Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How do I lubricate this transmission? What kind of oil?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sickytwisted, Apr 2, 2014.

1. sickytwisted

sickytwisted

That's All. I Don't Know Where It Receives It's Lubricating Oil, nor Which Kind Of OiL To Use. Please Help. Thanks You.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Interesting, what you have is an old style engine, and a new style transmission. That's a 1966 and later Saginaw, full synchro 3 speed trans. There "should" be a fill plug on the passenger side of the trans. If there's not, you might have to remove the top extension housing bolt, and see if you can fill it from there. 3.5 pints of 90W gear oil. I'm guessing the engine/bell housing is for a truck, and the trans is passenger car (basing this on lower mount bolt holes for the trans-to-bell). Trucks, the lower bolts went from inside the bell into the trans, cars, went from the trans into the bell. You'll probably have to use bolts AND nuts on the lower holes as "none" are tapped in your setup. Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. sickytwisted

sickytwisted

You nailed it. The transmission is now installed in my truck and yes, I put a coupleof grade 8's in the botttom two holes. I'll look for that plug. Thank you. If you feel like chiming in with any more info about my tranny, please do.

4. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Be advised that you cannot use modern 80/90 type gear oil in that trans. Gear/rear end oils produced now attack "yellow" metals and will destroy synchros and bushings.

YOU MUST USE Synchromesh oils. Penzoil is a major seller..

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The correct lube service designation for that era trans is GL4. Sometimes not as easy to find on the shelf at 'modern' parts stores, but is available.