Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing Edelbrock Carb Nameplate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louder50, Mar 10, 2014.

1. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

That's why I love the HAMB.........you can always feel the love......not the kind we knew in the 60's,.......but love is love

2. I'm not sure you can remove it, without penalty..isn't it like the tag on a mattress?

3. phat rat

phat rat

Yea and you better be on the lookout for the mattress inspectors. From this post we know there are carb inspectors

4. jazz1

jazz1

DUCT TAPE! ..also handy for deleting those annoying air bag lights/engine warn etc on your OT ride.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

This turned into a nice laugh. Somewhere, there's a guy who places those stickers on an Edelbrock and he's crying..... from laughing so gawd damn hard.

6. stimpy

stimpy

your one of the lucky ones , that or my UPS people must be trying out for punters for the NFL with them ( or they hate that little red label .. ) . as I never gotten one brought to me that the floats didn't need to be adjusted . tune was right but fuel puking from floats

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I was thinking Holley :D

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

9. carbking

carbking

Actually, you didn't.

You have pictured an FM/Carter clone and an edelbrock clone, which are pretty much the same.

You didn't picture an early Carter AFB.

But that's OK.

Jon.

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Beat me to it. lol. I wanna play, can I play too? :D

11. squirrel

squirrel

Notice the air horn size on an "early" AFB is smaller than on the newer ones, so you get to find an early air cleaner to use with it.

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Wow. Lots of bungholes here... Doesn't it ever get old???

I have a pair of polished Edelbrocks on my cross ram and also didn't care for the standout lettering. A small bit of bright polished stainless tape adhered over the labels made them mostly disappear. Worked for me!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Somewhere some vinyl graphic guy is thinking, damn I've got myself a new market for labels. They could say anything, like "what are you looking at from across the lot ", " this is not an AFB", "yes it does look traditional"...endless...ha ha ha

14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Next tech week I guess I'll have to show how to replace the Edelbrock tag with a HAMB alliance tag, which will make it traditional, well, kinda sorta.

15. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Got you covered..............

Attached Files:

16. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn I've got myself a new market for labels.

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yes, Obviously that is NOT an Early AFB I posted. I posted a picture of a later AFB to show the similarities. I did say and post that the Edelbrock carbs do look similar to many of the AFB's especially the "clones" as you like to call them even though they were most definitely sold and marketed as later version of Carter AFB. Here is a 9000 series AFB, an Edelbrock and a 4762 AFB. I think they look pretty similar but thats just me. I don't understand why all the grief to the guy for wanting to remove the ugly tag off of the carb? Hell I've been known to wipe the lettering off my plug wires too. Oh the horror!!!

Attached Files:

18. carbking

carbking

When Carter was making the AFB, Carter used hardened steel rivets that resemble a concrete nail; that is, the rivet has grooves with a twist.

To remove the Carter rivets, one could use a drift punch, hammer, and needle-nosed vise-grips. The procedure was to position the drift punch at a 90 degree to the head of the rivet, and tap the punch with the hammer. Reposition the punch on the opposite side of the rivet, again tapping with the hammer. Once this procedure had been repeated several times from several sides of the rivet, the rivet would be loosened. The needle-nosed vise-grips could then be affixed to the head of the rivet, and a twisting, pulling motion would remove the rivet.

Since similiarity from Carter to clone is purely by coincidence, I do not know if the clone used rivets (and if so, if they had the twist), glue, or some other type of adhesive.

Attempting to pry off the Carter dataplate would result in the dataplate tearing, and the rivets remaining in place (but at least the dataplate would be removed).

Similiarly, attempting to pull the Carter rivets, without the twisting motion, normally would cause the needle-nose vise-grips to pop off of the head of the rivet.

And if you wish to continue to think the genuine Carters and the clones look alike, by all means do so. Others may continue to think that Fords and Chevys look alike as they both have four wheels.

Jon.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  19. squirrel

squirrel

Jon--what year were the first Carter competition series introduced? was it around 1974? And what about the 9000 series? and when did Weber start making them?

20. Larry T

Larry T

Jon, I think the point Russco makes is that the late model Carter AFB is still an AFB (and the Edelbrocks resemble it), even though not like the original.

Maybe more like a 1999 Chevy is still a Chevy even though it doesn't look like a 1957 Chevy than comparing a Chevy to a Ford.

I guess everyone can put their spin on it either way. Seems to be the way things are done now days.

21. carbking

carbking

Jim - the Carter Competition series were introduced on 8 November 1968.

The 9000 series street carburetors were introduced 2 June 1975.

I don't have the exact date when the clones were introduced, but memory says late 1980's. We had a WD account with Carter at the time, and were delighted when the 9000 series carbs came back (to those who are not aware, the dies for the good 9000 series carbs were worn-out, and the 9000 series had been unavailable for a couple of years) until we actually received some of the clones. Fortunately, we ordered only one of each. After inspecting the clones, we re-assembled them and wholesaled them below our cost with no warranty.

All changes to the genuine Carters are on the Carter drawings, which I have. Even though the first FM/Carter clones were renumbered Carter numbers (ie 9635s became 9635sa); since the carbs ARE different, different drawings were produced. I don't have any of the clone drawings. The first clones were made by Carter/Weber, the company FM spun off from Carter to produce the BBS and BBD carbs used by Chrysler Corp.

However, Carter did have carbs with dataplates before the Competition Series. The sealed carb used on the Studebaker supercharged engines in the early 1960's also had a dataplate. And not all the Competition Series had dataplates. The 850 and 1000 CFM Competition Series had stickers.

The 9000 series did not have dataplates prior to FM.

Jon.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  22. Here are the Carters on my bucket without name plates

[​IMG]

Here are Carters on the J's engine with name plates (same carbs)

[​IMG]

23. Jeezus, how is this thread still going and not locked. Grind the heads off and pry off the plate or be like me and use a big enough air cleaner that you'd have to be a damn giraffe to see the name plate.

24. cougarmike

cougarmike

There is! They say "only to be removed by the consumer." Whatever those are...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. super-six

super-six

I just rubbed off the paint. I don't remember what I used, probably lacquer thinner.

26. WOW, 57 posts on a simple question that was answered on the first reply.......

27. Joe Monstermaker

Joe Monstermaker
    from Seattle

I might be the only guy who sort of needs to remove the nameplate... On my '55 I've got one Carter Competition Series and one Edelbrock!!! (Hey, I used what I had.)

I do have a matched pair of real original WCFBs but I hate them.