Register now to get rid of these ads!

found a good seat for a model a coupe thats great for kids

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peter schmidt, Jun 25, 2013.

1. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Just got my coupe and the previous owner must have been real short and had a different taste in colors than me its not chopped or channeled but he had a huge seat and a drop celing type headliner really weird stuff but luckily it all came out after the glue and tiewire was undone. i couldent even sit up strait in it and im only 5'10". so i went to the junkyard to find a seat that i can use for now and maybe eventually recover to my likeing 3 hours and 15 bucks later i had this seat out of a late model chrystler van. it needs more ckeaning as the windows were broke in the van and it got wet and nasty and it was a little wider than what i wanted but it fits and is pretty comfortable. what sold me on this over the nicer seats was that the cushions flip down and a kids carseat is built right in witch is awsome because my soon to be two year old is the perfect size for it and it will save so much room without a car seat stuffed in there. heres some pics. Oh yea the interior was lime green with red carpet and bamboo floormats its all coming out. Still need to make mounts to attach the seat to the old sliders.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and i appolagise if this is not traditional but it was cheap and once i recover it in some nice vinyl i think it will look great.

2. I got the middle fold-down seat of of a mid-90's Plymouth Voyager Van, for my T Tudor...fit almost perfect, and the fold down allows me to access the rear seat area with ease. I didn't mount sliders, as I am the only one who drives the T, so I put the seat where I felt comfortable, and bolted it down.

3. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Yea this was a middle seat it tilts forward and reclines im only using the sliders because my brother is 6' 6" and im sure he will want to steal it every once in a wile.

4. scoggman

scoggman

That is Awesome!!!! I am jelious!!! I bouth the same seat, but mine doesn't have the baby seat... and I could really use one!

Awesome!

5. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

I think that will look just fine when recovered.

6. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

It has the baby seats on both sides is the only problem but im just going to take all that stuff out of the driver side and make it so it only folds out some to put maps and registration and stuff like that behind it. i sat in the seat testing it out at the junkyard like 10 times before i noticed they flipped down

7. Model T1

Model T1

I'm glad you got that car. And the seat will be perfect for your son. Maybe keep the other child seat in case he wants to drive...legally!;)
    Can't believe hw ugly the inside was. Just shows we all have different taste.

8. daveymac405

daveymac405

what year chrysler van? I could really use one like this. great info thanks peter!

9. charlieb66

charlieb66

Problem is, if you take the baby, mommy stays home, unless you have the rumble. You decide if that is good or bad. The A Coupe is only good for two people.

10. upspirate

upspirate

11. bgaro

bgaro

if you need a little more room alot of guys take the package tray out.

12. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I didnt get a year on the van but it looked to be around an 03 maybe not exactly sure i looked at so many of them. i think ill be good with the package tray in in for now. and its usually just ne and my son that go to car shows so itll be ok with two my girl only really goes to local shows so she can meet us or hop in the rumble seat.

13. 31SedanMan

31SedanMan

That seat is very cool and kid friendly. I may be on the hunt for one for the rear of my tudor. Do you know the approximate year chrysler van (to help narrow my search)?

14. Look at the post literally right above your's. He says it's probably an '03.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. daddio211

daddio211

I know my '98 Caravan had them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. We have used the Caravan seats in the past but not one with the child seat, that is cool! Thanks for posting!

17. Ideal for a child,thanks for posting. HRP

18. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Hopefully the car seat is up to the current laws. The reason that I'm saying this what I've learned about car seats lately; which are not the same as the ones used by my kids when they were little.

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wonderful idea. I know folks have been using those MOPAR van middle seats for a long time, but I like the flip down idea. Even if just for a "resale" feature later on. I always thought the fold down into the floor box bucket seat feature Chrysler has was also neat, but it is probably too big for a rod. Perhaps for back seats in a custom wagon or panel? Thanx again, Gary

20. bustingear

bustingear

Yes these seats in model a rods are old news. Several if us have being using them for awhile. Good picture though

21. They are safe and legal.

22. I found my Caravan seats by the side of the road. Many don't have the child seat option. .. I'd contact the local salvage yard they'll know what you'll need.

I like the baby seat with the steering wheel!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  23. mike bowling

mike bowling

I use those seats a lot- they fit "A"s perfect, and all you have to do to take them out is release the latches and walk away- no tools involved. Heavy as hell, but nice seats.Ride safe with your little one. Good luck. :rolleyes: seats in #1 roadster #2sedan #3 coupe ( before being upholstered

Attached Files:

24. That is what surprised me the most was the weight! I also had to trim the front to match the taper of my Roadster since Roadsters seats sit farther forward than Coupes and sedans.

Here's "how To" thread... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129657

Do the ones with the "Child" seat option weight more?