Register now to get rid of these ads!

'49 Dodge Pickup

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by SanDiego49, Apr 4, 2014.

1. SanDiego49

SanDiego49
    from El Cajon

Hi everyone, I've used HAMB threads as references, but I finally registered to use the board! Anyway, I have a 49 Dodge and it has been overheating on me. Original flathead 6, and it always runs hot! I just replaced the thermostat and had the cooling system backflushed. I took it for a joyride thinking my problem was solved, but to no avail!!! Again it overheated... I'm looking for any suggestions of where to go next. Also, what brand/ weight of engine oil do you recommend?

2. JTT3

JTT3

You may want to check your water pump to see if you have an impeller or if its rusted away and not pushing any water. You might also have clogged ports in the block or head. I have a flathead ford V8 and have had a similar problem but changed out pumps and seems to be doing fine.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. JTT3

JTT3

Also you may want to use Rotella 15-40 for diesels it has zdp in it and helps with the solid lifter and other parts being better lubricated.

4. porky55

porky55

Pull a freeze plug and see how much gunk is still in there. I flushed my hemi and changed the termostate and it still overheated. Popped a freeze plug and there was still shit stuck in there. I had to clean the block out with a pick

5. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Welcome! I would look at the radiator, get one of those laser thermometers and run it along you radiator to see if its kinked off. I had the same problem with my 57 Dodge with the 230 flathead. ended up taking it to a local radiator shop and they put the original brass tank on top and welded it to a new radiator core and it keeps the stock look but cools 100X better. also if you haven't found it yet on this forum you should head over to the 48-60 Dodge truck thread on the Hamb… http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752370

6. SanDiego49

SanDiego49
    from El Cajon

Thanks everyone for all the help! I appreciate the feedback and will update as I work my way down the list.