Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical emblem clip removal tricks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodge59, Apr 3, 2014.

1. dodge59

dodge59

[​IMG]I have some emblems/ letters/numbers to remove off the quarter panels on my 54 dodge.. I never had any success taking the emblems off with this style clips .. they hang on so tight I end up breaking off the stud and ruining the emblem......... any suggests on how you guys take them off? they are at a real difficult place to get athe it on the backside. these clips are in the rear quarter by window regs in the lower quarters . I wd-40 them already . mine appear to be the smallest clips in the pics .
    Thanks !
    john

2. Never have found an easy way. Some can be loosened using a hose tool. A small screwdriver in the open area. Wizz wheel if you can get to it.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Knife blade or ice pick stuck between the split parts works if you have room & patience. Once it starts to move, walk it off the stud.

4. dodge59

dodge59

ok.
    I've tried to spin them off like a nut and that just cuts a groove in the plastic stud . so that doesn't work either .
    problem is............I can barely get at them from the backside . real close to the inner wheel house.
    what is a hose tool ?

guess there is no easy way ..

Attached Files:

5. dodge59

dodge59

can't get both hands up in there to work on it either

6. indyjps

indyjps

7. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Make a long pick from a steel rod & sharpen the end, then bend the last 1/2" slightly. Not like a hook, just about 30 degrees. bend the end you'll be holding 90 degrees for leverage.

Stick the bent pick behind the clip and twist to get the point behind the lock tab, then twist more so it bends out. Usually I can bend them this way so they get loose and can be flicked off.

8. Hose tool is a store bought bent awl. Also used to install glass. Also used to remove cotter pins.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  9. v8juice

v8juice

The harbor freight trim removal kit should work

10. dodge59

dodge59

hey guys ...
    Thanks for all the ideas .. I'll try them all.

here is a pic of where the clips are .. way up in that tiny hole towards the rear .

Attached Files:

11. dadseh

dadseh

How about cutting out the inner panel with a hole saw to get straight access to the clips?

12. dodge59

dodge59

well I managed to reach up inside the quarter and removed those attaching clips off my 500 emblem numbers without breaking the studs off. They actually came off prettty easily . they were pretty thin so the flexed nicely to pry off studs. the 500 emblem numbers are solid aluminum .

Attached Files:

13. cool 500....the first of the D's.....is that the car in Cali ?....think there was one for sale out there a while back...

14. dodge59

dodge59

stillrunner
    no . mine is not the one that was on ebay.. bought this off craigs last summer .. it was in calif also. It was in storage for 40 year . family owned 2 generations. owner owned a dodge dealership . bought it brand new .

not rusted away like the one on ebay..