Register now to get rid of these ads!

iNSURANCE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terry48435, Mar 7, 2014.

1. terry48435

terry48435

Anyone know any insurance company's that sell insurance for 6 months a year.

2. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Better watch...in PA you must carry insurance to hold the plate, unsure about Michigan. In any event....I assume you want to insure the car in the summer while driving and not in winter when in storage.....with all the "out of storage thefts"....is that a wise thing to do to save a few hundred bucks a year?

3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

With Statefarm you can change your coverage to a non driver whenever you want.

4. 24riverview

24riverview

State farm allows me to suspend coverage in the winter and just call in the spring to reinstate. The ones that have comprehensive coverage, it stays on while suspended otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

5. Ditto. We use/have State Farm on the wifes OT car. We suspend coverage for 6 mos. with no issues. As a matter of fact, we just got the "reminder" in the mail today.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know who my buddy has insurance though but he does about what they were saying. He calls his insurance person and tells that he is putting the car in storage (leaving the garage door closed) and gets a storage rate that is only a small percentage of the rate he pays when it is on driving status. He has done that for the past 35 years so it must work.

7. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I use American family and it's set up so from November-may the car is in storage and I'm charged a lower rate. The rest of the year it's insured for road use. It can be a bit annoying when it's an early spring and gorgeous in April but I don't have to remember to call the insurance agent and I know I'm covered and what I'm covered for.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. zoegrant

zoegrant
    from CT

Remember that in case of fire or theft, your home owners policy will "not " help you out...you would be up a creek without a paddle...ins coverage is cheap...it cost me about $200. a year for $35,000 coverage using antique plates and with a 3000 miles limit....J in CT

9. trbomax

trbomax

We have had nationwide for 45 yrs.They insured the 66 vette when nancy first got it (in 66). We quit driveing it around 1978 and its been in the barn with comp only on it since then. same with the motorhome.Its been comp only for about 6 yrs now. Cant tell you what the corvette ins costs because its on a policy with 2 other "drivers",but that whole policy is only $830 /6 months. The motorhome is $106 / 6 months. It probably helps that all the orvs,snowmobiles,3 motorcycles and both houses are with them too.Haveing a 45 yr history helps too.

edit) in Mi you only need to provide POI when you renew your plates so they wouldnt know if you dropped it or went comp only for 6 mo.

10. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Maybe not what you might be looking for buy Ironshore Indemnity ( Condon&Skelly Agent ) has a Winter "Lay Up " rate that adjusts the annual rate to account for the fact that the car is stored in the Winter. Still a 12 month policy , but it saves $50 or so. The lay up does not prevent me from using the car if I wanted to .