Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 26 T Coupe Build-First Rod!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sundown Kid, Dec 1, 2013.

1. willymakeit

willymakeit

Nice T. What steering box are you using?

2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car looks great ! I love these T coupes. I bought a 27 body this past fall. I still have a couple projects ahead of it, but already gathering up the parts. I really like what he did with the roof. Great to see young guys like you interested in these old Hot Rods ! Good luck with it.

3. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

flaming river!

You are awesome, thank you so much for taking the time to help me!! The axle is new, and I will look into the beads. Im gonna try to do the alingment this weekend, hoping for good results!!

And everyone else you rock too! thanks for the kind words

4. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Everything blackout said, was correct and explained perfectly... It should be a link that pops up when anyone asks about bump steer. Great looking T dude. I'm down 35 a ways but hope I see it in person some time... I looked at the pictures and could be wrong, happens a lot, but I don't see any caster in the axle. The spring perch has no caster which leads me to further believe this. It's an easy fix if so and will help the problem. I had this same problem on my first build, don't discount the wheels wobbling just yet as that was part of my problem too. Yours look like 16s and are generally truer than the 17s I had. What I did about the caster issue was build a leaf spring spacer that bolted to the top of the spring using the bolt that was essentially a wedge laying the leaf spring back. Then I pie cut the bones at the yoke until they matched the same degree as the spring 7-10. Tip, a single cut with your average chop saw blade is almost right at 7 degrees. Fixed my problem for sure. Hope this helps.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. sixpack191

sixpack191

6. sixpack191

sixpack191

Very nice T!! Cant wait to see it done

7. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Hi everyone, sorry its been a long time since I've posted on here. Things have been pretty crazy in my life lately and sadly I haven't had much time to work on the T. This weekend I redid the T headlights though and got em back on (what a mess the buckets were!) While these aren't my final headlights I'm gonna run, i haven't had time to make the brackets for the others, so i took the older ones apart and primered em and painted the insides again. Trying to get her okay to drive for Goodguys this weekend in fort worth!! Hope to see some fellow HAMBrs out there, if you see me by the T, come say hi! I am gonna try to kick it into high gear this week to get her road ready. I ordered a Toe gauge from speedway but it didn't come with instructions, does anyone know how to work it? Heres a pic of the headlights redone

[​IMG]

and heres the toe gauge, any tips on how to work it?

[​IMG]

8. I like my t coupes un chopped but your car looks spot on! I love it!

9. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

10. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Good lookin coupe! Glad you used a T radiator shell!!!

11. inkstain27

inkstain27

12. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Thanks for all the help guys! Im gonna try and get her dialed in tonight

13. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

I did not build the car up to that point so Im not exactly sure. I believe the hoop arm was welded to the backing plate. Here is a picture I have of when it was being built

[​IMG]

14. Nice looking project, you purchased well, good luck on the finished ride.

15. willymakeit

willymakeit

That should be bolted from the back if I remember correctly

16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The bolt circle for the backing plates are the same for the F100 and 39-48 Ford spindles. A little grinding is necessary on the top of the spindle for clearance for the bleeder screw for the F100 brakes. Hope this answers your question.
    And Willymakeit is correct. The steering arm is stepped down to 1/2" and is bolted on with two
    1/2" nuts inside the backing plate.

17. AndersF

AndersF

After a look on your frontend i suggest you read about Ackerman.

18. Kume

Kume

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835391&page=3

19. fattoy

fattoy

You don't have any more close up pics of the roof? Am just trying to figure what to do with my roof now

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Got her running awesome!! She drove great all the way to the show. Had a good time at good guys friday. Didn't go saturday, as the weather was looking pretty bad. Lots of nice cars out there and met a few fellow Hambrs!!
    Made sure to have my HAMB topper on there! :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

whats ackerman?

23. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

When you turn the front wheels and go around a corner each wheel describes a different arc. Your spindles are reversed and the tie rod is in front of the axle instead of behind it. You should be able to draw a line from the tie rod ends through the king pins and they should intersect in the middle of the rear axle. The tie rods should be wider than the king pins if they are in front of the axle. There is more to it but this is a short explanation. Google ackermans angle and you'll see pictures.

24. I sure do like the proportions of this "T"...

Very tasteful all the way around

Sent VIA top secret BIGREDTODD Mobile HQ

25. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Thanks everyone!

26. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well if you end up pulling that drum off at some point, take a pic if you think of it. I've got a set of F1 plates that I'm having some clearance issues with as far as being able to bolt the hoop arm in and I'm curious how your F100 plate and hoop are bolted.

Regardless, CONGRATULATIONS! She looks fresh and crisp in your pix from the weekend!

27. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Fresh built, looking good...

28. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

I hope you enjoy your t as much as i do with mine

29. Squablow

Squablow

Neat car. Be sure to report back on what the cause and resolution to your steering/handling problems were, always good to compile info on shit like that, makes it easier for the next guy.

30. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Thanks for the nice words everyone!! :D

The steering and handling issues were def because of the toe. When using the gauge I ordered from speedway, I set the toe in right about as close to 1/16in in as I could, might be a tad bit more. Car is driving good now and Im driving the heck outta it!