Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 37 Buick trans to SBC

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Steel A Rod, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

Hey guys, picked up this trans a few weeks back. Wanted to know if anybody else has done or seen this set up. The trans came from a cool old named Wayne, I was able to spend sometime with him. He raced a 32 Ford Coupe with a SBC in NJ in the late fifties and early sixties. And still keeps a photo of the car in his wallet. He originally ran a Cad/LaSalle trans with a Ford tube. And after some trans issues and at the recommendation of a fellow racer named Tommy Ivo. He swapped in this Buick 6 bolt.
    He told me the trans bolted right up to the SBC bell with no adapter needed.
    After getting it home and comparing it to a couple of other Big Buick Trannies.
    It looks like all that was done was the diameter of the input shaft was turned down and the snub on the end was cut back some, and the original splines were kept. It also looks like a SBC tob guide was used. Th trans was also converted to use the Ford Torque tube.

Attached Files:

2. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

back up for the weekend crowd

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

not synchronized. worked in the day, but not ideal now.

4. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

Nobody ever heard of this set up on a SBC??
    I'm not SBC guy at all. I'm just curious and trying to learn more about what guys were doing back when.

5. So have you tried to bolt this up to a sbc bell yet? I know that it will bolt to a 51 Olds std bell but never heard of it matching the sbc. Maybe F&J would know more as he has fooled around with these trannies more lately.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've used several 37 big Buick transmissions behind Buick engines but never heard of them bolting up to SBC's.

7. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

bump, I love this old info! modern transmisstions are over rated.

8. buford26

buford26

9. Since when?? Buick transmissions were synchro in 2nd and 3rd in 37. Cads had it in 28

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

He meant not synchronized in first. It would be pretty hard to shift if not sync'd in 2nd and 3rd.

11. I'm glad you know what he meant. Virtually all transmissions were non synchro, in first gear, until modern times

12. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

Yeah saw this article right after my initial post.
    It looks like this can be done and has been done.
    Really cool. I love the old transmissions

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Learned something new today; that's one way to get a floor shift in a Tri-Five Chevrolet. Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. F&J

F&J

Have you done the swap yet? I was going to look for the 56 article, but I see it was linked.