Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical mix paint from 1930's paint codes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldpl8s, Mar 14, 2014.

1. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I have the paint chip card with the 1935 Chrysler colors and formulas, but the local auto paint store said they can't make paint using the old formulas and would need to mix the paint by eye. I thought there were conversions out there to translate old forrmulas to new mixing ingredients.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Better yet, there are electronic color readers that paint stores have to use the chips or sample of original paint from under dash, decklid, etc.

3. What brand of paint are you trying to get it mixed in? The only two companies that really have the info for older paint codes are PPG and Dupont as they were the only ones making paint in North America back then. It is not as simple as a conversion a company would have to develop formulas for every colour based on their own toners which for the amount of paint they would sell in those colours would be a complete waste of time.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have your paint store contact their supplier. Every paint company can furnish a modern formula for paints back to the twenties, if you have the number or name and they can look it up.

Some years back I got paint for a 1951 Chrysler from Sikkens, and they weren't even in business in this country in 1951. The local store phoned the head office and they faxed the formula the same day.

If your paint store won't or can't do this, find another paint store. If there is only one paint store in town, you can order paint online.

5. 51_special

51_special

6. imchris

imchris
    from Florida

We use Dupont(which is no longer Dupont) where I work. If you get me the code, I'm sure I can come up with a formula for you. Mix by eye?? Geez. Can't imagine that going wrong. :D

7. i recently looked for a 65 dodge green, i had the code but it was not in the computer. the counter guy called the ppg "tech line" and they were able to provide me with a quart formula so i could do a spray out for the customer to ok. the paint mixing is done at another store so they called it in, the guy mixed it, i did a spray out and the customer liked it. and it matched the interior.
    ok, truck is ready to spray the jambs, i order a gallon and give the guy the quart paint formula and ask for a gallon. by the end of the next day i go down to get my paint, the paint is not there so the counter guy calls the other store. well....the new guy couldn't mix the paint because he did not know how to convert a quart formula to a gallon :eek::confused:
    the future is doomed.

8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    '' Back in the good old days '' as my old man would say, real painters were expected to be able to mix their own colours from the then, existing bases & toners! Today, a painter who is beholden to a fuckin komputer to obtain a colour match is gonna be lightning fucked and cammel struck, as most programs are specific to the brands of toners they were written for, not all toners available today.:(

The good news is there wern't very many bases or toners used in 1935 by Mopar, the bad news is you may have an up hill battle finding a good, clean toner to mix into your colour. The fuckin EPA has required removal of all heavy metals from paint products, and the chemical based bases and toners are ofter very sad in terms of a ''true'' colour match.

Good luck, you'll need it!

Oh, DuPont has sold off their automotive paint lines, and is being run by a holding company, not guys in the paint business:eek:

" Spending a nation into generational debt is not an act of compassion "

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

10. b-bob

b-bob

I am repainting my A in original colors. Not the diaper brown that it was in the avatar! My local parts store said they couldn't use the old formulas because they were for lacquer, BUT they had the formulas for a matching color in urethane.
    Sprayed the door jambs and trunk area and it is right on.

11. zags

zags
    from the desert

Sounds like you need a different paint guy. My paint guy will go to the ends of the earth to find paint codes for me, and I have thrown some real curve balls at him. b-bob is right, you can't use original formulas, but with the code they can find a modern formula for cars going wayyyy back. I use PPG exclusively and they have been able to come up with the right color code. Even on classic import trim colors.

12. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

TCP global has paint chips that go way back. They can mix it for you

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Was just in a DuPont jobber in southwest Omaha yesterday looking for '50s-'70s engine paint codes. I was lucky enough that the counter man knew their main store downtown had a listing (but no color chips) of many of the colors I was looking for in a '62 binder. The Dulux numbers were not much of a help when he plugged them into the computer. He then pulled out a big binder of color chips corresponding to today's formulations that he uses when there is no formulation in "the system." The binder can be used in conjunction with old chip charts to narrow down a corresponding formula (they also have a color spectrometer to scan an original part). The binder full of chips may be less efficient to use in this day and age, but it is a good starting point for the technically-challenged.

It was interesting to note that he was concerned about the availability of Centari in the future, so people may want to be paying attention to this if they're trying to stay somewhat 'traditional' with the materials.

14. b-bob

b-bob

This store sells PPG paint, it is their Omni brand that is environmentally friendly.
    Lordco store for those locally.

15. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I just got a quote from TCP for a 1939 Ford color in urethane

16. Spectrometers leave a lot to be desired,the old weights conversions work about as good as anything,,but it also takes someone that has the knowledge to used the new electronic eye and the weight measures to get it right. HRP

17. metalman

metalman

I think PPG has the best conversions from old formulas (I believe TCP is using PPG formulas even in their house brand) so if your using a PPG jobber the guy just doesn't want to work. Some other brands have old paint formulas as well, I used Metalux single stage urethane on my 40 PU, the paint store pulled up a formula for Niles Blue-green right off their computer.

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have heard that the old line paint companies have filing cabinets full of 1 square foot pieces of tin, each painted with a different color from when the colors were first formulated. Some of these samples date back to the 1920s.

When someone wants an old color not in the system, they get out one of these samples and analyze it with the most sophisticated equipment known to man. This gives them a modern formula in minutes.

Don't know if this is how they do it but it is what I heard.

19. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You have to realize that a lot, if not all of the old toners might not be avalable today. Heavy metals (lead, cadmium) in them, or just odd or rare pigments (Cadillac FIremist metallic) that aren't around any more. Today's Spectrometer readings will give a close approximation, sometimes, but sometime, not so much.
    Today's stuff seems to lack the depth and richness of the old colors, hard to describe, but if you knew the old stuff, you'd know what I'm talking about.

20. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Sherwin Williams told me the paint spectrometer does not match a color exactly. It looks in the system for the color on file that is closest to what is being scanned

21. bondolero

bondolero

DITTO metal man
    TCP uses ppg conversions, and they have done the best job of converting formulas as the products evolved. dupont used to have the best for gm products but not so much any more imo.

22. Sometimes things surprise you. Usually I have to end up calling DuPont archives and they will end up giving me a modern mix code that is 'close'. However last year when I was working on a 59, I called them up with the old code and they said "you don't need a new code, its still good code in centari".

Obviously when they came out with Centari in the 70's they post-dated some of their formulas and I was just lucky.

anyways, got my hands on a couple gals of Centari before it became obsolete and painted the car!