Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene Winfield custom found

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Dec 27, 2013.

1. put on the dust masks and let the cursing begin! glad to see you got to paint, you're on the homestretch now. keep it up!

2. skoh73

skoh73

Keep on truckin' gents!

3. Did you all make a final-final decision on the color?

---
    Posted from my steam-powered tablet...using the best Android app out there!

4. cabong

cabong

Well, I must be doing something right. I was invited to Margene's 80th B'day party. Lots of people there, but you know, Leland and I did our usual.... sit on the side and talk cars. There was a couple there that had been friends with Leland since the 50's, and the wife, in all seriousness said, it's a shame that Leland changed that Chevy around. If he still had it in it's original shape, just imagine how much it would be worth today. Heellooooww.....I had to tell her that not only was it worth more as it is, in dollars, but it's invaluable to the history of custom cars, and to the world of greezers the world over. Man!!!!!

This is a pic of Leland and one of his daughters, Rhonda, and Margene is in the background, in, you guessed it, purple.

[​IMG]

We're still leaning to the color shown previously, although we've been tinkering with a tad more violet toner.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. purple

purple

gotta love a good purple

kidcampbell71 likes this.

6. you would know lol

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. cabong

cabong

Tomorrow I make the trek to Ogden, Utah to drop off the parts to be plated. I hope they all turn out okay, although Ogden Plating has a good reputation. Now I'm really git'n anxious. On the way down there I'm taking a wee detour to check out a '58 Chev Biscayne 2-dr sedan that sure looks like it may have been painted by Larry Watson. I'm hoping that there might be some indication that he painted it. If he didn't do it, someone sure did a good imitation.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for pic of the Family - always good to put a face with a name.

9. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Hey bruce, did you receive the spears I sent?

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Ogden did all the chrome plating on my '55 Cadillac...it's the best I've ever seen...I'd recommend them highly...

R-

11. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Hey Cabong, Is this the 58 Biscayne your going to see. If it is I can give you information on it's original owner, and painter. Send me a pm.

Attached Files:

12. cabong

cabong

Well, I came back from Ogden with only holes left in my pockets. Ogden Chrome is rather expensive, but they have always done excellent work. Now comes the test. They have recently changed hands,and hopefully the attention to detail is still there.
    Hey Cleatus.....Got the spears, and you are correct, they are wonderful. I believe they are off a '53 Merc, which is fine. We will wait for paint, which should be within 3 weeks, and determine at that time what to do with spears, upper or lower, and the side trim.
    Hey Studedude, if the trim turns out like that on your Caddy, I'll be tickled crapless!!!!! Fineassed Cad.
    Also, I checked out the '58 Biscayne, and it was NOT a Watson job, nor was it worth the effort to go take a look. Too bad..

13. good to hear more progress. what all was wrong with that 58'? looks like a neat vintage kustom project to me.

14. cabong

cabong

Regarding the '58 Biscayne.......It was a real shame, as what was there seemed okay. it's what can't be seen in the pic that hurts the peepers. The right front fender is gone, as is the entire floor, front to rear and all supports. I don't know what happened, but the body is just an exterior shell.
    Went to see Travis today, and the body work is all done, and all the existing paint has been used for blocking. Now comes heavy sealer, primer, and muscle. It actually looks much better as it now sits that it did with that awful color and grille. I'm jazzed!!!!!!!
    Chrome is being done, I'm short my left nut, and am going to call Gene this weekend to schedule paint. Did I say I'M JAZZED!!!!!!!!!!

15. I can't speak for the rest of the posters on this thread but, MEE TOO!! <!-- / message -->

16. cabong

cabong

Well this is the last time Leland's critter will be seen in this condition. Friday it will be all black epoxy primer. The first blocking was with all the existing paint and primer. Now the final blocking will be done. Then seal and paint. Hot Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

This shot gives a better feel for what the shape of the hump is. Again, we'll wait 'till post paint to determine what spears and potential front side trim to use. I found another blue which is real close to the last one, cep'n a tad more purple. It's Ford Fiesta Spirit blue, a.k.a. Performance blue.

[​IMG]

17. racer_dave

racer_dave

I don't wanna wait for more, but I guess I have too...

18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'm getting excited!

Nice choice.
    [​IMG]

19. alchemy

alchemy

You're going to wait til after paint to fit and drill holes for the undecided trim? Sounds like you would invite scratches and chips. And the metal on the edge of the holes will rust.

20. cabong

cabong

I gotta agree with you AL, about the potential for issues, but I just can't bring myself to make any additions final 'till after we see the color.

I have a bigger concern now, and will share my thoughts. I spoke with Gene today, and we are finalizing the trip up here for him. Leland is really looking forward to talking him after all these years. Now, Gene wants to do a fade paint job, and Leland isn't really tickled about a multi-color, or dark-light fade. I really like the idea of Gene finishing this puppy after 60 years, and I gotta keep Leland happy. Whaddayall think????

21. cabong

cabong

Hey Gotgas!!!! Thanks for the pic. That to me is a great "burple" What do you think??? That color with the bright white top sounds bitch'n to this 'ol fart......

22. George

George

Might be my computer, but it looks really blue to me.

23. That's a tough one. On the one hand I kind of agree with Leland and don't think I would want a fade paint job on that car either and it is his car. On the other hand any competent painter can paint a car a solid colour and very few can do a fade like Gene can so having him paint a solid colour is a nice story but kind of leaves an almost "yeah but anyone could have done that" feeling to the whole thing. But in the end I think you have to go with Leland as I don't think he will ever be truly happy with it if you talk him into a fade job.

24. Gene does incredible paint work and can pull off fades like no other.

25. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

I agree with K13. It is Lelands car and you want him to be happy with it after all. I would be a shame to go through all this and have him not like the paint. Let Leland make the call on single shade or fade.

I personally think a single color fade would be killer on this especially by Gene.

26. salguod

salguod

Why not get 'em both on the phone and let them fight it out? :-D

27. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

This thread rules.

28. Torchie

Torchie

My 2 cents
    Agreed. Just doesn't seem deep/dark/grape colored enough. Plus it looks like a modern metallic.
    While I respect Mr Winfield and all that he has done it would be a shame to go thru all of this just to have Leland be dissapointed in the final paint job.
    And personally I don't see this car in a fade paint job.
    One question that I would ask would be when this car was originaly built was Mr Winfield doing his Fade'd paint jobs or would it have been a straight color?
    As stated just my opinion. :)
    Torchie

29. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

No, I feel the car isn't right for a fade paint job...and I'm not 100% convinced that Ford color is correct for the car either...I doubt that color was around back then and/or it isn't something that would be "traditional" on the car today. Just my 13 cents worth...I'd stay with the purple you found previously...

R-

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I would have to agree with Leland. No fade. I bet once Gene and he get together that Gene will also agree with Leland.