Register now to get rid of these ads!

Acrylic Urethane - Stored in Garage through winter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Mar 15, 2014.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, I'm finally to the point where I need get my paint supplies back in order to finish up my car. I've already painted the chassis, fuel tank, grille shell, and headlights. Time for the body!

The paint has been sitting for a few years now. Two of which were in a garage through hot temps (100-ish max) and freezing winters (teens temps for days). I have a gallon and a half sprayable of the color I need to lay down. It's acrylic urethane single stage. I'm concerned that maybe sitting through a couple hot summers and a couple cold winters that maybe it might all be garbage now. In all reality, the garage didn't see those extreme temps, but I'm fearful.

I'm open to buying new color and activator, but I'm more concerned about buying color and it not matching what I've already laid down. So before I get hasty and just re-buy a bunch of spendy paint supplies, I want to make sure it's not fine to use.

Thoughts? Input? Keep the color, replace the activators? Put the paint on a shaker and check foooorrr...? What do I look for?

Thanks for any help!

S

2. shake it up real good like... if the activator has been opened then replace.. otherwise go mix shoot repeat.. you would be surprised how many paint stores are not climate controlled and their products go through the same type of temp changes as your bought products.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay! Good to know. I think I would be a little more concerned if it were water-based. But I have to ask! I don't want to lay down a whole paint job and then have it start lifting or checking a couple months later.

Should I at least replace the activators?

4. I have had paint go bad due to freeeezing . And another can be ok . My PPG rep says just bring it in and let him shake it good and he tells me if it ok . Sure can save a lot of work .Good luck and lets see the finished product .

5. Just today I opened a half-used gallon tin of acrylic which had been in my workshop for- 31 years! The temperature regularly gets to 115 degrees, but never below about 50, I mixed, thinned and shot it, and it turned out fine.
    it was a metallic, and it just needed a good mixing.
    Try shooting a test piece, take it out in the sun and inspect it, you will probably find it is still OK.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm thinking it will be fine as long as you mix it well. I want to see plenty of pictures of the results :)

I'm planning on buying the same 36 Washington Blue from TCP Global and a TP tools HVLP system to spray it.

Any tips and pics you can post on your prep and painting would be great.

7. Hey Scott up until we converted to water in Canada everything was shipped in unheated trucks up here. We regularly see temperatures that can hit -40 in the winter and there were never any issues. I would replace activators as they tend to be the part that goes bad first but your paint should be fine.

8. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

as long as its still liquid shake it up and you should be fine. make sure before you shake it get a paint stick and scrape any sluge off the bottom of the can. Mixing up a small amount and doing a test panel wont hurt if your worried.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys! This is all great input! I'll open up the cans, do a quick stir to see if I see anything not right and then take it to work and have the paint shop put it on the shaker for awhile.

What about the activators and reducers? Should I replace them?

10. I would especially the activators they definitely have a much shorter shelf life and if they have been opened even shorter.

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Scoot,

I'd suggest you atleast mix and shoot a small test panel with, say 1/4 pint of the suspect material. Pay close attention as you strain and stir it, and look for any ''grit-like'' texture in the mix. Also, watch for how long it takes to fully harden. If after an overnight period in average shop temps. it's stlll wet or soft shit can the hardner, and replace with like & kind product. Mix and reshoot with the fresh hardner, and retest your results.

Avoid opening any of the full gallon cans until you're ready to shoot larger areas, as oxygen can fuck with paint, and is the kiss of death to hardner!:(

In the past, I've mixed acrylic enamel, that was well past its third decade old, with white gas and cheap hardner, and it's flowed and kicked just fine** don't try this at home**;)

Ya learned to play the bango or row a canoe yet?:eek:

" Spending a nation into generational debt is not an act of compassion "

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Thanks Rex! No banjos, no canoes, no camo clothing yet, however... I did buy a '64 C10 short bed that has a gun rack in the back window. :eek::rolleyes:

Funny... I was thinking about you the other day. Got into a conversation about DMC's and I thought of the story you told me about working there... :D

I think I'll just go ahead and dump the hardener and reducers. I need more anyway. Two of the cans of color I have haven't even been opened, so that will help my odds. I'll look for anything weird while straining.

Huge help everyone! THANKS!!

13. as long as the paint did not freeze/put the can on a shaker/you will be fine.

14. replace activaters/hardners/only if there rock solid hard.if they clear up when you stir/mix and paint.at worst paint and or hardners/dry or set up if not sealed when stored.

15. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I don't know how true it is, but someone told me always store your paint cans upside-down. This ensures an air tight seal, he claims the metal to metal paint tops and cans won't keep the air out for any extended period. Any truth to it?

16. if it bothers you that bad/buy all new supplies,your not listning to a word the post are telling anyway.i looked at the replys/mixing white gas and hardner or laquer thinner/the paint will fall flat on is ass.ive been painting 36 years/what the hell do I know about paint ? never any advice from me again...

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Mister sensitive :D :rolleyes:

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whoa... :eek: What was that? Was that directed at me? Did I miss something here? :confused:

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I wouldn't be too concerned, maybe he missed his meds :D

I'm hoping to see some updates once you get painting.

I'm sure I asked you, but can't find it or remember :D but the color you are using is 1936 Washington Blue SS urethane from TCP Global correct ?

Thanks, Larry.

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! That's the one! Can't wait to see this thing in color. I chose that color like 5 years ago, I think. Been burned into the back of my brain ever since!! Will be exciting. Just hope I don't screw it up... HAHA! :D

Hope nobody seriously thought I wasn't paying attention to replies, here. Just looking for input from the masses. All is appreciated very much.

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

22. HAHA always one in the crowd. The best part is no one really replied to him so maybe he was yelling at himself.:confused::D

23. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Scoot,

Don't take it serious or personal, if you've ever spent much time talkin to any of us painters, you'll see we tend take ourselves way to serious! Add to that, huffin thinner rags for thirty or fourty years, and we all think we could be the next oracle!:eek: If ya ever get board to tears, jus read some of the posts, here on the HAMB on '' who makes the best paint '' and you'll get every 5150 who ever opened a can of paint show up with his soap box.:p

'probably a good idea to shitcan the hardner and reducer. Ya could ''recycle'' the reducer, and use it to light your still when ya run your next batch.:D

One nice thing 'bout a single stage/solid colour is if ya ''sign it'' or have some dry spray areas, ya can coloursand them out, and polish as necessary.;)

Good luck

" Do not reach greedily for the Kool-Aid "

24. Classic Rex......I'm looking forward to seeing this!

25. ebfabman

ebfabman

"The paint has been sitting for a few years now..."

Two years....heh....I have a gallon of beautiful lite blue metallic Centari that was mixed in 1992. I put it on the shaker for a minute or so, popped the top, chopped up the chunky caked up silver metallic that was stuck on the bottom of the can. Then put it on the shaker again for a few more minutes. Popped the top again, took a stirring sick to it, and it was just like the day it was mixed. Can't wait to use it. I'm sure its been in sub freezing temps a time or two (like several times each season) over the last 22 years. Its acrylic enamel, not latex. <!-- / message -->

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHAHAHA! Classic! Thanks for the laugh, man! :D:D

Shhhhh!! You weren't supposed to tell anyone about the "batches". ;)

27. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotta borrow my buddy's 40 Ford to run moon shine! ;):D

Excited about the C10. Complete with title for $800. Needs the usual lower patch panels and some work on the bed, but other than that it won't be much more than a stock PU that's lowered a lit bit. I need a truck to haul stuff with... May as well be a cool old one. :)