Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ..y-block 239 won't keep idling....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54topless, Mar 25, 2014.

1. 54topless

54topless

Just got the 239 running and can't keep it idling. After reving it up, it will go to idle for a short time, then acts like it just runs out of gas. Other than the idle problem, the engine runs great

Engine hadn't been run for a long time. Could it be something that needs cleaning out in the Holley carb? Don't want to rebuild the carb if it could be something else.

Any advice will be appreciated...

Thanks,
    54topless

2. Chances are it needs it anyway just because its been sitting

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Remove the top of the carb, check needle and seat for dirt; then remove the air mixture screws, and blow them out.
    Inspect the fuel bowl for dirt: wipe out and blow clean. Check float setting: carb top upside down, you should see about 1/8" to 3/16" between machined surface of carb top and float.

Replace the carb top, turn air mixture screws about 3 turns out, and start the engine.
    Standing at the fender, rev it up to about 2500 RPM and hand-choke it, while giving it throttle, then keeping it running, repeat twice. Now clear it by revving it once to 2,000 RPM, let idle.
    This should suck out the dirt or 'soft varnish' in the carb.
    As it was revving fine before, the fuel pressure is not likely the problem.
    I'm sure there are some 'unwashed' that will disagree.

4. That's all worth a shot .
    Then you can rebuild it and wash it

5. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

My 292 did the same thing when I brought it home, I rebuilt it and it still was doing the same thing, it turned out the shafts where shot and leaking around them! I swapped out the O.G. carb for a new one i found on that auction site and my problem was solved! Not saying you have the same problem but that's what mine ended up being.....

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

7. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

Tear the carb down, immerse and soak all metal parts in carbon solvent, install new kit. Follow the instructions that come with the kit.