Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A frame mock up/visualization

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Humboldt Cat, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

After cleaning out nearly all the frame, channel and all, did a mock up with my restored front axle... no A cab yet, but working with Ford specs and Yblock measurements to get an idea of where things'll go on my first A rod...
    Planning a kick-up for the back to go with channelled body, what is a good kickup height for a lowboy? How far back did you lean yours back? Planning, running that tape and visualizing eagerly...

Attached Files:

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Sounds like you have a plan.. What's the axle off of?? Looks pretty wide.. How do you plan on mounting your spring to that axle?? Inquiring minds want to know...

3. From where I sit you either have a plan all your own or headed for a learning curve. You say "restored front axle" so I take it to mean your going to use it. So quarter elipitic springs must be on your list as well as a very long wheel base. Also looking at the Axle and where it is, what ever your doing will be fender less (even if you move the axle back where it started). So bring us up to speed on the rest of your vision.
    The Wizzard

4. Your axle looks too wide,even if you plan on using dual leaf springs up front.HRP

[​IMG]

5. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

axle looks wrong to me and too far forward even for a T bucket. Do you have any pics of what your shooting for?

6. I'm guessing 53-56 F100 straight axle.

7. Grudge

Grudge

You said cab so I assume you're building a pickup? A pickup with a Y-block would be cool, but yeah, that front axle is huge!

If you're building a pickup you can check out my build thread and many other (even better) threads for chassis layout ideas.

Good luck!

Aaron

8. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

These transverse spring brackets didn't work because their width interfered with the frame. Yours won't interfere because they'll be outside. ;^)

[​IMG]

9. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

'63 F100. Was actually in a parts truck I had for my '57. Quarter elliptic spring set up is the plan.

10. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Thanks, Aaron, yep Mod A pickup lowboy is the plan

11. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Good to know!
    What axle/axle dimension was that one?

12. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Having trouble posting pics from my source, some particular As I photog'ed at a show a coupla years ago, tryin to resize to post... or find another example from the net... Albeit that Mod A's suicide front end had the leaf spring across the front... love the forward-placed look of a lowboy... Wheelbase would be naturally elongated from having the axle a bit forward, possibly elongated by the kick-up in the back.
    So what height is average for a kick-up, would you say? What height is crazy? Lookin for a scale to this.

13. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Naturally not finding lowboy trucks on the Net... with quarter-ellip springs before heading to Work, but to give you an idea... Will try more later today.

Attached Files:

14. Your current axle will not look right on a suicide front. Everyone you see has either a tube axle up front or an original style A / Dropped axle without the platforms for the springs. you could do something to make it look better but the axle you have out front would not be the best looking one you could choose. Model A axles can be had cheap!

15. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I agree with the above comment - I wouldnt use the axle "just because you have it" I've fallen victem to this before and had to pay for it later (in time and $$) the right parts are available cheap - sell that axle to someone with a pickup....

16. Holly Cow!!! I'm going to stop there. The Wizzard

17. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Food for thought, thanks... so what is a recommended height of rear kickup? What angle or height have you used in making one?

18. willymakeit

willymakeit

There is a thread on here where an A100 axle was used with QE springs in a Model A sedan. Was out of Topeka Ks.

19. How low do you want it? I would get the front figured out. And then determine the amount of rake you want before messing with the rear.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Huh, will have to dig it up, thanks.

21. sadsack

sadsack

keep at it.
    sadsack

22. the traditional way to kick up, was to cut the rear cross member off and have the bottom of the cut off section be even with the top of the front section. was good for 3 or so inches, add that to a spring that is dropped (with spring eyes or stretched t spring and you are down a few more.)

We are not trying to deflate you on the axle we just have an eye out for issues, We don't want to have you build it a few times just to get it right if you don't have to.

23. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

24. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

Homboldt, Do you have a rear axle and trans in mind? The more kick in the frame you have the more the drive shaft will be in the cab with ya.

25. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Sold the '63 axle to a friend, acquired a Mod A axle this week

26. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Pics soon, been workin with it on Lunch breaks at Work... someone split the steering rod and welded halves to the beam to convert as trailer axle... there is a different one I have a line on, but can use this for mock/dimensions in the meanwhile....
    Angry Frenchman: I figured either a Ford 9" or S10 rear to hook up to with the YBlock and auto trans-to-be... something not too much but sturdy enough to take that stock V8...

27. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Pics of the A axle, the day I scored it... have since gotten much of the rod material that's welded at the center trimmed, got the backing plates off yesterday (the bolts were suprisingly cooperative).

Attached Files:

28. Thats actually a '37 or '38 axle.

29. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

yep, wishbone mounts are closer to the kingpins and has more bend twords the ends. axles are kinda useless on anything but a stocker, but the spindles are what you want for hydraulic brakes!

note:the reason i say its useless on anything but stock is because youd have to order a special spring to do spring on top, and if you split the wishbones on those you greatly lose turning radius. but i have seen people run them.

30. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

those spindles are nice! just need a v8 axle, good score!