Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sectioning a 51 Pontiac.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bjinatj, Mar 17, 2014.

1. bjinatj

bjinatj

Dave Kinnaman from Kinnamans Kustom Kars invited me over to help section a 51 Pontiac for a Kustom build he is working on. After the days work was complete I made a video with instructional images and time lapse over a few hours. I thought you guys may like it. We are going to be putting a fastback top and trunk lid on it as well so the rear section wasn't as much of a concern at this point.

Making the video was much harder than working on the car. If this video seems popular or helpful enough I will make videos for the remaining work.
    We are up in the air on what work is being completed as we want to keep this in an early 50's style. Work will be be doing many, but not all of the following:

different hood
    fastback top
    Scoops
    pancake
    nose
    deck
    paint
    stripe

To be considerate I will mention If you don't like metal music you might want to turn down the volume.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CkyyF80zQzM?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

What an undertaking! Cool to see it in progress (with music off!)
    Good luck with the rest of the build!

3. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

Lots of thinking going on there. Good to see younger guys enjoying this. And dig the tunes.

4. fleet-master

fleet-master

I love sectioned cars and it looks like this one's gona turn out real sweet. Will you be posting any more videos of the rest of the job? I'd love to see how it turns out.

5. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Very Cool...
    Reminds me of the "monster Garage" episode with the 54 chebby.

6. bjinatj

bjinatj

Funny you said that. I helped with the Chicago Winfield chop a couple of weeks ago and Gene and I talked quite a bit about that build. :)

7. abc123

abc123

Nicely done. Please post more as it progresses. I like having the clock on the back wall in the picture -- you guys are fast workers!

8. bjinatj

bjinatj

The more I watch it the more I am sure I will make more videos. Having it in a few years will be kind of nice.

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Fastback roof? Keep the Pontiac "waterfall" hood? Scoops on the roof over the backlight? Side scoops on the hood? Really cool video, great job with the section, it's cool.

Brian

10. Sweet!!! Thanks for sharing this, bjinatj.

11. SoCal

SoCal

Cool. Thanks for posting and one more vote for more vids!

12. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Been itchin to section something. This is a great little video. Thanks for sharing!

13. layedout49

layedout49

Guys make it look pretty easy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. That is a lot of work... go get it... Keep us posted...

15. Nice to see what Dave has going on in his shop, he makes a lot of things look easy! Keep us posted with more on this build.

16. bjinatj

bjinatj

For the enormous effort involved he does make things seem simpler than they really are. I volunteer to help him as often as I can. He is one heck of a builder.

17. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

loved watching that!

18. Dave built my 55 Chevy when I was in high school in 93-94. Back then if I hadn't live hundred mile away, I would have loved to volunteer help just to learn as much as I could! He's a good one to learn from, one heck of a builder indeed.

19. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

Dave K is an awesome builder, I met him through a mutual friend several years ago, got to see his shop and what he had going on. Very Cool! Is that 51 Alan's old poncho??? Cant wait to see more videos of the progress! thanks
    scott

20. bjinatj

bjinatj

I cannot be sure, but Dave mentioned it was brought back from Kansas. I think he might have also mentioned someone named Alan previously owning it.

-Ronnie

21. Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

22. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Cool indeed! Can't wait to see the progress.

23. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

time lapse video's are the best! Nice work. I didn't turn the music down either... good choice all the way around ;-)

24. LONG

LONG

25. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

i realy enjoyed that! always had some questions about sectioning a car, this answered them, thanks a ton really neat.

26. Marten

Marten

Coool! Great documentation

27. bent metal

bent metal

Very cool! Tip the camera down a tiny bit, don't stand in front of the car for the last half of the video, and I needed more music in the last half. :) Loved it, the whole thing, just a couple of adjustments for video #2.

More please.

28. low51fan

low51fan

The video was awesome can't wait to see more

29. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Video is great. Next time around I'd add some extra lighting so we can see the details though.

30. bjinatj

bjinatj

Still laughing at this one.

So Dave and I were chopping the top this weekend and talking about the video I posted. I mentioned you and he said "Well, these vise grips should look familiar to him because they still have his paint on them. right as he was clamping them to the car.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

belair likes this.