Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 331 hemi bore ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jamesob, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Jamesob

Jamesob
    from Exeter ca

I have a 52 331 that is a standard bore, but a small area at the top of one cylinder is damaged. It needs to be bored but the one cylinder will push it to a 354 bore. I have no problem with that however, I want to supercharge it. Is boring that much safe for a blown 331? Any info would help me out...thanks

2. Noland

Noland

I dont know the limits to how much you could bore before its to thin for a supercharger,probably depends on the amount of boost you plan on running. Why couldnt you just sleeve that cylinder?

3. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Use the technology that is available today. Have it sonic checked.

4. Jamesob

Jamesob
    from Exeter ca

I plan on sonic testing it but I would like any advise as to what would be too thin for supercharging. As for sleeving it, if I can run 354 pistons with no problems I would like to do that simply because of availability on pistons. I've contacted race tec, Ross pistons and kb to see if they make 331 forged pistons but they have not got back to me yet. The 354 pistons are all over the place. As for boost it will be between 7-8 pounds.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You can safely bore a 331 to stock 354 size, which is 1/8 oversize. This was a very common trick when hopping one up back in the fifties. Standard size pistons are always cheaper than oversize, so you could buy standard 354 pistons and save money, while getting a free 23 cu in horsepower boost.

Have it sonic tested if you want to, but be prepared to be told it has the thickest cylinders the tester ever saw, if he has not tested a pre 1960s engine before.