Register now to get rid of these ads!

track nose dimensions? and a cool idea for a track nose.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, Oct 22, 2012.

1. I am thinking about doing the same thing for a track T Make it to fit the contour of the nose. Steve

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, it was mid '50s Sunbeam.

Like this one.

bd_12.jpg

Thanks guys.

3. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I know it wouldnt go good with a stock hood on a 33-34. But if you make a custom hood and sides that all taper down in a to the track nose it would work just fine

4. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

try and imagine the track nose i drew on this weesner painting

Attached Files:

5. weez

weez

An Edsel grille is real angular, it works on the Green T that Tobias built, that car has a really wild early 60s look. A track nose however, is a very rounded thing that depends heavily on placement and proportion. Also, I think of earlier styled cars having track noses, before there were any Edsels. What era is the '34 going for? I would rather see something hand fabbed to the '34 by someone who has a good sense of design and proportion.

I've noticed that all the cars with track noses that I like have a fairly short hood, with the axle foreword of the radiator and more or less centered in the side mass of the track nose. (like the Eddie Dye roadster) Hard to just stick one on a car, it has to be built with the nose in mind.

Btw, I rode into Paris in that green T coupe, everyone who saw/heard it looked pretty horrified... (including the police, got pulled over twice!) not what they are used to I guess- bitchin car though!

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is one built out of 48-54 Chev PU fenders, with a Jag grille and after I "blanked" it out.

Attached Files:

7. Why not keep the overall shape of the Edsel grille, modify it to sweep back (like a typical track nose)?

8. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Studebaker truck rear fenders.......Something to think about.

9. I would rather use a 58 grill for a track nose. it's something I thought of in high school. Here is a use for a 59 though.

Attached Files:

10. here are a couple sketches I found that I did in high school.

Attached Files:

11. aircap

aircap

12. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I have a nice Oliver shell I'll sell you if interested. I was going to make a roadster shell out of it but changed my mind. Good dimensions for a hot rod

13. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

This is exactly what Frank Mack did on his famous '27 roadster. My buddy (Harms Way), has Franks jig that he used to make it.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

14. Roadsir

Roadsir

A track roadster is still on my wish list of build projects....If the plans come together it will have a track nose made from either the pickup fenders or chev fender extensions. Both look great.