Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical front brakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mufflerman, Mar 25, 2014.

1. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Spell check is your friend.

2. sadsack

sadsack

way bad
    sadsack

3. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

O.P. asked if it is necessary to run front brakes. If you were king and you had your own board, one person should respond by saying yes it is o.k. because they ride a bike, "Schwinn or Bobber". Someone else would respond by saying it is not o.k. because they may get hurt. Don't explain how because it would be condescending. End of discussion. Seems pretty boring but hey, run with it. :)

I think 31Vicky understands you better than I do. I think you just enjoy pissing in someone else's cheerios.

Neal

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well....The way I drive rear brakes would probably work fine untill the untill comes along...I dislike them oh shit moments not caused by me...I drove around for years with just front brakes but never had to prove I had rear brakes [didn't know they didn't work] so I lucked out..Now my Crosley has perfect factory stock four wheel brakes, I can slow down fast but I can't stop quick nor lock the wheels so you really have to be on yer toes when in traffic...While the OP will have the ability for full [i.e lock] rear brakes I think it will be like my Crosley; can slow down fast but not gonna stop quick.......

5. Try driving with only your e-brake and see how it feels, I did it for a week many years ago and not much fun when the rear hits a bump and the rear brakes lock up. JW

6. All it takes is one asshole to decide he wants to brake check you for some reason only he understands! There he sits in his Prius holding the back of his neck and your life is destroyed along with your car.

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Extremely well put, 31.

I routinely fail not to lock up my DD VW Golf Mk1's handbrake at the bottom of the driveway. A combination of cold engine, manual 'box, a bit of cam, marked forward weight bias, and ambient temperature too warm to justify the choke mean that I really need three feet at that point. In the absence of the third the handbrake barely suffices.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, flathead 10, these guys are more concerned for your safety than how your car might look sans front brakes. Bottom line, they do not want to encourage a build that is obviously unsafe. Those wheels were designed to go straight down the track, not take sharp turns. Despite the funny or shitty comments, each observer is recommending brakes for the front, period.

9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well stated, 31 Vicky, well stated !

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

No, you're not the only one who sometimes feels the answers given become a joke instead of a helpful response. But I didn't see any responses that touched a nerve for me on this thread. I also get tired of the OT responses that some folks seem to think are their idea of being funny or entertaining, but not every reply that expresses concern for safety is in that group. In this case I felt the responses were in line with the question.

11. flathead_10

flathead_10
    from Kansas

I am glad to see that i am not the only one that feels this way about some comments that are posted. I will admit now that i shouldnt have posted anything and let the board roll on as it will. I would like to appologize to mufflerman for mudding the thread.

12. Apparently you are the only one on this thread

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would rather put up with some smart ass remarks, than be so politically correct you can't tell what the hell the person is driving at.

No front brakes on the street is a bad idea, period. Even in the twenties they knew better and they were driving cars that were barely faster than a horse.

It is not an OPINION that a car with no front brakes won't stop as well as a car with 4 wheel brakes, it is a FACT. And, it is not just a little different, it is a big difference, like more than half your braking power is on the front wheels.

Now if you want to do without front brakes anyway I can't jump out of your computer and stop you. And as long as you drive around like a granny and take NO chances you may get away with it. But where is the fun in that?

14. wex65

wex65
    from WV

One thing I learned about the HAMB a while back. You get exposure to a TON of experience, useful advice and similarly minded people but have to take a little dig in the ribs when you do/say something silly. Seems like a fair trade to me...

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could do what I do...pop a chute. However it's a real bitch re-packing at short stoplights! :eek::D Put brakes on it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  16. Just saw this thread!! One of the best Mach's and Fab's around, cares about what he puts out! If anyone can figure it out "mufflerman" will! By no means a "newbie"!!!! Facebook=32 Grill=ya, OK, Priceless!!! You Lucky SOB

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  17. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Spindle mounts are bad ass no doubt - had a set on my coupe - one trip around the block wqas enough for me - you couldn't pay me to drive a car with no front brakes after that...well unless it was on a dragstrip and had a parachute!!!!!!

18. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Ryan Reed at Reed's Design can tell you how to mount those front brakes. I have seen them on several cars on the West Coast. ET may offer a solution also. I will dig up some photos.

19. 5 spokes I know and the new ones to boot. But these have a bigger center than the originals so brakes on these are easy , expensive but easy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  20. Well in response to flathead 10 (yes I don't want to be left out) Yes I am a jaded asshole, but I haven't always been jaded.

The reason I don't want him driving behind me with no front brakes on his hooptie is simple, while I am busy trying to miss the ass in front of me who decided to stop and smell the roses (why else would you slam on your brakes on the interstate) I do not want to have to worry about the muther behind me running my jaded assholyness over, it will be enough for me to worry about trying not to bang into the fella in front of me. While that sounds a little selfish on my part I still think it is a legitimate concern.

21. mufflerman

mufflerman

[​IMG]well guys. Just a follow-up of this post. It been a little over 3 years and 10,000 miles. Haven't piled up my coupe yet. I've raced. driven over 400 miles in a day,and all is good. Yes you have to pay attention. And watch for idiots. Thanks for all the top and concern's. Seeya at the Hamb drags 2017

Sent from my XT1093 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. southcross2631

southcross2631

Some of the old state laws stated that if the car was under a certain weight it only needed 2 wheel brakes and no fenders. My first hot rod was a 33 Chevy 3 window with a 324 Olds and I drove it with rear brakes only. Same as with a bike with no front brakes , don't tailgate and be careful in the rain.

mufflerman likes this.
  23. flathead_10

flathead_10
    from Kansas

Muffler man is this the car that is scheduled for a first round match race with Malcolm at the 2017 hamb drags?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mufflerman likes this.
  24. Been there, done that in my ignorant youth. Works OK on dry ground with very good traction on rear tires. However, if you apply rear-only brakes with poor rear traction (wet, icy, sandy, other?), the car INSTANTLY goes endo, literally flips around backward. During that excursion, the driver has zero control of what the car runs into, over, etc. Don't do it on ANYTHING that is not a 2mph, rod show cruiser. I too thought, 'as long as I pay attention and avoid situations, I can get away with this'. That is a dangerous illusion; sooner or later you get into a situation, even if it is not of your making, where rear-only brakes put you in serious harm's way. I am SO thankful that I was taught this lesson early in my rodding career and with no harm done. You don't want to experience this situation, trust me. It makes an E-ticket ride seem like an afternoon nap. PLEASE run front brakes.

Incidentally, front brakes do a minimum 60%, probably more, of the braking on the average car. That is how much stopping power you are sacrificing, even if the endo problem didn't exist.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    gimpyshotrods likes this.
  25. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I would think that if you rear ended someone without front brakes, You would have hell to pay and be sued.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  26. mufflerman

mufflerman

Well. If he is the one that has the all metal,no.paint, model A coupe, w/ the FE ford engine and 5 peed...then... Yes that is the car I'm calling out.

27. flathead_10

flathead_10
    from Kansas

[​IMG]

His car looks so much safer with the motorcycle brakes on the front.

Ron Funkhouser and mufflerman like this.
  28. Moon shiners turn is pretty cool in the movies

29. mufflerman

mufflerman

I like

30. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

And some guy on another Post was worried about a big enough Brake light................

mufflerman likes this.