Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects School Me, Please: '63 Mercury Meteor 2 Dr.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadmistress, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> If anyone is interested my son has a '62 S33 Meteor that he wants to move. It's a running driving cool mid-size car. In very good condition but needs minor body work around rear wheel wells. Can provide more info if requested.
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

2. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's see some more pics of the car! :)

3. Roadmistress

Roadmistress
    from Van Nuys

I'll get on it next weekend!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. stuckonda101

stuckonda101
    from SFV, CA

Ugh! So you bought the damn thing! I hate you!!! Jk! I called but it was already sold. Asking price was waaay too low! I wish I would have seen it sooner. I've owned three of these cars, currently have a 62 sedan custom. So any questions you may have send them my way. The front suspension in itself is tricky and is what I'm tackling currently

5. Fedman

Fedman

These Cars are very rare, and in my eyes, very cool mid size Mercs.
    My Dad bought a 63 S33 Black on Red in 1965 from Fogg Motors in New Westminster BC. I thought it was the neatest Car, it was also the 1st Car I drove in 1969 when I was 10 years old. I wish it was still around. These are 2 Pics I found on the Web, Dad's looked exactly like this except it was not lowered. If this Car was for sale I would have a very hard time not buying it!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

6. stuckonda101

stuckonda101
    from SFV, CA

Would you happen to have the correct website? Or this website down too?

The crazyformercurys one is pretty dead, which is sad because it held a wealth of info.... Here's my sedan

7. stuckonda101

stuckonda101
    from SFV, CA

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394157427.723009.jpg

8. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

Sorry about that, it's www2.rdrop.com/~dano/ also known as The Mercury Meteor Page. It's still up and running.

9. stuckonda101

stuckonda101
    from SFV, CA

Thanks for the update, I already had that page bookmarked lol

10. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

11. Roadmistress

Roadmistress
    from Van Nuys

I bought it...at that price, how could I not have?? I sort of feel bad, it was definitely too cheap. The car is insanely complete...and surprise. ..it runs. Very glad that you saw the value in her too!! Sorry I beat you to the punch!

12. stuckonda101

stuckonda101
    from SFV, CA

Yes it was absurdly cheap! But there is some stuff missing so it will make up for it ha ha! Mine has been nickel and diming me to death. I just bought the last of the suspension parts I needed, spent 250. and now after not starting it for two weeks I felt the brake pedal hit the floor! There was zero fluid in the reservoir and no leakage under any of the wheels so the only thing I can assume is that it leaked from the master cylinder into the booster, which means I need to replace both :/

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Oh yeah, I went to take the kids to school in my '64 Fairlane cousin one day, and stepped on the brake pedal only to find it went straight to the floor. As much as I admire originality in old cars, you might consider a dual master cylinder in case of just such an event.

14. stuckonda101

stuckonda101
    from SFV, CA

Yes, I am upgrading to a dual reservoir cylinder. If I can swing it I'll buy a front disc upgrade

15. Roadmistress

Roadmistress
    from Van Nuys

Starting a build thread on imgur.com. I will resize the images and pop some in here, but for now...you can see her on imgur. Boy, she's ugly at the moment...one of the worst rattle can paint jobs I have ever seen! The previous owner said he fed 8 of his friends a bunch of beer and had them go to town with spray cans to cover graffiti.

Pulling things apart little by little this weekend, but so far...very complete. Feeling very good about things. (Knock on wood)

http://imgur.com/a/k9ifs

16. Roadmistress

Roadmistress
    from Van Nuys

Here's the before as she was towed in. Looks terrible. More pics on imgur!

[​IMG]

17. stuckonda101

stuckonda101
    from SFV, CA

Awesome start! Let me know if you ever need a hand or have questions... I have a few parts lying around so let me know what you need after you inventory everything.... Gosh I envy those bucket seats/center console lol

18. Roadmistress

Roadmistress
    from Van Nuys

Oh, I'm sure I'll need parts. Need headlamp bezels ASAP and the taillight lenses will be a b!tch...bezels I found on ebay for $25 each. I'll be hitting Pomona next time around and praying to find a passenger seat...so don't be TOO jealous of the buckets and bezel, it only came with ONE bucket. I can't find in my searches a seat. I don't want to go the Honda/Prelude route (while I know the tracks are the same and they bolt right into the Fairlane/Meteor, I don't want to do it.) So...anyone have a seat?

Pass seat, headlight bezels, taillight lenses. That's my start. I guess I'll be one of those people walking around Pomona with a sign around my neck. Time to air up the tires in the old radio flyer wagon.

19. stuckonda101

stuckonda101
    from SFV, CA

I need the headlight bezels also :(. Mines a 62 so they're different. I am actually gonna modify my tail lights with 59 Cadillac bullets. As far as seats go, you can find dodge a100 van seats, they used those on the thunderbolts, and yeah no honda parts please lol

20. stuckonda101

stuckonda101
    from SFV, CA

Btw: I know I have a box with emblems and such if you were to need some

21. Roadmistress

Roadmistress
    from Van Nuys

Caddy bullets: That sounds AWESOME!

Yesss, never a Honda Part shall touch the Meteor. Like the Buick...all Buick...I had plenty of people trying to convince me to do otherwise and get rid of the torque tube and dynaflow...but I like it...

I actually think that a nod to Nascar is a potential. I really love the Holman Moody Fairlane. Will look into A100 seats. They don't fold forward, right?

22. stuckonda101

stuckonda101
    from SFV, CA

I had a 59 and I loved the dynaflow also.... Mine didn't leak but I was always paranoid because everyone said they tend to. I regret selling that car :(

Yes the a100 seats don't fold forward, but if you wanted to I'm sure wherever you take them to get upholstered can make them fold

23. barstowpo

barstowpo

You should join IMOA, the International Mercury Owners Association. They have a website, quarterly magazine and classifieds as well.

24. Roadmistress

Roadmistress
    from Van Nuys

Thank you for the reference. I see you're a fellow Mercury owner.

I should join the Buick club too...

25. The_Monster

The_Monster

What a great car! I love those mercs! I bet your LOOWW price wasnt as low as my selling price! I gave a 63 away for FREE!!! Granted it was a 4 door and needed some motor work and other bits. Solid car with all chrome.
    Not to hijack your thread, but for a fun read, check out the whole thread here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579366

You can see pics of the car on the 9th page as its getting put on a trailer and hauled away. And plenty of pics of it on the new owners build thread!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588109

26. Roadmistress

Roadmistress
    from Van Nuys

That's a gorgeous car. I didn't see this one in any of my MANY searches for 63 Meteors and 63 Fairlanes. I'm saving it.

I actually read your story and the new owner's when I spent about an hour and half search the HAMB for these Mercurys. Awesome. That's such a good way for someone to learn about cars, and to let a classic live on. Awesome of you!

27. big57daddy

big57daddy

Great looking car, with lots of potential - and I see you got the Jack Daniels interior package with it, too! :)

I like the Holman-Moody approach; best of luck!

cheers!

28. 65COMET

65COMET

Try MikeCo.,they specialize in NOS and Repo tailight lenses! 805-482-1725,Camarillo,CA. ROY.

29. Roadmistress

Roadmistress
    from Van Nuys

I will call them tomorrow...thank you so much.

Yes, the Jack Daniels package and a joint in the ashtray, plus lots of empty bottles in the trunk. Interior and carpet is out, floors are solid!!

Holman Moody is definitely sticking. ..

30. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

If you do need a pair of 1963 Mercury Meteor headlight bezels or tail lights, I do have a set of each. The headlight bezels have some little nicks and scratches. The passenger bezel does have a small dent on the inside headlight and the outer headlight has a shallow ding. As for the tail lights, they do have a crack near a screw and one tail light has some scratches at the top.

Thanks,
    Tom - Glass_Packs