Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sew a convertible top.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 56KUSTOM, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Anyone know where I can find instructions on sewing a top?

2. You might try posting this on the upholstery social group as well. There are some very helpful guys that check in there on a regular basis.

3. 8-Track

8-Track

what are your questions?

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Not to sound like a smart ass, but, a top is a pretty tough first timers project. I've made several, and it's a simple seeming job that is tougher than it looks. Remember, it's the most visible moving part, aside from wheels and tires, on your car.

5. I do restaurant upholstery for a living and have done some car projects too. My buddy has a t bucket that he adapted a frame to and I'm trying to make a top for. I also want to do the same on my '41 'vert.

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Well, you should have no trouble tailoring a top then. I made patterns from masking paper, after laying out the top with masking tape. I'm a hack, do my own upholstery because I can't afford a pro, and the paper pattern worked well. You could probably skip that and simply mark your material on the bows. I have a couple of "How to" books that I used for reference, but since you're in the trade you don't need as much instruction as I did.

The Caddy top was my second effort on this car, the first one was, ahem, less than professional looking. The '36's was Haartz cloth and too expensive to screw up! That was the last one I did.

Attached Files:

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Find another T-bucket and study the construction of the top.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Go to the Rod & Custom website. There is a very good top article in their archives from the 70s.