Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FED guys help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tom C, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Tom C

Tom C

Ok I'm new to the whole front engine dragster game. I bought this for a couple hundred bucks. Now I may be regretting that. I've been told it's not ever worth building. My question is shouldn't the rails be flat when sitting on the ground?

Attached Files:

2. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

post some pics without any body panels laying on it , and yes it looks wrong, shoot some pics of the engine area, Looks tweeked to me, Tim Jones

3. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Yes they should. Looks like it went nose up and came down hard. Appears to be an older chassis and not worth fixing. The gear box would be worth the $200 if it's undamaged.

4. Andamo

Andamo

Put it up for sale. Maybe whoever raced it back in the day might want it back, even in this condition, as garage art.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Its been on here and other boards before ----Junk

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The top rail at the front of the engine looks like it's been "cut". It's either a static display car, or wall art at this point in it's life. Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. Everything they said ^^^^^^^^^^

8. AA/FA 0045

AA/FA 0045

Scrap it, and start new.

9. Tom C

Tom C

That's what I figured

10. hilltopgaragede

hilltopgaragede
    from Delaware

Yes, the bottom rails should be straight, it obviously took a hard hit. It depends on what you are going to do with it. I would not be too quick to scrap it yet. Even if you decide to build a new chassis, what you have will be a good reference. It will need updates if you intend to race it NHRA or with others and may then be too much to fix. If you just want a cool car to take to shows it will be alot less work to just fix what you got. Alot of guys build cars from scratch then call them old, at least you have a car that is obviously real. Be prepared for alot of work either way, if you fix it or start new. My rail is nothing crazy, but its real, we have a lot of fun with it at shows and on the track. People love em' because they bring back memories.

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Didnt take a hard hit to get like that---sombody was building it that way, Notice the openings for the rear end being real low to the bottom rail.
    Probably get most of your money back by selling the steering box if its a P&S

12. hilltopgaragede

hilltopgaragede
    from Delaware

Kinda hard to tell exactly what's going on from only one picture, sure looks bent. So not a FED, what is it then a sand dragster or something?

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I have seen the other pics from when it was posted last year, and has passed thru many hands at this point

14. Tom C

Tom C

Couple more pics. Is this steering box worth getting some of my money back? Just curious what other boards did you see it on? Po said he'd had it a long time

Attached Files:

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks like it has a built in wheelstand

16. Tom C

Tom C

Here's another

Attached Files:

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Cleaned up the steering box is worth $150+ if its not worn out

I think it was brought up here first on the HAMB as the owner was trying to get some history on it, so that tells me it wasnt his to start with. And then in typical HAMB fashion a bunch of post about how cool it is and should be put back to race condition if it was theirs.

Take the steering out of it and take the frame out to the curb, put a FOR SALE sign on it and have a "SCRAPPER" steal it because you left it out overnight