Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 264 Buick nailhead manual & auto crank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EVL401, Apr 1, 2014.

1. EVL401

EVL401

Gday all just doing some research for a mate. He's about to drop a 264 baby nailhead into a Model A & wants to run a manual trans behind it. Is there such thing as an auto crank & a manual crank? Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers from downunder!!!!

2. Lamb

Lamb

Hey mate, I'm also down under with a baby nail and a manual behind it.
    you'll need a pilot bush adaptor if it was originally an auto.
    Russ Martin is your man. centerville auto repair / nailheadbuick dot com.

EVL401 likes this.
  3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Measure the bore of the crank and the OD of the crank pilot. If my memory's correct, they're the same size as a small block Chevy crank.

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know anything about the nailheads, but the Buick Straight 8's had a totally different flange on the crank for manual vs auto trans. Not sure if they carried that forward to the nailheads, but as a word of caution I'd measure carefully to make sure that what your buddy wants to do will work.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I forgot - I have a Buick Parts manual! Looked up a 264 crank and the book says:

1953-1957 crankshaft - All V-8 - Group # 0.646; P/N 1318491.
    NOTE: For C.T. ("Conventional Transmission" i.e. manual shift) use Brg. & adapter Group #0.649; P/N 1611771

Therefore, the crank is the same for both transmissions. You'll just need the pilot bushing. Try a SBC bushing....................