Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage SPEEDWEEK; Notes from DLRA SPEEDWEEK '2014

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spoggie, Mar 27, 2014.

1. skinnydude

skinnydude

MY hat is off to you . your pics. and drawings are fantastic . surely looks like a brutial place. once again thanks to you and yours. cheers mate .

2. robber

robber

Interesting :cool:???:) ...robber

3. OH yes, very good..:)

Skinnydude- Brutal perhaps, but also inspiring..

Camp at sunrise- this taken right on the spot where my tent was pitched. Lake is about 5-6 mile from here. At breakfast, after I took this shot, I could here a V8, flat- open, 5-6 mile away. I stood there, in those low hills, stood still. With my ear pointed at the sound, zeroing in.
    There was no wind. The camp was quiet, salt- bound. I silently listen to that hotrod, 5-6 mile away, dis-appearing.
    So begins another day down- under.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  4. BarryA

BarryA

Hey Steve, at Hakskeenpan - a dry lake in the Kalahari Desert. It's the same place that they're going to shoot for 1000mph with Bloodhound SSC
    http://217.154.96.66/project/adventure/desert-race-track/hakskeen-pan

The track we run on is on the other side of the 'pan. This'll be year 3 and there'll be at least one Aussie in our group again this year...

https://www.facebook.com/KalahariDesertSpeedweek

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  5. Kiwi Bob

Kiwi Bob

Hey Spoggie,good pics mate,here is a view you may not have seen.
    This is at the six mile mark on the main course.This was on the Thursday setting out the course,just me and the surveyor in the middle of heaven,

[​IMG]

6. Kiwi Bob & BarryA, thank you X2..:)

KiwiBob, please excuse me, I hope this is not ridiculous- is that looking south toward startline, or opposite ( north)? Awesome pic.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  7. robber

robber

I really dig the yellow "Slaughter" streamliner, Spoggie! Now that would take some real cojones! :D It reminds me of a somewhat smaller version of the Summers Brother's "Golden Rod"... very smooth and slippery with the aerodynamics of an arrow ;) Very Cool! I wish Trevor and his team the best in their endeavor... robber

8. Kiwi Bob

Kiwi Bob

Hey Spoggie , the pic I took is looking South,south west (towards where the timing van sits,)

9. Thanks fellas.
    Rob, yep, The Slaughter effort is something very special- looking to smash Sir Donald Campbell's wheel- driven aussie record set with 'Bluebird' on Lake Eyre in '64. Their target is 800 km/h ( 500 mph). Mrs. Slaughter very generously showed me around this unforgettable car. I see a Goldenrod google revision coming up soon..:)
    BarryA's Bloodhound outright land- speed attempt & associated links in post #34 is Out-freakin'- standing.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014