Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 12 volt generator wiring gauge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by khschs, Apr 1, 2014.

1. khschs

khschs
    from Yuma AZ

With input from this forum I was able to select the proper voltage regulator for my Flathead build. My next question is what gauge wire do I run from my "57" 12 volt generator to the regulator? If I understand correctly I need to run 3 wires, one from the "F" (field) connection located on the barrel of the generator, one from the "A" (armature) connection located on the end plate of the generator and one from the "G" (ground) connection located adjacent to the "F" connection on the barrel of the generator. Is my understanding correct? If not please feel free to educate me on this as wiring and electric are not my long suit.
    Thanks for your help.
    Keith

My old Daddy used to say, Boy anything anybody can do a lot of, you can do a little of it.

2. kingofthestreet

kingofthestreet

Generator:
    "G" (ground) connection - only needed if you're using a fiberglass body (if it makes you feel better, ground it to a common grd or frame)
    "F" (field) connection - 14 gauge
    "A" (armature) connection - 10 gauge

Voltage Regulator
    A connects to A on generator
    F connects to F on generator
    B connects to the battery - 10 gauge

Make sure your system is only putting out 14.5 volts - This requires adjusting the regulator (Any higher than 14.5 will burn up the generator)