Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 gmc vs chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jandersen, Apr 1, 2014.

1. jandersen

jandersen
    from gretna ne

I found in 1950 GMC pickup truck that I'm thinking about buying. I wanna put a 1950 Chevy grill on it and I'm wondering how difficult that is to do. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You will need a Chevy hood, hood latch plate.....possibly the radiator core support.

The front fenders are the same except for the parking light holes on the Jimmy.

're the radiator support....if you are keeping the stock Jimmy 6, it is about 2 1/2 inches longer than the Chevy 6 and the radiator mounting may need some tweaking.

3. finn

finn

GMC grill is cooler.

4. jandersen

jandersen
    from gretna ne

Thanks hnatray, i'm really fond of the chevy grill. I had 49 chevy but sold it when I divorced. I like the long bed on the gmc and someone swaped the motor for a 235 and its bored 40 over.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since the front crossmembers are quite a bit different and the core supports are similar but again quite a bit different on top and as you plan to run the GMC engine you would need to combine the top part of the Chevy truck's radiator support with the bottom half of the GMC radiator support to be able to install the Chevy latch panel to latch the hood.

The top of the GMC radiator is slightly different too so you have to work your way around that. Nothing that a crafty guy can't accomplish but it will have to be done to make things work right. Mainly you aren't just going to unbolt the GMC hood and grill and bolt on the Chevy grill and hood and be done in a couple of hours. It will take a bit of finessing to get it all to work.

You are also going to have to change the pan under the grill in front of the radiator and if you plan to run the filler panel between the bumper and grill you will have to change that.

6. ...heres an Chevy core support...
    [​IMG]
    ...the Chevy hood latch panel...
    [​IMG]
    ...and lower inner radiator-to-grille filler...
    [​IMG]
    ...heres a GMC, they drop down more on the bottom...and have the bolt-on top cross piece
    [​IMG]
    ...the GMC hood latch panel...
    [​IMG]
    ...and radiator - to - grille filler...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  7. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

8. Tudorp

Tudorp

I built a 49 GMC about 20 years ago. I love the GMC of that era simply because you don't see near as many of them. Wish I had better picture of the actual grill, but like said above I think the metal is the same with the exception of the grill surround and insert, hood. Fenders are the same. Also like mentioned the turn signals are differnt . But for the most part, all bolt on compatible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Chevy clip is not "bolt-on" without some work, GMC front crossmembers are lower, etc.

10. jandersen

jandersen
    from gretna ne

Thanks guys, now I at least know what parts to be looking for. The 50 came home today so I can start working on it.

11. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Looks like an early Fatman front end.

[​IMG]

12. how bout some pics?

13. Tudorp

Tudorp

It's an actual Mustang II front end I had put in my 49. Unless of course your talking about the actual literal "fatman" hanging on the bumper.. lol.

14. jandersen

jandersen
    from gretna ne

15. jandersen

jandersen
    from gretna ne

16. jandersen

jandersen
    from gretna ne

I'll get some more pictures up later. All in all its in pretty good shape, if you don't count the hole Iput in the front fender pulling it out of the field yesterday. Had a slight run in with a hay fork on the tractor.