Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 327 Flywheel - Still Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RamJet1, Mar 22, 2014.

1. RamJet1

RamJet1

I pulled the 1970 350 out of the '65 today in preparation for the original 327 to go back in.
    After pulling the pressure plate and disc, I saw the flywheel. Seems to me these are heat cracks, or something like that.

Is this flywheel wasted, usable, or in need of turning?
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Looks like it is JUNK. I would not trust it.

3. 383offroad

383offroad
    from Colorado

It's junk. It would better suit you as an anchor. There is way to much heat checking and it looks like it's blued.

4. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

there are always guys who say buy a new one---take it to a good machine shop and let them resurface it or junk it---that type of surface is very common on flywheels that get abused...

5. fatkoop

fatkoop

It CAN probably be blanchard ground and saved but SBC flywheels are pretty cheap. I'd get a new one.

6. stimpy

stimpy

if its blued don't take the chance , buy a new one , when we machined them at the shop , if you could catch your fingernail on it or had blue ( annealed) or black spots ( hardened ) , it was scrap metal , if it was brown to yellow it was ok to cut .

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'd shit-can that one. They're not that expensive, why run the risk.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you compare the cost of a new flywheel with the cost of just the mechanical and body damage that occurs if it explodes, it is no contest. And that is just vehicle damage ....your feet and legs , and those of a passenger, are way more valuable than a couple hundred bucks, if that much.

9. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Looks like shit to me

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those look like they're pretty deep. I suppose you could get it ground and see what it looks like, but pretty sure that would just be wasting money.

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

New GM runs about $213 from gmpartsdirect. Maybe cheaper elsewhere.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It kind of looks rough but I do not know if i would trust a cheap replacement flywheel either.

13. I'd hunt down a better one.

14. RamJet1

RamJet1

Thanks, guys, I appreciate your knowledge and wisdom.

It's the original unit (as far as I know), so I'll keep it around the shop for posterity (and maybe for shop art or a base for something), but Corvette Central has a new one for a decent price. I'll have to call to see where it's made.

Thanks again.

15. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

I deff think that one has seen its day... why risk it...

16. Thank goodness you found that before a nasty event! Even if you could resurface it, that takes metal (weight) away from its' designed purpose of smoothing engine rotation.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is perfect, for the base of a home made tool stand.

18. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

that fly wheel is neutral balance ---trust your machine shop...

19. COOP

COOP

Last fall I was at my local scrapyard when I noticed the owner throwing a bunch of scrap in a gondola. He was throwing out a bunch of old flywheels and pressure plates that he had been saving for years. These were flywheels, not flex plates. I went thru 'em and found 8 really good ones (all chevy). He took $50 for the whole lot. 6 small ones and 2 big ones. Took 'em home, cleaned 'em up, and sprayed 'em with oil. Threw 'em in an old plastic tote and put 'em in storage. Actually there were only a few of these that were cracked so bad they were junk. The one you got don't look good.