Register now to get rid of these ads!

stall converter and gear ratio question for blown sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleyboy61, Apr 23, 2013.

1. harleyboy61

harleyboy61

Absolutely being cautious I know I just need to run the bitch. I am going 3.73 Thanks

2. harleyboy61

harleyboy61

I heard richmond has gone down hill since they sold supposedly motive bought them . Leaning towards Oem or strange, Ever here anything about percision gear ?

3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Stall has nothing to do with performance, it is used to compensate for a radical cam that will not idle right, or for drag applications so you can rev the engine up withoout it hooking up. I suspect your problem is with the gear ratio

4. Precision gear i've heard have been ok,not familiar with Strange's brand of gears (probably Motive gears in a Strange box)

I've heard alot of good things about Yukon's gears on other forums also,nothing but positives.

I've heard that Motive moved the Richmond tooling overseas (China?)
    nuff said..

5. Huh!?

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Pretty much correct. havent bought any of the Richmond since the company changed hands, but they have always been my choice. In the past, the 69 series gears were noisier and stronger. I dont really mind a noisy gear set.

7. gasshole

gasshole
    from new jersey

Man you had me going there for a minute.

8. harleyboy61

harleyboy61

Where would I get gm gears besides a dealer ? Are they strong as yukon my friend has had good luck with yukon mostly off road stuff .

9. Originally Posted by OLDSMAN [​IMG]
    Stall has nothing to do with performance, it is used to compensate for a radical cam that will not idle right, or for drag applications so you can rev the engine up withoout it hooking up. I suspect your problem is with the gear ratio

WTF????

10. I know some rock crawling guys that swear by Motive, in fact that's what I just put in the Henry J. They didn't move to China, somewhere around Europe I think but don't remember what the box says off hand.

11. holy moly !

12. sdluck

sdluck

Many blower companies have info on there web sites,I tune a buddys blown 8/71 406 underdriven and the timing has a lot of base and total is 35 degrees

13. sdluck

sdluck

Pump gas ,2 blower carb,msd btm ignition,boost fuel pressure regulator.

14. harleyboy61

harleyboy61

I am going to look into motive as long as there not china made I would use them .

15. harleyboy61

harleyboy61

I would run 35 total but from what I have learned at this point I would need a timing system that can retard as the boost goes up . If I tried it I wouldnt be able to here If I was getting any detonation/ pinging plugs and my wide band o2 sensor wouldnt show it . Most I have seen some one run with out boost retard system is 32 on pump gas .

16. harleyboy61

harleyboy61

I would run 35 total but from what I have learned at this point I would need a timing system that can retard as the boost goes up . If I tried it I wouldnt be able to here If I was getting any detonation/ pinging plugs and my wide band o2 sensor wouldnt show it . Most I have seen some one run with out boost retard system is 32 on pump gas .

17. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

What blower are you running? Have not seen it mentioned. Also what ten bolt rear?

18. harleyboy61

harleyboy61

6-71 gm 8.5 10 bolt

19. Just so you know they are made a bit harder in the material and will whine, but you are whining already with that blower.

20. sdluck

sdluck

We have a boost retard ,BTM by MSD

21. sdluck

sdluck

We also have a electric water pump,with aluminum heads, temp 160 on freeway, 5 spd keisler trans with 4.10 gears

22. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

turn up the boost..............instant more torque

23. Go with 4,10ish and 3000-3200 converter. In a really light car should be QUICK!

24. That took almost a year

25. "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

26. sdluck

sdluck

Sorry,but it Has not been needed (BTM) blower is under driven,not sure what 5 gear is overdrive wise but freeway speeds 60 to 65 are 2000 rpm pulls good from there.The car runs best when it has heat in it.

27. yruhot

yruhot

OK MY two cents worth.If street driven alot go with 3.73 or 410 will get you rollin and put a built 700 R or built 200r trans with the overdrive to tone down those gears on the highway. If I'm correct the 700R has a pretty stiff 1st gear that will also help in launching the car. Of course I don't know what you expect for economy with two 750 carbs but it might work out for you. Doug at yruhot

28. Most 700's in a truck application have 3.06 1st gear. I think 200's have 2.46/2.42? 1st gear.

29. x2 ^^^

30. Saxxon

Saxxon

All due respect to the forum and the folks on this, when you post a request for an opinion you get... a lot of opinions, then you spend a ton of time sorting out which one you think is right.

I chased the demon blower combination with my Scout all last year. I spent a boatload of money chasing things from all angles including rear gears, timing, fuel pressure etc... I Finally did the math... and that told me I had 22% convertor slippage through the runs. I picked up the phone to TCS Convertors and spent 2 weeks sending them information, build sheets, time slips and dyno numbers. They came back with a solid and confident recommendation. I would love to say it has all worked out but we haven't run the combination yet. (3 feet of snow)

All I'm saying is... talk to the professionals. It'll save you $$$ in the long run

If they say the same thing that a couple of guys in this forum are telling you, then file that information away for future reference and listen to what they have to say going forward