Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 chevy pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rgreathouse, Sep 1, 2010.

1. rgreathouse

rgreathouse
    from jackson,ca

Hi, wondering if the hood top and sides from my 1936 chevy low cab pickup will line up with everything on my 1937 cab?

I read somewhere that the body line on the lower cowl will not line up???

thanks

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

The hood should fit. I'm not sure what you mean by lower body line.

The bead at the bottom of the cowl is different on 36 and 37/38 cabs. The 36 bead goes from the door forward and connects with the vertical bead on the front edge of the cowl. The 37/38, in the same area has some of that bead missing as the fender cuts through that area.

The first picture is of the 36 cab (low)
    P1010098 (Medium).JPG

The second picture if of the 37/38 cab. You can see where the fender goes on the later cab and the bead is eliminated.
    P1010097 (Medium).JPG

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  3. 37chev

37chev

the 36-38 cab are the same, but the hoods on all 3 are different.. different front ends.. same front fenders on 37-38.. been working on a 37 for a cpl years hope this helps

4. 37chev

37chev

the 36 hood will match up as long as you have the 36 fenders and 36 grille shell..

5. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

The 37/38 cabs are the same, as far as I know. The 36 cab is similar, but there are some differences; which have been mentioned in other threads over the years.

6. rgreathouse

rgreathouse
    from jackson,ca

thank you for the help, I am planning on running no fenders so I was wondering if the 36 hood would line up with my 37 cab. Doesnt sound like it though.

7. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Try it. There are a couple of differences in the cab, as were noted, but it should work.

8. rgreathouse

rgreathouse
    from jackson,ca

does anyone know if 1937 front fenders will fit on a 1936 low cab? line up with grille and cab?

thanks

9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Now I'm confused. You started by asking:

Now are you going the other way, is this right?

There is a beaded feature on the bottom back of the 36 cowl that goes to the vertical bead coming down the forward edge of the cowl (look at my earlier pictures). This bead is the only problem you should have with the 37/38 fenders. What hood and grille are you trying to line them up with?

Whichever cab you use, each year frontend group (hood, fenders and grille) will work if used as an assembly with the only problem being the fit where the lower cowl bead interfaces with the fender. The possible problem will be the 37/38 fenders with the 36 cab; which should be minor.

10. rgreathouse

rgreathouse
    from jackson,ca

ok thank you very much for the reply.

here is my situation, I have a complete 37 1.5 ton and I have various parts from a 36 half ton including bed, chassis, grille, rear fenders... I prefer the 36 grill much more to the 37. So I have been planning on building a fenderless truck with the 36 grille. I somewhat agree to most peoples opinions that trucks after 34 dont look good fenderless, although I have seen some I like. But I do like them better with hoods. This is why i was wondering if the 36 hood would fit the 37 cab. And recently I started kickin around the idea of running the 37 fenders on my 37 cab with the 36 grille and hood to have a full fender 36 "looking" truck.

Sorry for the long post. There just seems to be a lot of differences in this eara chevy.

36 cabs being build with low and tall cabs/37 and 38 cabs not having wood,having a taller windshield, and only part of the lower cowl body line, and two different grilles between 37 and 38. basicaly 4 different trucks between 36-38.

thanks

11. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

It will work.

The only way that this will work is if you don't run hood sides and I'm not sure how the fenders would interface with the grille. It might be worth a try though. You could make some custom hood sides to match the curvature of the 37/38 fender.

12. rgreathouse

rgreathouse
    from jackson,ca

well since my 37 1.5 ton is a complete truck I am thinkin about pullin the hood off and grill and seeing if my 36 grill will fit. hows this sound?

13. indyjps

indyjps

Great, how about some pics either way

14. cad man

cad man

The difference between 36 and 37/38 cabs the body line at the bottom of the cowl is shorter , the windsheild frame is taller , the door pillars have no wood on the 37/38 the rear edge of the hood where it meets the cab looks to be the same

15. lawman

lawman

Good Info. Thanks .Tom (Tired Old Man)

16. mjhartz87

mjhartz87
    from Conroe TX

reviving this thread for a full conclusion.. i have a 1938 1.5 ton chassis that i have sectioned and scaled down for a 1/2. i have a 1936 pickup complete minus the original chassis. ive noticed there are slight differences at the front of the frame but does anyone know how far my alignments will be off since i know the 37+ had a much longer nose. basically what all is it going to take to make the 36 fit on a 38 chassis? just bracketry?

17. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I've never seen anyone do what you are trying to do, so my guess is you will find out while you are going. Let us know how it works out.