Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Your wife is going to be pissed that you are using the silverware to mix epoxy.

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

An eternal truth if you can decipher it..."Tis an ill wind that blows from the stockyard".

Maybe you need another visit from one of those "traveling monks".

3. Ok...here goes. Matching flat surfaces in wood work is considerably harder than having them a bit offset (reveal) it makes it seem planned rather than goofed up when the surfaces do not alighn properly..A wise old cabinet maker told me his many..many years ago.. Note edges of tables, cabinets, base-crown moldings

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The same principle applies in a lot of materials. It's easy enough to plaster brickwork flush with the outside face of of a door frame, for instance, but then you will have to paint up to an imaginary line over where the materials meet, which no painter will get adequately straight; and as soon as the materials have set and settled a crack will form where the materials meet, which will not quite coincide with the paint line.

Design the door frame to protrude 5mm more than the plaster thickness, and you have a face to plaster to, an angle to paint to, and a sensible place for the crack to form.

In this way a lot of traditional "ornament" just arises from plain common sense. Modernist theorists mistook that common sense for terror-stricken superstition, and presumed to reassure sensible artisans that the world wouldn't end if they ceased to do things in their eminently sane old ways. They also wanted us to see the world as a myopic ant might see the contents of a stationery drawer, and thus gave us things far bigger than their proper size, with as little detail to them as possible. But then the things began to crack, as things do; and 20th-century water, being every bit as wet as 19th-century water, began to run in dirty streaks down the pristine geometries, without the benefit of sculptural relief to accentuate.

A.W.N. Pugin was very wise when he said, "decorate construction; never construct decoration." He understood that ornament could be functional, and therefore insisted that it be functional, rather than dysfunctionally absent.

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

Dawie. We need a like button here! Thank You.

6. yonahrr

yonahrr

We've discovered a weird trick to increase your reveal!

But it was too late to use since I'd already glued things up. After paperdog clarified his staement I still had no idea what he meant. Yes, I'm that dense. Thankfully Ned Ludd cleared it up. Unfortunately, it's too late for my box. I could, however, add some trim, wood, brass... We'll see. I glued it up and today took off the clamps and sanded a little bit. Not the greatest joint. If only I were sharper, I could have left a reveal. Anyway, I had to pick up some scaffold to repair a bit of rotting wood on my house and on the way back I stopped at a friend, Keith's, machine shop. Don, the Morgan guy, has been after Keith to buy a Morgan. Well, about a week or so ago I found a project Morgan on Craigslist--CHEAP! I think Don wound up buying it for Keith for about 4K. The chassis is done, the bodywork is straight and it has wire wheels. The engine is missing but they're TR4 engines and Don already had 3 extras. Did anyone say "Thanks, Jerry, for finding us a great deal."? NO! Well, what do you expect? Then I found them a great deal on pistons and liners. Anyway Keith has a super shop (he doesn't use it much. Too busy making money in the big production machine shop.) Here's some pictures of what your hobby shop can look like if you've got the green. BTW that English wheel is made from an old Oliver jig saw.

Jerry

Attached Files:

7. dang just call me next time

we have all the bisquit joinery tools and we don't use them either..
    just ignore my posts since when have I ever helped in any way?

8. nexxussian

nexxussian

I would love to see a Morgan with OT Hayabusa or ZX1400 power.

Of course you would likely have to reinforce the frame a touch (or maybe not, those engines are quite a bit heavier than the bike engines as I recall).

Apologies for the hijack, just had a momentary HAMB lapse. :rolleyes:

9. yonahrr

yonahrr

Loose ends

Tidying up until Ken the upholsterer calls. I fitted and mounted all the wood in the running board tool box. I also sanded and fit the ice box. The SS tee nuts I ordered were too big. Never rely on you memory, Jerry! Okay! 5/16 not 3/8. New ones will be here on Monday al la McMaster Carr. The fitting of the wood in the running board is the worst part since you have to go around all the welds and gussets and stuff. I also put all the screws in the deck. I bought a 2003 Hyundai Accent off the scaffold guy to resell and help finance the speedster. Drove it home. My recommendation: The Accent is about as cheap a piece of junk as there is. It makes my 2003 Aveo feel like an Aston Martin. But if you need a cheap car (and I mean cheap), there it is.

Attached Files:

10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I wonder. Four-wheel Morgans are a lot heavier than the old three-wheelers; perhaps within the range where bike power makes sense, but if so barely. Early 4/4s start at about 1500lbs; Plus 4s are around 1850lbs, compared to the 1100lbs-odd (in car-engined form) for the sort of Lotus 7 clone that usually get bike engine swaps. The Hayabusa-powered Westfield Megabusa weighs 970lbs.

11. A stare master

12. yonahrr

yonahrr

Korean Accent

Okay, I've been raising speedster money. Let's see... New flex pipe on the exhaust, used lock, latch and trim on the hatch, antenna trim, idler on AC belt. Hey, this might pay for the upholstery!! I did work a little on the ice box. I drilled the mounting holes and pulled in the tee nuts. Ken didn't call me and I got so wrapped up fixing the Hyundai I forgot to call him. TOMORROW!

Jerry

Attached Files:

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

If you are really going to put ice in that box, you should probably seal the wood and put some kind of a drain hole in the bottom.

14. If I know Jerry, he's already hammering out an aluminum insert with drain tube... or at least he has in his mind :D

15. patman

patman

Cast aluminum...custom machined...polished...and acid engraved.

16. I was thinking more Yak-stamped :D

17. yonahrr

yonahrr

March 13, 2014

Dear Diary,

Day 1464 of working on the speedster. Called Ken the upholster yesterday who told me he was stuck working on a pontoon boat and wouldn't be done until Friday which probably means Monday or Tuesday. I posted the Hyundai Accent on Craigslist. That weirdo on HAMB keeps sending me messages. If I've told Leno once I've told him a hundred times--I'm not building him a speedster. The guy lost his job and now he's bored. Buy another Bugatti and leave me alone. Still no word from Publisher's Clearing House.

Jerry

18. The Nigerian Prince was so pleased with the previous transaction that he is crediting your bank account for another $2,000,000 "Just because".

19. yonahrr

yonahrr

Poop

Sorry, guys, I haven't done poop on the speedster. I did sell the Accent, so that's something. I'll probably get back to work on the fenders since I'm stuck waiting for Ken.

Jerry

20. yonahrr

yonahrr

Did they have another shake up? My usual link to this thread didn't work.

Jerry

21. yonahrr

yonahrr

We're now in the general discussion department. What gives? What were we before? Untraditionally styled historical hotrod sort of thing?

22. I found it .but I did not know it was missing?

23. Ram Air Bob

Ram Air Bob

Did I understand you correctly? Jay Leno bought your Accent
    ?

24. yonahrr

yonahrr

Lost in the HAMB

Helloooo!!! Anyone out thereeee!!!!

Why do they keep moving things around?

Still waiting for Ken. I started finishing up the fenders. I never properly tidied up the aprons. The left side didn't fit so well so I beat and welded and heated on it. Then I rolled it through the English wheel to straighten it up. I also welded around on the other side. A little more welding and then the bondo starts. I guess I'll use the Accent money to get them painted.

Jerry

Attached Files:

25. yonahrr

yonahrr

That Leno, he thinks just because I've got it, he needs it. I told him I'd take a Bugatti for it but he only offered a Duesie.

26. nexxussian

nexxussian

Link works for me. :confused:

27. RamJet1

RamJet1

Works today. Yeah, it looks like there was another shuffle / consolidation.

28. so then fenders .... what color will they be?

29. yonahrr

yonahrr

You like red? I thought about black, but...