Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Canned Ham..... Yum!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

are you upgrading any of the tanks to larger sizes (waste water or fresh water), what about any other features being brought up to modern standards.

My neighbors just bought a modern version of a Canned Ham from back east. nice trailer but with modern electronics, AC and larger tanks for those long weekends on the go.

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

This one will have a microwave, Refrigerator instead of an ice box, 110 volt option when parked, electric water pump. The goal is to keep it as original looking as possible, so most the modern options will be hidden. There never was a waste water tank on these Shastas, just a drain on the outside. This model, the airflite had no bathroom provisions.

3. Any more updates? HRP

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Its been coming along great! I'll post some pics late this afternoon after I finish plowing this dump of snow out the driveway!

5. I'm going to look at a old mid 50's Shasta later this afternoon,It needs everything but it's got the right look.

I might have to hit you up for some of your plans. HRP

6. Chaz, how much did you get over there? We have well over a foot in the yard over here.

Doug

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The model car club I used to belong to (when I had surplus time!) had a contest every couple of months...
    My wife and I were at Save-Mart shopping, and I spied this very small "Canned Ham!"

When we got home, I removed the ham, ribbed and re-attached the cut-off side, ('lid') and cut small square holes to slide 1/4" channel rails thru like a scale chassis...1/25 scale F100 wheels...left the art on it, Dubuque "Canned Ham".
    Hooked it up to the scale model of my '55 Effie. Wish I had a pic..

Busy today copying your roller, Chaz! Just what I was trying to figure out for the past 4 days...Then I saw this. Excellent!
    Good idea on the ceiling blower, too. (I didn't know you could get a flat one like that!)

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

At my house we had a solid 9 inches of snow. I've got a big driveway/parking area so it takes a Looooong time to clear it. I'm running out of places to put the snow!
    Here's some pics of the interior. We've rebuilt it using the old walls and cabinets as patterns, so it'll be like a brand new 1959 Shasta Airflite. The changes are subtle. Microwave, water pump, power vent in the ceiling, and Refrigerator instead of the old ice box.
    I wish these pictures would have come out better, but here goes...

This is the rear bed (still needs reupholster). The armrest/storage was an option as near as I can figure. The original had it, so we re-created it. The mattress is 6 foot four in length. The laminate for the sink counter just arrived today. We'll laminate tomorrow evening. Its a retro "boomerang" type laminate

[​IMG]

This is the luggage area above the front table. I wish this picture had come out better. Hopefully you can see the weird shaped opening with the sliding door. This is an exact duplicate of the original. I love all the art deco touches in these early Shastas

[​IMG]

Here's the kitchen area. We are going to have the cool little stove/oven re porcelained in a pastel green.

[​IMG]
    I really wish these pictures didn't suck. The lighting is just awful. It doesn't look all that awesome, but if you saw it firsthand I think you'd be impressed!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  9. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana

wish I kept the 57 Cardinal....

10. Time for a update Chaz!HRP

11. My wife just bought a Canned Ham for me to work on, she's so nice. It's in good enough condition , we're just going to freshen it up and pull it with our 57 Chevy truck. The door is so small, I have to turn sideways to get in.

And we need up-dates..

12. Why is your avatar upside down? HRP

[​IMG]

13. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Good to see this Chaz. Great progress. Gary

14. Model T1

Model T1

Looks okay to me. Your monitor is upside down HRP!
    Good luck both of you on your new old campers.

15. purple

purple

I've been wanting a Shasta Just because I live here in the Shasta area. I do know where one is behind a fence, a block away from my wife's cousin in Shasta Lake City. But I need it to be usable because I have too many projects going.

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The interior is getting close to completion. We sent the stove panels off to be re-porcelained, and an upholsterer has been engaged to re-cover the seats. We have framed the last of the interior cabinets (this one houses the refrigerator, microwave and a closet)

[​IMG]

We laid all the retro boomerang laminate on the tables and sink base, and by month's end the interior will be in brand new condition... All the walls and cabinets have been faithfully rebuilt to original.
    Then a bit of time for plumbing and wiring and then finally new aluminum on the exterior.

17. I hope you guys are making patterns,,I'm gonna be starting our Shasta soon. HRP

18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Get yourself a KREG pocket screw tool & bit, A pilot countersink bit, a vix bit, and lots of dust masks! We'll be tickled to share everything we've learned!...

19. Thank you sir! HRP

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Looks great! Not to hijack your thread, but I wanted to share a photo of our "Canned HAMB" at Autorama in Detroit last weekend. The trailer had a line of people at least 10 deep all three days, all day long. People, spectators, car people, men, women, alike, all could all relate to the trailer. We might as well have left the truck home!

Attached Files:

21. Model T1

Model T1

I like all of these canned ham stories. Brian your wife looks so comfy there. Hope she didn't get sunburned next to the trailer.

22. Chaz,

Any chance we might see this on display at some event this summer near you? Just to show off what the shop can do of course.

23. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The trailer isn't mine, but I talked with the owner and he'd like to show it a time or two.. No concrete plans as of yet, but I'm pretty sure it will happen.

24. I knew it was not yours, that was why the "show off what the shop can do" statement. Keep us posted please, and I will try to go where it is at least once.

Doug

25. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

heres my 62 Shasta,

Attached Files:

26. See these sitting around rotting and it's a shame, probably be my next project. Beautiful works

27. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Hey, Flynbrian48! We were discussing how hard it must be to thread the awning through that extruded piece of aluminum on the trailer. Yours is the first I've seen that actually accomplished it. Is it a real PITA?

28. slicknapier

slicknapier
    from Tucson, AZ

Hey Chaz, I have a 57 Shasta and its not to bad to slide the awning in. You might have to tweak the rail in a few spots so it slides through. 2 people definitely makes i easier. Also, make sure its up high enough so the corner of the door doesn't rip it!

29. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We finished all the interior cabinets this weekend and can now move on to the exterior. The cushions are at the upholsterers place, and the stove is being re-porcelained to a cool green color. All the cabinetry is identical to the original 1959 stuff but BRAND SPANKIN NEW! There were a few modifications to the large cabinet interior partitioning to allow for a refrigerator and a microwave. The photos still aren't the greatest, but for sure they are better than the last bunch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now we can strip off the aluminum exterior, wire ,plumb and insulate. This has been a real enjoyable project.

The old interior...............
    [​IMG]

30. Nice job on the interior!