Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1957 cadillac brake swaps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boscosis, Mar 17, 2014.

1. boscosis

boscosis

I posted a question earlier and can't find it now, if double posted I apologize...
    I've got a '57 Coupe de Ville that I'm trying to get back on the road but I'm stuck at the brakes. I've rebuilt the cylinders and m/c but after research I don't think I even want to try messing with the hydro-vac booster (the car has sat since '73).
    Any feedback on the firewall mounted m/c and booster that Caddy Daddy offers? Does anyone else have any thoughts as to how to retrofit a dual reservoir m/c onto this thing without major surgery? I'm fine with manual brakes too.
    Except for the brakes this car is staying all original. I've had it since 1994 but only recently went through the motor and I can't wait to get it on the road. Thanks

2. boscosis

boscosis

So no one has purchased the kit from Caddy Daddy yet? I may be forced to spend the $700 and be the guinea pig I guess...
    I'll post my findings when I do the deed; I can't call for any tech information as they are only a web based business.
    Does anyone want to see pics of my poor old car? Unfortunately mine doesn't look as nice as the other $1500 '57 on here recently but I still dig it.

3. yeah, lets see a picture.
    that car has a treddlevac master in it now? what does the kit include?

4. oltruckag

oltruckag

Seems odd that a company that has been selling parts for "31 years" won't put a phone number on the website. Looking at the address on google street view it looks like a 1 man shop, but the trailer parked in front does have a phone number on it.

I'd think twice before spending 700 on a kit that you can't talk to anyone about. I can't think of another parts vendor in all of my car dealings that I couldn't pick the phone up and call if I had questions.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it really strikes me as odd...

Tyson

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. boscosis

boscosis

I believe it's the hydro-vac for '57, which is the heart of the problem...almost impossible to poor-boy into a dual reservoir system. I understand the booster was unreliable even when new...and it's expensive to rebuild now.
    Honestly I don't even want power brakes, just a properly sized manual master cylinder but there is no easy way to get it.

Agreed, I know nothing about Caddy Daddy or this booster kit and hoped someone knew something.

I know there are a few guys running '57's around here...what are you doing with the brake systems? Thanks

6. oltruckag

oltruckag

Followup - he's got contact information on the core return paperwork. http://www.caddydaddy.com/~caddydaddy577/uploads/media/core_policies/BRAKE%20BOOSTER%20MASTER%20CYLINDER%2010-8-03.pdf

1837 Tanen Street
    Napa, CA 94559

Phone: (707) 252-2339
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Fax: (707) 252-0266

The booster kit on the website looks pretty good, but it still seems odd to me that they don't want phone calls. Maybe business is great and they don't have time to chit-chat (I could see that being a problem), or maybe it's a one-man shop. If thats the case however, I wonder how great the service after the sale is if something doesn't fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  7. txturbo

txturbo

Is the booster/master mounted on the firewall or up front by the radiator on the 57?

8. boscosis

boscosis

Master cylinder is frame mounted, booster is divorced and on the firewall.

9. Caddystew

Caddystew
    from East Texas

Wanted to check to see if you ever installed the caddy daddy setup and if so how it worked?
    thanks

10. logic2

logic2

Hello

Any update on this thread ?
    Did you ever find a reliable dual reservoir system ?

How did it work out ?

Thanks
    Mike