Register now to get rid of these ads!

History FIFI B29 Superfortress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Hey Fellas, Hope this is relevant to our crazy little message board. Yesterday, I was out in the backyard and a familiar roar came overhead. FIFI the last flying B29, flew2 right over my me. Needless to say, the hair on the back of my neck stood straight up!! And, I knew exactly were she was headed. So today, the wife and I stopped by the Orlando Executive Airport to get up close and personal, with the Ole' girl.

Two things made my emotions turn to mush. First off, Pops spent time at this very airfield, back in 1943 during WWII. It was then Orlando Air force Base. Second, a recently deceased uncle (Kenneth Cooke) was actually a navigator, during WWII, on a B29. Jumped at the chance to get my picture taken, in the seat, he would have been in.

Hats off to the Commemorative Air Force, for all their hard work, keeping her in the air. FIFI was acquired by the CAF in the early 1970s when a group of CAF members found her at the U.S. Navy Proving Ground at China Lake, California where she was being used as a missile target. To think that she was found, in the desert, 40yrs ago, being used for target practice, makes my skin crawl. Supposedly the last flying example. :cool::cool::cool:
    Check out her flying schedule and if it is anywhere near, I strongly recommend taking the time to see her.
    http://www.airpowersquadron.org/#!b29-schedule/c1yws

JT

Attached Files:

2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

My son and I rode on her last St. Patrick's day in Palm Springs. On that day there was a former B-29 Bombardier dressed in his WWII uniform with I believe his Granddaughter. You know of course that it costs about $1500.00 to ride in the Bombardier's seat, well the CAF took no money from the former bombardier. He was sitting up front and grinning large. I talked to him briefly and he had many combat missions over Japan.

3. An amazing airplane!

I had the privilege of seeing her and B-24 Diamond Lil together at the same time, at the same airport, back in the early 80's.

4. You heard just one flying overhead. I wonder what it was like when a hundred took off on a raid.

5. 296ardun

296ardun

Fifi came to Montgomery, AL some years ago, I took my youngest daughter into her, sat in the cockpit as the crew explained the plane, she never forgot it. Appreciation of these restored planes is something I hope we older folks pass on to the younger generations, so thanks to the Commerative Air Force (and all the other aircraft restorers) who keep these planes flying!

6. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Did some volunteer work on both "FIFI" and "Diamond Lil" here in Tulsa... One of my militaria pieces is the lower sump from one of FIFI's engines..

[​IMG]

7. Ramblur

Ramblur

You need to come over this weekend and check the project next door, "Fertile Myrtle".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Ramblur..

Is anyone working on the A-24?? My dad's Sqdn flew them in the early days from Port Moresby..

9. my little FiFi story....

Wheeled o'FiFi off our ramp where'd she'd been parked over the weekend in the 80's at Love Field where I was working at the time. There really wasn't a tow bar that fit real well and we needed the ramp for incoming that Monday....so we kinda moseyed it on over out of the way with Bill pulling and me steering because I was the thinnest guy that could go through the tunnel to the cockpit...

10. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

11. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

This quote form the OP seems to be soon to be operational "Doc" rather than Fifi:

"Hats off to the Commemorative Air Force, for all their hard work, keeping her in the air. FIFI was acquired by the CAF in the early 1970s when a group of CAF members found her at the U.S. Navy Proving Ground at China Lake, California where she was being used as a missile target. To think that she was found, in the desert, 40yrs ago, being used for target practice, makes my skin crawl"

Fifi used to belong to the late Victor Agathur, who moved from the U.S. to Mexico City prior to WW2 and had several businesses there. In the mid 1990s he told me that Boeing restored her for him, and he enjoyed sharing her with people on the tours. He was also a car guy, but not into hot rods - he was still working on his Jag XK-120 when he died about ten years ago.

12. Absolutely beautiful plane, so good to see her restored and still flying. I'd love the chance to see her in the flesh.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Had to drag the Mrs, kicking and screaming the whole way, but once she got up close and inside she could not stop taking pictures.;) Told everyone I knew, in the area to go and see her. More Americans need to fully appreciate how we gained the freedom we so much take for granted.

JT

p.s. Ramblur, We will be there this weekend, FO SHO'

14. 65COMET

65COMET

We have a CAF Squadron here in Camarillo,CA.,[ the old Oxnard AFB],FiFi has been here a couple of times.I finally got to tour the plane last year,AWESOME!!! The Collins Foundation stops here every year with their B-17,B-24 and either a B-25 or P-51 along with the Big Bombers!! We also have a CAF show every year with many old Warbirds and a lot [few that are left] WW2 Veterans!! The coolest part is I live right under the approach to the Airport!!! ROY.

15. stimpy

stimpy

probably made at the old Dodge plant here in Chicago ( whats now Ford city mall ) my grandfather machined the tachometer gears for the motors there before he enlisted .

16. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Very cool, thank you for posting it.

17. Incredible B29 propaganda film of Tokyo bombing mission. 35 minutes. Skip to the 8:00 minute mark and watch in amazement.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W-QUIzaDYSs
    Way better than anything on the Boob Tube right now.
    (except for Top Gear...and I'm taping that) :rolleyes:

Mechanic s could do a motor swap in like 4 hours, after practicing.:eek:

JT

18. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395707676.348426.jpg pic from a couple of years ago looking out the front of Fifi

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Ramblur

Ramblur

Not familiar with the banshee/Dauntless deal. Could this be it at his Golden Hill storage facility? At about the 1:40 mark? Maybe hit Kermit up on his facebook page and you might get an answer too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv9snIJ41js

20. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

glad to see Fifi is still in the air. I had the privilege of helping to make restoration parts for her back in the 90's, when she came into Boing field Seattle for some resto work.

21. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I don't see how this is possible. In 1991, when the CAF had the 50th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, FIFI was already restored and stationed at the Midland headquarters. It was owned by the CAF at that time.

22. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

He told me in the mid 1990s, not that the work was done then. The plane had been in Harlingen (sp?) Texas for quite a few years at that time.

What do you suppose the shop rate is for Boeing restorations?

23. We moved FiFi around Love Field as restored to flying about 1984....and she was done up before that as we had seen her flying in Midland and Harlinger, Tx ...

24. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Thanks much for posting the video! Have posted on Kermits page..

25. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

My retired Air Force neighbor ask me what hot rod I was working on and I proudly said a 32 ford then Don replies he crew chief on a B 29 named FiFi he shows me the pictures tells me about the belly landing new engines and how cool the plane is and I still just have a old car !!

26. fleet-master

fleet-master

thanks jakespeed63.enjoyed that!!

27. dos zetas

dos zetas

My late mother was a "draftsman" for Boeing in the B29 rooms, always think of her when I see photos of these planes. I still have her Keuffel & Esser tools.

28. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

FIFI was at Deer Valley Airport in Phoenix last spring. I had the chance to have my rides picture taken with her.

Attached Files:

• fifi.jpg
      fifi.jpg
      File size:
      209.8 KB
      Views:
  29. Silverplate

Silverplate

The place is closing to the public very soon, better hurry!

30. Ramblur

Ramblur

Only closing for the summer and will reopen in a scaled back operation this fall. whilst reinventing themselves into something to rival Disney and Universal Studios. Fifi had a tire problem while at nearby Lakeland a few years back and Kermit hooked them up with a replacement. They let him fly it to Tallahassee. :)

[​IMG]

Here's Fantasy of Flight and my RV park seen through Fifi's nose.
    [​IMG]