all know.

Now back to the OP. The picture mainly makes me believe that the chrome on the grille had been rubbed on to the point that the nickel was exposed. Chrome is applied very thin on automotive applictions. If done poorly it can be thin enough to be rubbed off after a dozen waxes or so.
    Muriatic and Hydrochloric acid are the same thing just different names. The only difference between industrial grade and home use is the concentration. Store bought is around 10-15%. Idustrial is pure 100% and very hazardous.

For future reference to someone wanting to get the nickel exposed a good hard buffing would be the safest method. Using acid can cause premature rusting as well. Any pores in the nickels surface will soon be starting points for rust.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer:
    I've worked at 4 plating facilities since 1997.
    Also worked with another 4 facilities on shared projects and assisted in trouble shooting.

13. Not good enough to KEEP a job, huh? :cool:

Just kidding :D

14. dirt in ur beer

dirt in ur beer

If you feel you really need to go this route (muriatic , sulphuric) dipping or spraying parts with a very strong soap water mixture will kill the acid in the pores. Rinsing helps but that acid likes to get down in the pores and will haunt u later.

15. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

I have actually never been fired from a job. Always took offers from other companies and have actually turned down the last 2 opportunities to change employment. (Getting married and having kids will do that.) No more relocating.

I have worked very hard to be where I am at.