Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods open headers to the shop or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Apr 4, 2014.

1. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Well I'm shure the mufflers are on now but I have to tell the story I was driveing my 74 charger it had headers in to cherry bombs and that was about it I went over a bump and heard a god horable noise and now I heard metal draging and shure enough the collector broke muffler was hanging off I was close to home so I said screw it and about two seconds later the muffler flew out from under the car and hit a cop car that just so happened to pull out behind me needless to say he pulled me over and returned my muffler and i thought i was going to jail he said cool car wish i could have a toy like this asked me hif he could drive it after I fixed it so end of story no ticket no jail I gave him my adress and he came over after his shift one day and drove the car

2. 4 pages of "do I have a pair, or not"???????

3. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

My car has lakes with no baffles and I don't plan on running anything different. Perks of living outside the city!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's the only time you can "legaly" or at least "have a reason" to drive it with open headers...!GO FOR IT! just don't leave at 4:45 am.
    T

5. motorhead65

motorhead65
    from VA

Me and a couple friends got rained out at New London Drag Strip in lynchburg VA. back in 1984 and drove all way back to Roaoke VA. open headers, had a blast will never forget it. Go for it

6. sadsack

sadsack

ihave hesrd that it is harmful to the mill to run without backpressure.
    sadsack

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Open headers=Music of the ages.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Evobuilder what part of town do you live in?

9. Chiefrider

Chiefrider
    from Lower 48

If it's got a little Chebbie in it, they won't hear it anyway :D

Got a fixit on the 427 in my 406 Galaxie in the late 70's, when it had the 14:1 engine in it, Hookers into 3" straight thru perforated truck resonators, thumps real deep down low, howls pretty good up top. So I round up a dozen aluminum Coke cans, churchkey a bunch of holes in both ends of them all, drop the straight 3" pipes at the collectors, and stick 6 in each side. It's got 45 turndowns behind the mufflers which caught the cans and kept them in. Fired it off, engine's very unhappy, and it sounds like a berzerk Electrolux on angel dust, pzzzzfffftt...pzzzzfffftt... Off I go to the CHP office, 2x4's sticking out of the hood, 5.14 gears and all, signoff officer comes out, starts laughing his ass off listening to it wheeze and gack, says yeah, I have a nice 428 in my F100, signs it off, says take it home before it frags itself. So I make it home, back it up in front of the garage door, and just for fun attempt to rev it up- wheezes it's way to 4K, then BOOM..BOOM..BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM- the cans had crumpled and started getting past the 45 dumps, hit the ground and were ricocheting off the garage door as it hit the rev limiter at 7500, and gets back to howlin'..

10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I was going to do the same thing last week driving cross town with my 48 Merc with a59 AB flathead with open headers. The small town I would have to go through to get there are notorious pricks about EVERYTHING and 95% chance I would be stopped.
    Defective or illegal equipment ticket is $ 110.00.
    Roll back from my house to the Muffler shop is $ 60.00.
    No brainer - to have the roll back take it.

The $ 50.00 I saved by not getting a ticket paid for a night of pleasure.
    Before you guys minds wander on the night of pleasure part..........
    A nice steak dinner and drinks......

11. Model T1

Model T1

Well, I wonder if he made it to the muffler shop yet?
    Or is he waiting for someone to bail him outta jail?:confused:

12. JunkYardGuy

JunkYardGuy

I would just drive it.

13. Model T1

Model T1

We live 10 miles from town. Always use scrap exhaust pipe to tack weld rough pipes. Take those to our local NAPA bender and he makes them just like the patterns. Recently got a snakey bent header pipe for my late model truck. Perfect.
    Way cheaper than those custom muffler shops.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Have you left yet?

15. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Drove an OT vehicle around for a year or so with open headers back in the 90's here, never had a real issue.

Reminds me of once though, we had a tornado come though, and the area I lived in was set with a curfew, to help curb looters. We also had to stop and show ID's to a cop at a checkpoint before entering the area. Made me nervous.

By the time I got to the checkpoint one time, the ol engine was pretty loaded up from all the idling, and the needle and seats on the Holley would act up occasionally.

I got past the checkpoint, and the Holley decided to spew, and died about 100ft down the road, as I was still trying to keep my foot out of it as much as possible.

Had to stand on the throttle, and crank her over till she fired. I know the cops were looking, it was kind of a special vehicle, that got attention. Finally she lit off, and Im sure all kinds of fire shooting out the ends of the headers from underneath.

Swore they were gonna hop in their cars, and come after me, but I guess they may have figured we had it hard enough.

Edit: also yeah to this too.

16. Just drive it!!! Grow a pair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Old Wives tale. We've run open headers for years and thousands of miles, no problems on any of them. Every year I drive from here to Daytona (about 6 hours each way) with open headers and leave them open for the entire week.

I think it come from the notion that cold air can be sucked back into the valves and warp them, but it would take some pretty short tubes to do that.

Don

18. I really can't believe this is what the "Hoodlum Hotrodder" has become, asking if I should drive my car or not. Makes me wonder what's next, should I put on my full set of coveralls to check the air in my tires.....good grief !

19. If you are afraid of running OPEN HEADERS, BUY A mini van. AND BE UN AFRAID. JEEEEEEZ!

20. evobuilder

evobuilder

JKUSTOM..... Wallingford, just next door to Fremont

everyone else.... I have a pair :) A pair of loud ass open headers. But this wasn't on my 27 Coupe.... this was on my 72 Bronco. On my coupe.... I run Gear Drive Lake Headers with baffles and they kick ass. Best headers I have ever owned.

I drove my Bronco to the muffler shop wide open, flat out, and it was awesome. I will drive something with open headers once a year now.... it sounds like a top fuel dragster (without pullin the Gs).

21. clem

clem

5 pages and still going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

I still remember taking my 55 out for the first time right after switching it from a small block to a 427,back in 1970. Open headers 4:88's 4 speed.......you all get the picture I made it 2 blocks from my house and a cop car was about three cars behind me , I use my turn signals ,make complete stops at the intersections ,get my self back home & he followed me all the way , a total of about 4 city blocks, I pull over to the curb in front of my house and park .
    The cop is right on my bumper, he gets out of his car ,me out of mine the guy comes up to me and starts telling all about the "One he had " once upon a time ,and he just wanted to have a peek under the hood !!