Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects castrol super clean

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JD Miller, Mar 28, 2014.

1. JD Miller

JD Miller

castrol super clean, anyone used it?

Work good at degreasing etc?

Where can you buy it?

Hadn't heard of it before. Saw a video of a guy useing it to degrease. Looks like it removes rust stains and light rust and will eat the skin off your hands too... so it must be pretty good stuff

:cool:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  2. deucemanab

deucemanab

3. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

Works good but be careful it is corrosive.

4. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

When it first came out it was unbelievable the way it cleaned! You'd spray down a 30 year old connecting rod, crankshaft, or anything with oil burnished on it for years and it would look like new after a couple spray/rinses! It was industrial strength for sure! It would burn you too, which is probably why at some point I quickly realized they'd changed the formula. Its not nearly as potent as it was but still a fairly good degreaser. I use it or Purple Power, whichever is on sale.

5. JD Miller

JD Miller

That sucks,,, nanny state is "protecting" us again

Where can you get it?

home depot ?

how much is a gallon $$$ ?

Walmart got it?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  6. BobMcD

BobMcD

I have been using Super Clean for a while now and it works great. I get it at Walmart.

7. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Easy off oven cleaner works great for removing grease too

8. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Napa carries it at $12.56 a gallon. Best value is to buy the quart spray bottle and the gallon refill jug, then go to work. 390 merc is correct, it is not as potent as it used to be but still works well for degreasing, just let it set a bit longer.

9. 41GASSER

41GASSER

You will notice that when it gets on your skin and you then try to wash it off your hands will feel a little greasy. No worries thats actually your skin thats dissolving. I have used it several years now. I have had it leave spots / discoloration a few times if used on anodized aluminum. Dave

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Gasoline works great and it's traditional.

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Same basis as Castrol Super Clean; it's sodium hydroxide (lye).

Wear chemical handling gloves and safety glasses and you won't suffer any annoying effects from it..

Model car builders use oven cleaner and CSC to remove paint or chrome plating from model parts as it'll remove the finish w/o harming the styrene plastic.

I hope you're kidding. Gas being used as a cleaner is a recipe for a trip to the burn center.

12. JD Miller

JD Miller

Diesel fuel

13. JD Miller

JD Miller

Diesel fuel- traditional

14. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Couple thoughts worth sharing...
    Seek out someone in your community who makes bio-diesel and ask them for a few gallons of their leftovers. When they make bio they treat vegetable oil with lye and methanol. It causes the oil to release glycerine. They then have a leftover byproduct of glycerine, lye, and methyl alcohol. That concoction will clean/degrease anything with amazing results and it's usually free.

The dollar tree has cans of oven cleaner for a buck. I always keep a couple of them on hand for small cleanup jobs. One can will do a whole engine compartment. Spray it all over the engine, fenderwells, etc and drive to the self serve car wash. A dollars worth of quarters will make the nastiest 30 year old clunker sparkle like it was made yesterday. I always do this to a car before I work on it. It just makes it so much more pleasant to deal with.

Another "non traditional" household cleaner that works great is CLR from the old TV commercials. That stuff will eat rust like nobody's business, leaving clean grey bare metal behind.

15. Gun wash works great too, fantastic on carbies!

16. Deuces

Deuces

It also removes chrome from plastic...
    And enamel paint..

17. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

works great on white walls.

18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Purple power plays havik with my nose when I use it.

Ago

19. I have used it to strip paint off of old plastic model cars. It didn't damage the body. But that was when it first came out haven't used it in a while.

20. I buy it at Waqlmart. Been using it for about 10 years. Straight up, it pulls grease/oil right out of parts. Cleaned a crankshaft and rods I had back to silver gray.

Works good at pulling stains out of concrete/paving stone driveways. Spray on, wire brush if old stain, sprtiz again, let sit, and rinse.

21. mr crocket

mr crocket

Have a home depot pump pesticides sprayer with super clean in shop wouldn't be without it. Purple Power sucks!