Register now to get rid of these ads!

stromberg 97 jets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toddjg, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Toddjg

Toddjg
    from florida

What jets should i be running on super with 2 strombergs sea level. i have 42 and 69 in them now.

motor is stock with dual point and offy 3 carb with center blocked.

2. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello, do you have a issue with the setup now..Does it run and how well..
    Duane.

3. Toddjg

Toddjg
    from florida

it runs well starts right up. but the plugs look oil fouled.

4. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

IF the plugs look oil fouled, I don't understand the fuel issue..I would be wondering where the oil is coming from..
    Duane.

5. Stromber 97

I do not want to interfer with this thread but I had a question regarding my jetting I have 0.45 main and 0.65 power valve it runs rich at idle made all of the adjustment I may need to change the jet to a smaller one possibly. I have a dual carb 97 strombergs set up on a V12 Lincoln flat head. Let me know

Thanks
    Frenchy

6. mackeybt

mackeybt

If you are running two 97's. you have to run one as the primary and the 2nd as the secondary. The base on the secondary has NO mixture screws and runs lean. These bases can be purchased on SpeedwayMotors.com

7. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

With the center 97 blocked off you need to run both 97s so you get equal air fuel to the engine..
    Duane.

8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

You have to? don't think so...

9. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Huge crock of BS!

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Idle and off-idle circuits are significant well above idle, and main jets cannot influence idle mixture. There is a gap between idle and serious flow from jets that needs to be dealt with! You need to understand what the carbs' several different circuits do and when they are effective before you think about this. Get the easy to find '38-48 Ford bulletins (worth their weight in gold for many things) and read the chapter on how the Strombergs function and the chapter on rebuild before you start changing things that have nothing to do with the problem at hand.
    On the fouling issue...is the black stuff on carbs fluffy and dry, or is it oily?
    Worry about air cleaners and test with them off if you are running the little chrome ones.
    Some of those are marginal, some are utterly inadequate.

11. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Wow, there IS someone more abrasive than I. This is great!

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"No Strombergs were killed or injured during this post. . . "

But notice his highly ethical and sensitive treatment of Strombergs!
    He has VALUES.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

14. bk53

bk53
    from Rowlett Tx

I know this is an old post, but thanks for the bulletin source. You just helped me understand one of the possibilities for my dual 97 setup bogging at speed.
    Thanks

15. Still haven't installed the Edmunds 2X2 on my 47.
    I now have so much information, and disinformation that I go out and look at the setup, and go back in the house....If you ask five people for opinions, you will get six opinions!

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The internet is a HUGE improvement in our information base, as you so rightly note!!
    Go ask Ford how a Stromberg works, and the old bulletins only give you ONE lousy answer.
    Ask on the internet how one works, and you can get hundreds of completely different answers almost instantly!
    Your Horoscope will help you choose the one best for you and your feelings today.

17. bk53

bk53
    from Rowlett Tx

Hi Mike,
    I kind of know how you feel. I waited 6 months after my rebuild before adding dual strombergs. There are a handful of guys here that you can listen to, who are on the same page.. I'm still working the bugs out but duals really made my 8ba 276 come alive in town. What motor are you running? What carbs have you got? are they matched up? The Pres of Dallas early ford V8 group is running dual 94's on his 35 pickup. That baby goes. My 53 will go pretty good up to 65. PM me. i'm just east of you. There are a few decent mech's around too.

Bill

18. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a load of rubbish. I know this is an old thread but heck where do these ridiculous theory come from??

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, I've seen that on the interweb, so it must be true. Ford just forgot to include info in the "how it works" bulletin on the benefits of removing the circuits that feed half the engine's operating range...

20. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

;)
    ;)