Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who Makes the best 1932 Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gonzo, Mar 8, 2014.

1. gonzo

gonzo

Ok wise guys let me beat you all to the punch and say right away that Ford does. However if you were going to pick an aftermarket supplier for your 32 frame who would you go with? It seems there's a lot to choose from and the prices mostly seem reasonable. Brookeville has a good deal but I like the idea of going with a smaller company if possible. Who's got a good story to tell on a chassis supplier that treated them well? I'll be using the venerable SBC with a T5 combo. And just because who wants to look at a thread with no pictures here's a photo of GregCT's awesome sedan that I would like to emulate. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394321877.546656.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Blackboardhotrods, Gary is a super guy and his product is superb.

3. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Cornhusker Rod and Custom. he's built about 6 frames for me. They all worked great. Gary

4. gonzo

gonzo

I found them with the google. I had never heard of them before did you use one of their chassis'? Any pictures? Thanks for the reply.

5. Remember original frames have a serial number on them and that puts you one step closer to a title if you are working from scratch.

Charlie Stephens

6. zander208

zander208

I'm sure there are a lot of reputable '32 frame builders out there, but Gary at Blackboard Hotrods built my '32 chassis and it is perfect. He runs a one-man show so it might be take a little time to get one from him, but it is well worth the wait. His prices and product are the best I've seen, and he ships. Gary is a true professional and an absolute pleasure to deal with, class act all the way.

7. gonzo

gonzo

Wow that's two for Gary at blackboard already.
    Cornhusker has a good reputation but I don't think they sell their frames without axles etc so their prices are north of my budget.

8. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

My vote goes to Cornhusker Rod and Custom .....I have 2 of his frames...both have many miles on them.....the third one is on order now..... Price is good...service is good.....pretty much a 1 man operation...if you call...Gary will answer. Dale

9. fortynut

fortynut

Build your own with parts from American Stamping in Olive Branch, Mississippi. They sell everything a man needs to build a righteous frame, including front and rear spacer-bars and cross-members. And, no, I have nothing to do with them. Also, you might check out frames by Dave Mann. I don't know squat about him but his frames look very well done and are not pricey. The Stradivarius of frame builders is, of course, Pete Eastwood. Him, I do know, and have seen him at work and his finished products and would own one myself if I were building a Deuce. He has a long waiting list, I would assume, but would ask. He's on HAMB. Happy Hunting. Carl

10. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I second that, as he has been building them for a long time and builds many cars for himself….all Deuces.

11. gonzo

gonzo

Thanks for all the replies guys! Can you buy just the Cornhusker frame with front, rear and center cross members? On their website they show only the price with 20 extra options and the cost is 6500 dollars as opposed to Brookeville ($2300) and Mann's frame ($1600!).

12. My frame just arrived from Blackboard Hotrods, and it looks really nice from what I can see (Me in Oz, Frame in Denver). Gary was cool about using the parts that I wanted, 40 rear crossmember, Ionia custom RHD x member & belled boxing plates, extra flat model a style front crossmember.

However in saying that there are a number of guys who come highly recommended...

Cornhusker Rod and Custom
    Kiwi Konnection
    Blackboard Hotrods
    Ionia Hotrods
    Clark Hotrods

At the end of the day it comes down to time frame, budget and style. Guys like Ionia will make it look like Henry's, rivets and all if that's what you want. Couldn't go wrong with any of them.

13. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=11470

why not just ask him, after all he is a hamb member.
    Al.

14. Agreed

15. I'm on my second Kiwi Konnection build. Highly recommend Duane in Bakersfield. Actually quite a few of his chassis around here in Perth Australia.
    And every one is happy:D:D:D:D

16. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

My basic perimeter frame for a '32 Ford currently starts at $2,900.00. That includes ASC rails set up on my table, with corrected rear wheel placement to center the tire in the wheelwell, Model A front crossmember, three different options for the rear crossmember, completely boxed rails, metal finished, TIG welded, and it includes polished stainless front and rear spreader bars.

My perimeter frame does not include the center crossmember. I've done several perimeter frames like this, but I really prefer to set up the entire chassis as a roller with all suspension points in place, front and rear suspension mounted, engine and trans mounted, shocks installed, steering installed, etc. There are a lot of variables that need to be considered when installing the center crossmember, and I find it's better to tailor it to what the customer wants/needs. I try to use as many original Ford parts as possible, and I make a lot of the suspension parts and bracketry in-house. I feel that these details are what set my chassis apart from some of the other aftermarket chassis that are available.

With all that said, I am a one-man shop and I typically have a waiting list for chassis work. And you really can't go wrong with any of the chassis builders that have been suggested on this thread thus far.

17. gonzo

gonzo

Thanks a lot for your input Brian, I really respect your talent.

I'm pretty sure I'll be using a Clarke Frame. This is for a few reasons.

1. They have a solid reputation from everyone I have talked to that has used them.

2. I really like the 33-34 style X member he uses in the frame,

3. I have a friend driving back from FL in a few weeks and I'm hoping he can bring it back which will save a few bucks on the freight.

Heres a pic of the cross member.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Anything other then TCI.

19. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

You can't go wrong with Gary at Cornhusker Rod & Custom or Zach and Pat at Thunder Road Rod and Custom 419-522-4712. I have had frames built by both with great work from old school rodders!

Here is Zach and Pat at Thunder Road Rod & Custom right after they built my frame and chopped the body. Second photo is my coupe recently completed.

Build:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=862612&highlight=32+spitfire

Todd-32 Spitfire
    High Noon Speed Shop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

21. TV

TV

You can't go wrong with sweeks in Bakersfield. His prices are the best and his work is the best.--TV

22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That center X member sure looks like my Chassis Engineering center.

23. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ionia hot rod shop- if you want a very creative and traditional build. They are the original creators of the belled hole boxing plates from what I can tell circa early 1990's. Meticulous attention to detail by the Lesky crew, and they have a lot of traditional chassis on the road and in magazines.

24. Rckt98

Rckt98

It is actually Squeeks from Kiwi Konnection in Bakersfield, Duane is the man to talk to there.

25. Mine was built in Victoria B.C. at Deuces Northwest. Same builder puts on the show that is well attended every 3 years.

26. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

this guys the REAL DEAL

27. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

I vote for Gary at Blackboard Hot Rods. I'm very happy with his frame that he built for me. His work is very nice.

[​IMG]

28. gonzo

gonzo

Thanks for your input turns out the guys at Clarke's are MIA so I'll be using another frame. Maybe Brookeville and maybe Blackboard as his are a screaming deal. Again thanks for the referral!

29. 61falcon

61falcon