Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Ford Customline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Believer33, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Believer33

Believer33

Hello, I'm a new member. My wife and I bought a 1953 Ford Customline with a great running 8BA V8 flat head. The '53 is going to be the hot rod I never had when I was younger. I work for the US Air Force at Buckley Air Force Base as the Chief of Commercial Communications. We are looking forward to picking up great support and learning a lot from all of the 1952-1954 Customline fans. We do know the '54 was the first year for the Y-block in Fords and I have been a line mechanic for Ford and Toyota dealerships plus I was the shop foreman at a Ford/GMC/Ford Implement dealer in Wyoming. Very glad to be a new member.

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Welcome from Hawaii! Sounds like you have the beginnings of a pretty cool project and you can't go wrong with that Y-block. Keep us posted on progress.

3. Tudorp

Tudorp

Good to see another Customline guy. I also have a 53 with the 8BA, and Fordomatic Auto (1st year for it in Customlines). I'm also an Airforce vet (late 1970's-1986).
    Welcome, and my 1st Flathead V8, we can learn together.. ;). As always on the internet, "if no pictures, it didn't happen.." ;) Lets see some pics of your 53.

4. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Welcome! I had a '53 that was mechanically stock as a daily driver for a few years and I miss it. These are great looking and driving cars, what are your plans for it?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. There are lots of things you can do. I have a 53 Club Coupe. It has a 390 FE with a C6 and a mustang rear with 3.55 gears. Not fun to drive in the rain as the G78 WW do not handle the FEs torque real well.

6. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

Welcome to the HAMB!!!!! I am from Lakewood, Co. and have a 53 ford also but have the straight 6 in it.

7. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

How good does the 390/c6 fit?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

Hey 33, hope to see u and your car around here in Denver at some shows. If u see my brown log come up and say hey. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397487162.364897.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397487182.262174.jpg

Wishing I was on the salt watching some fast cars go by me!!!!!!!

9. lucky_stripe_garage

lucky_stripe_garage
    from Texas

A late welcome to the HAMB, from Texas. I've very slowly been learning and working on a 53 Ford Customline 4 door with the 8ba flathead in it. It's been fun, but I'm ready to drive it. haha.

10. Believer33

Believer33

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool project - fancy rims - reliability and safety first.

12. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Wow...Brings back memories. I learned to drive in a 53 Ford. Flathead V8 and 3 on the column. I was 12 years old at the time, and had to sit on a pillow so I could see over the steering wheel. Eventually ended up stripping off most of the body, and drove it around like that on the back roads. What a blast !!:D

13. Harvey 29 It fits well. I did a Y block back in High School so it was about the same. Because the engine has a front sump pan you have to make a box in the front cross member. If you use an early C6 with a separate type bell housing it clears the firewall just fine. If using a later C6 you need to modify the fire wall. Rear tranny mount works just fine. Stock exhaust manifolds clear every thing. Stock radiator works too well.