Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Plymouth Coupe Build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Dec 14, 2009.

1. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I would use the '41 upper control arms, Chrysler redesigned them after only two years use, and then used the new design for 15 years. My car has the '40 style, and I rebuilt the entire front end last winter, using the '40 style parts. Hey, they lasted this long, right?

I would much rather use the NOS from Moog, or McQay Norris, than questionable repops... They made good stuff back then. They are common in swap meets, on line stores, and ebay. Shop ebay for a while, good deals turn up, when others aren't bidding against you!

I don't know about needing special tools, I used a big vise, and a breaker bar with a pipe on it.

2. n847

n847

Indy47 I live in west-milton I'm about 20-30 miles north if Dayton. Eatons not far at all from me. Make sure you go to the air force museum when your at wright pat. Shoot me a PM when your around if I'm free we can hook up!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

the upper A arm and the up right are different,,so is the mounting hardware... how did you manage to get the coil springs in place with no weight on the frame ?? did you use a spring compressor ?? looking good so far,,

4. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

ok a little confused,,,, u say to use the 41 control arms,,, but u perfer the original hard ware,,,the original stuff is nos and is only available for the 1939/40 ,,,,,and cost s more,,,not sure how much more but thats not a problem,,, just trying to figure out which way to go,,, i just bought a 1940 shop manual so i have all the deminsions,,

ive been seeing some spreader tools people are making to keep the control arms spread apart so there is no binding of the threaded bushings,,, any adivse you have would be helful,,

5. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

The original stuff, NOS, is available for anything. Not hard to find for Mopar. I have two leftover sets of NOS upper, outer, control arm bushings for the '41 style upper control arms. One set for Scott, PM me if interested in the other set.

I put my control arms in the vise, and installed the bushings there. Mopar bushings are metal on metal, the only rubber is grease seals. Screwed them in with a big socket, 1/2" breaker bar with a pipe on it. They're a bitch to screw in!! My manual shows torque to 160 pounds, it takes every bit of that to get them in! I needed a pipe cause I'm not that strong anymore...

The only difference between '40 upper arms, and '41, is the earlier is forged and attaches on one side of the upright only. The '41 style is stamped and welded together, and attaches both sides of the upright. I believe the upright is the same, but they require different upper, outer, control arm bushings.

6. 1959apache

1959apache

Alright, I have been busy the past few days. I bolted on the front wheels and tested it out the frame by standing on it... seems to be sturdy enough :D

I also started taking the front of the coupe apart in preparation in removing the engine and tranny and transplanting it into the new frame. I did some homework as well and made a list of bushing that are needed to finish up the leaf springs. Basically I need to purchase them, clean up the leaf springs, and then go through and install everything.. should take about a day to clean up and an hour or two to install.

Here are some pics of the mess ahead of me :( :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 1959apache

1959apache

does someone have a picture of how this radiator shroud mounts to the frame on a '40? What am I missing?

8. 1959apache

1959apache

I am going to go for the engine looking something close to what I did on the Apache:

[​IMG]

9. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I would move the engine as far back as possible, so the core support can mount in the original location. The front sheet metal all hangs off the core support, so it has to be located correctly. Originally the rad mounts to the back of this support, not the front as you have it, but if you can get it in front, that's better! I can get you some pictures of mine, it is stock in those regards.

10. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

See your last photo on #269, those two big holes in the front cross member locate the bottom of the core support. The old Mopars had two big 5/8 studs coming down from the lower core support, bolting to this cross member. Do you have this bottom half of the core support? You will need it.

Remember how much trouble we had adjusting this on my '36 to get the hood aligned?

11. 1959apache

1959apache

Cool Dave that is what I need. Thanks dude

12. 1959apache

1959apache

well I sold an old air compressor and bought a 2 ton engine hoist. I only had to spend $20 out of pocket and got a brand new hoist that was used once. Still works great! Now off to pull the engine and tranny out of the coupe and put it in the new frame!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 1959apache

1959apache

Well My buddy Todd and I swapped spots with the frame with the car in the garage. Cleaned a bunch of stuff up. Removed the engine and tranny from the old frame and half ass installed to the new frame. just to get it mounted.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

apache sorrry we are hi jacking your tread,,, you meen installing new bushings in a good used control arm was that hard to twist them in ?? what im trying to find out is,, if the factory hard ware will fit these moog arms,,they are called improved design,,and i found matching hardware nos improved design from rare parts in calif,,and man those prices are like buying a new car,,, wondering if i can just use the factory style hard ware not the moog improved designed stuff ,,according to the shop manual you need a tool to keep the control arms spread while installing new bushings,,,

15. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

apache looking good,,,nice size garage tooo

16. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks, fstfish66, don't worry about hijacking it, its knowledge everyone can use, including me.

I know if you are patient that you will be able to find upper, lower, control arms, as well as all associated bushings for cheap from ebay. That is where we shop. It takes a little bit of time but you can pick up some great deals there for front suspension

Does anyone have any extra grill bars as well as a complete radiator core support. OR just the lower half of the radiator core support?

17. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

For front end & other parts, Try [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected] They are all good people to deal with, with big old warehouses full of NOS parts. But I found the best prices on ebay auctions, just not everytime. Sometimes the bid would go too high, I'd pass, and then a few weeks later I would get the parts very reasonable. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

18. 1959apache

1959apache

Do you think that any of these would have a core support?

19. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I shortened the tranny cross member because it sounded like fun, so I got it somewhat close. I will have to do the final chop when I get the motor in place.

[​IMG]

Onto the filthy dirty leaf springs.... Dave (36dodgeram) you were right, they are in pretty damn good shape.... once I cleaned them up a little and got rid of the metal dust casing.

[​IMG]

Hell they look brand new under the casing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will have to use a press to get this bushing out of there.. any suggestions would be great

[​IMG]

These things came apart like they were new yesterday. I didn't have to fight anything but that bushing... which has yet to move.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did get a lead on a parts yard in South Dakota... man those guys are proud of that core support $200 shipped to my door. I don't think so.... that is a rip. It better arrive covered in gold for that price. Any help would be appreciated

20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try the guys over on the P15 site. Someone over there has a radiator core support.

21. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

If any of you guys need Mopar parts numbers for your '40, let me know. I've got The Book!

Mopar #877002 for the radiator support.

Attached Files:

22. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

36 dodge ram,,,,,,thanks fro the links ill give them a look,,, i plan on takin g it apart tomorrow and see exactly what i have and what i need,,,, whats with those upper outer pins you have ? thanks don

23. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

These are just some leftover parts I had, from rebuilding my front suspension last winter. Two sets of NOS boxed Moog '41 style upper outer pins & bushings. I think the other piece is a NOS Regal brand lower outer.

Attached Files:

24. 1959apache

1959apache

Dave,

did you press in a new silencer block into your leaf springs or did you have someone else do it with a press? Does Corby have a press?

25. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

At the front of the leaves, mine are just some old loose rubber bushings with a large bolt thru them, needs redone, someday...

But I did replace the shackles years ago, with the 'C' shaped forged ones.

You could press new ones in with a big enough vise. I don't know if he has a press, but he probably does.

26. powhatan42

powhatan42

I can get a photo for you if you did not get one yet. The build look great keep up the good work!:cool:

27. powhatan42

powhatan42

Scott, Hello again, I may have those parts that you need, the core support and the stainless for the front grill etc. I am building a custom grill for my '40.

28. 1959apache

1959apache

Killer! My email is [email protected] shoot some pictures for me and lets talk there

29. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I spent about 4-5 hours trying to degrease and get rid of the flakes of rust on the leaf springs. Overall, everything is in pretty good shape. I finally got to the point where kitty litter was easier to use to clean the springs than anything else. Soon I will use a parts washer then go through and blast them, then onto paint.

[​IMG]

Since I felt like I didn't accomplish much of anything I decided to see what I was missing as far as stainless on the grill. I have the whiskers at the top, the Plymouth name badges, headlight and tail light rings, and I am missing 4 bars (of the ones I have, some have some decent dings in them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I have been busting my butt getting stuff sandblasted, replacing the bushings on the leaf springs, prepping to remove the rear end from the coupe, cleaning up the garage, etc. Today, I will remove the rear end and drive shaft and hopefully get the old frame out of the garage and the new one under the coupe so I can get the engine and tranny in where they need to be. My buddy is going to give me a hand with it again, so we will see how far we get tonight... Pictures to come this evening. :D