Register now to get rid of these ads!

63-64 Riviera Tranny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustombuick, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Kustombuick

Kustombuick

I have a 63 Riviera with the Dynaflow Transmission that is giving me trouble, I have access to a 64 Riviera Turbo 400 with all the parts, pieces and shifter. Will this Tranny bolt up to the 63 Nailhead? Thanks, Alan...

2. Kustombuick

Kustombuick

Thanks Hnstray...Any one else with some info???

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. Like Hnstray said, check about flywheel. You'll also want to make sure you have the drop out crossmember from the '64 as I think the mounting points are different. Aside from those two parts, you should be able to bolt straight to it. It may or may not be a "switch pitch" 400 as they were only on select models in '64, but on most '65s. An easy way to tell is that there are 3 dimples on the bottom of the trans fluid pan and a wire connected to what looks like a kickdown switch that attaches to the intake and carb.
    You may want to check with Russ Martin at Centerville Auto Repair on the flywheel question as I think he puts out new ones.
    Hope this helps.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You may want to check EBAY for the crank to flywheel adapter. Also try V8Buick forum online. There is guy that makes the adapters and has been mentioned on the Buick forum.

5. urslo

urslo

I did a dynaflow to super turbine 400 swap on my 1963 Riviera.
    I swapped the frame from a 64 Riviera.
    Too many things different;
    Driveshaft, shifter, console, carrier bearing location, trans mount, flex plate, starter, engine crankshaft, cooler lines, trans mount location, and I'm sure there's more.
    It would be cheaper and faster to rebuild the dynaflow , but the 400 does seem to accelerate better. I did have to buy a crank adapter and mini starter from Russ Martin.
    Looking back, I can't say that it was worth the effort, but I had a 64 parts car and I did a frame off restoration.
    Good luck,
    Ron

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Urslo (Ron) is right. 63, 64, and 65 are all different. I converted my 63 drivetrain to a 65. I posted some pictures and tried to explain all the details that come with it on here. Basically, You have to use a complete 65 drivetrain once you switch transmissions. The back of the crank and how the fly wheel locates is far different. I believe someone makes a spacer to adapt this. In my case... I purchased a 65-66 Riv motor and trans. The motor was rebuilt, The trans needed rebuilding. Once we started investigating what i needed, its quite a few pieces and you have to convert the whole drivetrain to a 65. The trans mount locates further back so you have to get a 65 crossmember and drill and bolt that in. The drives shafts are different in length than 63. 65's are more equal in length (probably designed for less vibration) so the carrier barring locates further back but, a 65 carrier bearing is also shorter in height on how it mounts and the bolt spread is less. So we made a spacer block with two through holes, Located the center of the frame and where the carrier bearing locates (You cant do this until the engine, trans and rearend are in the car) Unless You have the body off the car, then it can be welded in. If not, You'll need a spacer bolted in so the driveshafts run balanced and at the right angle. And you also need a 65 rearend/pig. Its just like a Ford 9 inch in design. Pull the axles and swap. 63 has a U-joint. 65 has a Flange. I did here of other people try to make 63 and 65 driveshafts mate up but had a lot of problems. So i would say, dont try that.
    Other things are a 65 shifter. WIth this i made a little sacrifice. The throw of the 65 shifter is greater than 63 because of more gears and the pattern is different obviously. I like the look of the 63 console chrome work better than 65 so i kept my original console which is the problem. Because the travel is greater and the slot is shorter, I can put it in drive but unable to manually shifter 1st and 2nd. For me... This does matter right now. Its not a race car. it drives great in D. But, Later, I will find another console and section them to make the whole thing a bit longer and then mate a 65 shift gate with the 63 console chrome.
    Back to what you need, All that being said, You need a 65 Shifter and trans linkage. You will also need the trans kickdown switch that was mentioned in a previous post. You will also need a 65 gas pedal and linkage, they are different again.
    63,64 and 65 are all different when it comes the the drivetrain. Because it was a 1st gen car, They kept changing it to make certain things better each year.
    Here's a link to my change over. Hit me back with any questions and good luck.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812902