Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Model A coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wildcycles, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Who's dash is that?

Cheers, Ryan

2. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Dash is from Brookville... It is their 32 dash for model A closed car.

3. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

OK, so here are a bunch of detail photos of the 3 piece hood, latching and use of Dzus fasteners, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  4. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

And here is a photo of the Brookville 32 dash with original model A dash over the top (This is how it's intended to be used)

[​IMG]

5. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

Great looking hot rod on it`s way !! Keep posting pics !!

6. norms30a

norms30a

Nice hot rod, I used the same Brookville piece and ended up with this goofy thing.Keep up the good work.

Attached Files:

7. Looks awesome. Is that a Brookville grille as well?

8. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

THANKS!

I am not sure where the grille came from. I bought in from shop that did the chop. I can find out where he got it from.

9. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks! You did a nice job on your dash!

10. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

THANKS!

Cheers! from the USA

11. Johnny99

Johnny99

Sheesh Heath you make it hard to be humble:eek:. As far as "shrinkage" hey man the waters cold! But no never really a problem with shrinking. On a hood like Heath's if you get close to the outside edge of the hood with a row of louvers it can tend to open up and mess with the fit of the hood, the braces on this hood will definitely help. Typically this can be corrected with a bit of "body English". When I'm punching I try to punch "static" ie: the hood is not draped over the bottom [female] die with the weight of the hood resting on the die nor is there a big air gap between the bottom die and the hood. Not really technical stuff, just common sense stuff.

John

12. allwilly

allwilly

Lookn good buddy!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks !!

14. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Update on engine progress and run...

Some photos--Its all ready to go. New wires on. On test stand, started right up--No water leaks. No fuel leaks, and carbs seem to be working good. Checked after shut down and no dribbling, etc. There are no chokes on these carbs, but don't seem to need any, just hit the throttle a couple of times and all three acc. pumps squirt in fuel. When warm just fires right up with out touching the throttle. End carbs set at 1 1/4 turns open on idle mixture, and throttles as closed as possible. The middle carb is approx . the same. Idles with a nice lope to it. May have to experiment with closing the mixture needles on the end carbs, etc. Runs good with good throttle response, no hesitation and good power. Fast idle for a half hour and temp. runs even on all cylinders. The fan moves a lot of air so did not get over 125 deg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close-up of the plumbing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Johnny99 stopped by today and took a look at my coupe. I handed off my hood sides to him for louvers. Still deciding whether or not to louver the top, so I will wait and see what it looks like when the sides are done and go from there. THANKS JOHN!

Richard Head likes this.
  16. brady1929

brady1929

Awesome flathead

17. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment. I am very happy with the way it turned out and it runs really nice too.

18. Johnny99

Johnny99

ta duh!

Attached Files:

19. allwilly

allwilly

Nice louvers!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks John!

They are exactly as I envisioned them... Perfect number and odd numbers to offset the rows!

21. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks! John does nice work... I need to go pick them up!

22. Great build, will be checking in often!:)

23. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

24. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks to everybody for all of the nice comments... stay tuned... will be getting back on it soon. Picked up my louvered hood sides from John today and they look great! Will be posting some pics of them installed on the car in next couple of days...

25. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

26. Stingraystripes65

Stingraystripes65
    from NWI

Looks great! Love this build!

No brains, no headaches -Ed Roth

27. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

OK, so I am back on the car again after taking a bit of a break from the project... In the meantime, I have made some minor changes in direction. I sold the dressed up flathead to my friend who did the chop and he is using it in his new project (A really cool '32 shop truck).
    I replaced it with another flathead that I already had built. It's a later model 255 cu. in. Mercury engine that has been rebuilt and had the following upgrades and parts added.

I used a new old stock cam that came out of an old Speed Shop in CA.,
    (Will post pics of stock cam next to the new one) All new Zephyr valve springs, Early Edmunds dual carburetor manifold with Holley 94's, new Mallory distributor and new Fenton cast iron headers. I used a minimum of dress-up parts on this engine and also decided to use the stock Mercury heads. The engine runs really well and has a nice lope to it. I can't wait to see how it drives with the T5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  28. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Here's a couple photos of the new cam compared to the original and the new spings installed, etc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

We also picked up where we left off on the chassis and now the rolling chassis is completed. Ladder bars and hairpins installed, rear shock mounts, front shock/headlight mounts, engine,transmission, brake and clutch pedals and steering box installed.

[​IMG]
    In this photo of the right exhaust header, you can see that I have it set in place, but have a frame clearance issue to resolve before it will fit properly.
    The header flange hits the inside boxing plate on the frame, so will be modifying the plate to make proper clearance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  30. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Here's the driver's side.. It fits really nice.
    [​IMG]