Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical stromberg 97 leather gasket

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jan bogert, Apr 9, 2014.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

my needle and seat was sticking , and I took apart the top end of the carb. can I flip the leather gasket up ward to install it?

2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

You took seperated the cast iron base and the main body apart? The gasket with the 2 big holes and 3 screw holes? If it's in good shape I have done it in the past. I don't flip them over though. Just put it back on.

3. 42merc

42merc

If you are talking about the leather accelerator pump cup-- NO don't fold it upward, install with edges down, being careful not to catch the edge on the pump well.

4. Ole don

Ole don

Put a few drops of clean motor oil on the leather and work in in for a few minutes with your fingers.

5. jan bogert

jan bogert

thanks guys,, the float sank, had a fine crack in it. U MAX is sending me a new one with the new horn gasket.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would cause flooding for sure. You still have me on "flipping the leather gasket" as the only leather I know of in the carb is on the accelerator pump as 42 Merc and OL Don mentioned in posts 3&4.

7. jan bogert

jan bogert

48,, I worked the leather seal from the acc. pump in with my fingers and a fiber tool. thanks guys

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good enough. Around this board you can't always get away with assuming that a guy trying to do something on his old car knows what he is doing.